Kayak Fishing Boondoggle
  • Page:

TOPIC: Kentucky Boondoggle

Kentucky Boondoggle 4 years 5 months ago #1

• canoeky
  • 10+ Posts!
:fishing:

www.facebook.com/events/1147079208674040/

Announcing the first KY Kayak Fishing Boondoggle!

This event will be held at Green River Lake State Park and will feature a full vendor village, guides and clinics through the weekend. Follow the Facebook link for more info. Or call the host Canoe Kentucky at 502 227 4492. we hope to see everyone there!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Kentucky Boondoggle 4 years 5 months ago #2

• Charleston, South Carolina, USA
  • DDOlson
  • 2K+ Posts!
  • 2016 YakAngler SupporterPresidents Day Boondoggle 20162016 YakAngler SupporterPresidents Day Boondoggle 2015Columbus Day Boondoggle 2015 2015 YakAngler SupporterColumbus Day Boondoggle 2014 Presidents Day Boondoggle 2014Columbus Day Boondoggle 20132014 YakAngler Supporter PhotographerBoondoggle Website SupporterAuthorPresidents Day Boondoggle 20132013 YakAngler Supporter YakAngler Pro TeamColumbus Day Boondoggle 2012 Presidents Day Boondoggle 20122012 YakAngler Supporter Columbus Day Boondoggle 20112010 YakAngler Supporter2011 YakAngler SupporterAficionadoGreen SkullSavant YakAngler
I would love too but this event is too close with the February Boondoggle...

Kentucky Boondoggle 4 years 5 months ago #3

• canoeky
  • 10+ Posts!
Event Flyer!

Re:Kentucky Boondoggle 4 years 3 months ago #4

• Bardstown, Kentucky, USA
  • CentKyPaddler
  • 250+ Posts!
  • Ambassador Medal
Anybody else attending?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Native Slayer Propel 13
Native Ultimate FX 15 Tandem

Kentucky Boondoggle 4 years 3 months ago #5

• Clarksville, TN
  • menace
  • 50+ Posts!
I wanted to but I committed to a tournament on chick that weekend before I saw this
Anything worth doing is worth over doing.

Re:Kentucky Boondoggle 4 years 3 months ago #6

• Bardstown, Kentucky, USA
  • CentKyPaddler
  • 250+ Posts!
  • Ambassador Medal
Nobody else? Park said they have 60 sites reserved so far. Ought to be a good event.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Native Slayer Propel 13
Native Ultimate FX 15 Tandem

Kentucky Boondoggle 4 years 3 months ago #7

• All over
  • Samthetramp
  • 50+ Posts!
Just saw this. Don't know if I'll make it but very interested.
Life without risk is merely existing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: onefastrph

Kentucky Boondoggle 4 years 2 months ago #8

Brace yourselves, this is the (long) story of my first ever boondoggle and the mixed bag of events that unfolded over the weekend.

To start my cousin and I showed up late to the dinner on Friday night. The food was good but, what was better than that was winning the XL NRS yak cart in the raffle. My cousin also won the NRS tackle bag. At this point I was pretty ecstatic about my first boondoggle. After getting camp set-up and roaming around a bit we ended up having a few cold ones and shooting the bull with a few of the people around our campsite before calling it a night.

The next morning we were greeted by some terrible winds that made paddling a chore and fishing pretty tough. After a break for lunch we went back out and found cover from the wind but, still didn't have any luck fishing. I was feeling pretty adventurous so, I decided to stand up in my yak and fish. All was well for a few cast but, as you've probably guessed by now, I went for an unexpected swim. I was mid cast when I lost my balance and went over the side (did I mention I'm clumsy). I went down about 8ft into the chilly water before swimming back up and grabbing the side of my yak. I managed to swim back up and while regaining my composure on the side of my yak, I hear psssssssshhhhh and felt my chest get really tight as my inflatable PFD finally decided to deploy. Just lovely I thought as I also began to think about all the gear I probably lost. My cousin had made his way to me by this time and gave my yak with me still frozen to the side (from the water and shock of it all) a push to the bank.

