November 06, 2012    
(Updated: April 09, 2014)
Overall rating 

Craftsmanship 

Durability 

Versatility 

Value 

I can't wait to get on the Elkhorn with them

Jerebro from Bullfrog Baits posted on YakAngler.com that he was looking for some people to test out his new little tubes, and I was game. I fish a similar small tube in the fall and winter, and was eager to give these a shot; Bullfrog is more local, and they offer some colors not available from the other companies. I shot him a PM and discussed the baits, and gave him my address.

A couple of days later a cool sample pack showed up in the mailbox, and I couldn't wait to give them a shot. A crappy cold front and the remnants of Hurricane Sandy put a little delay in the test. The weather finally dried out, and even though it was cold and a bit windy I just had to give them a try. I rushed home from school, threw the Frontier and a couple of rods in the back of my truck, and off I went. I only had about an hour and 45 minutes to fish since it was Halloween.

I arrived at Floyd's Fork at 4:30 pm, and was quickly on the water for a short paddle up. With an air temperature of 49 degrees, the wind, and bluebird skies, I wasn't too optimistic. I rigged the little tube on a 1/8 oz. draggin' head, and had a fish on in no time. Unfortunately I wasn't expecting a hit so quickly, so I didn't get a good hook set and he was off before I knew it. A couple of casts later, a fish picked up the bait, and after a short fight I had the first fish in the kayak. In the next half hour I caught and released seven spotted bass, with the biggest right about 14”.

That is when I realized in my haste to get on the water quickly, I left the sample pack on the work bench in the garage. I was very impressed with how well the tube held up to so many fish. With my one little tube now unusable, I tried some store bought tubes that I generally have a lot of luck on in 3.5” size (same color), but only picked up one more fish in the next hour. The little tube from Bullfrog Baits was definitely a difference maker. I only wish I hadn't left the rest of them at home.

The Bullfrog Baits tubes are very well made. They are much softer than the ones I usually purchase, which I think will allow them to hold up much better. They also offer a slightly bigger profile and have excellent action in the water. They are offered in a variety of proven fish catching colors, and come professionally packaged. I will for sure be ordering some more baits in the future. I am sure Jerebro will have trouble keeping them in stock once people give these tubes a try. I can't wait to get on the Elkhorn with them and chase some smallies!

User Info

Waters Fished:
Small Creeks
Used:
2-6 times
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Get the YakAngler Newsletter!

Keep tabs on all the latest from YakAngler.