Once on the bank I began to take inventory. Thankfully, my yak didn't flip over and I was only missing the rod & reel I was using at the time, along with a large chunk of my pride. I was feeling pretty disheartened but, in a desperate attempt to recover my most expensive rod & reel, I decided to tie on a couple heavy jig heads to my other rod & reel and drag the bottom of the lake. Thankfully it was warm and sunny but, it didn't take me long to figure out that I really didn't remember where I was exactly when I fell in and the likely hood of finding my rod & reel was right up there with winning the lottery. Nearly an hour and a few disappointing rod like sticks later I was defeated and ready to get back to camp and drown my misery with some cold ones. My cousin had drifted off to fish elsewhere and before I began the paddle to catch up with him, I decided to give it "one more cast".

The cast was just like the others but, half way through my retrieve I felt the hook snag something. It felt like another stick at first but, after reeling a few feet I began to notice it felt different. With much anticipation I kept reeling; could I really be this lucky or was it just a piece of trash? I was making pretty long casts with the heavy jig heads so, it took a minute to get whatever it was to the yak but, HALLELUJAH!! The worm I had tied on my beloved rod & reel was hooked on other end of my line! I had just made the greatest catch of my life. After calming myself I began to slowly pull the line in and was questioning the knot I had used to tie it to the spool. What if it doesn't hold and I loose my rod again? I kept pulling and after what felt like a mile of line, I had successfully recovered my rod & reel from the depths of the chilly Green River Lake.

Feeling even more ecstatic than I was after, the previous nights raffle score; I paddled to cousin with rod held over my head as if it were a 7ft trophy. After some disbelief and a short celebration we battled the wind again to get back to camp. Once back at camp we grabbed a quick snack and decided to check out the vendors. We were disappointed that only a few showed up (hopefully this boondoggle continues to grow) but, we got to spend some quality time with the fine folks at Canoe KY. I also got a detailed rundown of the new Jackson Mayfly from Jameson Redding and talked SUP boards and the new pedal drive Jackson with the super friendly Bridgett Howard.

At this point I was a little sun-burnt and hungry so we returned to camp for dinner. We had known it was supposed to rain over the weekend but, we weren't sure exactly when or that was going to be a storm bringing it in. I noticed some ominous, dark clouds in the distance while manning the grill but, optimistically I continued cooking dinner. The wind began to pick up and the clouds I had spotted earlier were on us quicker than I expected. I decided to check the weather from my phone. It was calling for thunderstorms and rain all day the next day. We immediately began packing up our gear but, only got half of it packed before we got soaked! We sat in the truck and ate the bacon we managed to get cooked before the storm rolled in before deciding to pack everything up still soaking wet and head to the house.

However, we weren't out of the woods yet. The ground wire for the trailer lights turned out to be too short and had broken on the way there. It was already dark so, trailer lights were a must with an 1.5 drive ahead of us. So, we cautiously made our way to Wal-Mart to get some wire and spliced it in while working in the rain. We grabbed dinner at taco bell and ended up making it home some time around midnight.

So that was my first ever boondoggle experience. It had it's ups and downs but, all in all I had a good time and would do it again (albeit I'd hope to be less clumsy and for better weather).
Last Edit: 4 years 2 months ago by RubiconJoey.

Kentucky Boondoggle 4 years 2 months ago #9

• NE Pennsylvania
  • Spider1
  • 1250+ Posts!
  • Ambassador Medal
well, ya won some cool stuff, went fishin, found yer lost rod and on top of that.... ya didn't drown!!! Sounds like a great trip! :fishing: :lol:

ya done good to survive! :bravo:

Kentucky Boondoggle 4 years 2 months ago #10

• Apison, TN, USA
  • MontyMurdoch
  • 800+ Posts!
  • 2016 YakAngler Supporter2015 YakAngler SupporterAmbassador Medal2014 YakAngler Supporter 2013 YakAngler Supporter Presidents Day Boondoggle 2013Aficionado
Good report.
  • Page:
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?