Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Kayak Fishing Answers Forum

TOPIC: Kayak load assist

Kayak load assist 1 year 1 month ago #1

• Swampscott, Massachusetts, USA
  • SigPig94
  • -10 Posts!
Hi all...hope everyone is staying healthy (and sane) during this difficult time. I just ordered an Old Town Sportsman 106 (73 pounds) and was planning on using the Malone Channel Loader to assist me in getting the boat on top of my vehicle......does anyone have any experience/advice/etc regarding this Malone item? There seems to be quite a few similar products/options currently on the market so any input would certainly be welcomed! Thanks and stay well!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Kayak load assist 1 year 1 month ago #2

• brownel02
  • -10 Posts!
My concern with this type would be breaking a back window. I use the Thule Hullavator on my pedal monster and they work great. Easy enough to load by myself:

www.rackwarehouse.com/thule-898-hullavator-pro-roof-rack-kayak-carrier.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwkPX0BRBKEiwA7THxiMEIZVpA_Br4ENXX932eu5T_pG8qAJ2lBZUakSTaa88dcoeozQUBKRoCTwUQAvD_BwE

Just my thoughts.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SigPig94

Kayak load assist 1 year 1 month ago #3

• Ridgecrest, California, USA
  • Kayak_angler
  • 1250+ Posts!
  • 2015 YakAngler Supporter2014 YakAngler Supporter Columbus Day Boondoggle 2014 Ambassador MedalTravelerReviewer
At first I was considering getting a load assist but I finally discovered how to load my 85lb yak on the roof of my SUV and now a van. I struggled at first loading it myself so I always had my wife or a buddy help me load it. Eventually, I got to the point where I wanted to go out by myself sometimes so I had to figure out a way to load by myself or spend the money on a loader.

Below is a description as to how I load my yak on the roof of my van:
  • Place a boat roller on rear window
BoatRoller.jpg

• Place rear end of yak on ground a few feet from rear bumper with front of yak facing 90 degrees
  • Lift front end of yak and walk back to rear of vehicle and set front end of yak on the roller
  • Grab rear end of yak, lift and slide forward onto the roof rack

• This way you aren't lifting the weight of the entire yak yourself, only a small portion while moving the yak around. Once you get the front of the yak on the roller it is easy to push the yak on the roof rack. I do this all the time since I do a lot of yak fishing trips on my own. For me, this was a better solution than spending the extra money. Since I didn't spend the money on a load system, I saved money that I could spend on other important yak gear! :cheer:

I hope this helps! You should try it in your driveway and see if it works for you, you may be surprised how easy it is.
    Save the earth. It's the only planet with kayaks, fish & chocolate!!!

2015 Jackson Coosa HD

rodnboot.com/
    www.facebook.com/groups/rodnboot

Kayak load assist 1 year 1 month ago #4

• Apison, TN, USA
    • MontyMurdoch
    • 800+ Posts!
    • 2016 YakAngler Supporter2015 YakAngler SupporterAmbassador Medal2014 YakAngler Supporter 2013 YakAngler Supporter Presidents Day Boondoggle 2013Aficionado
    Got more money than me :)
    brownel02 wrote:
    My concern with this type would be breaking a back window. I use the Thule Hullavator on my pedal monster and they work great. Easy enough to load by myself:

www.rackwarehouse.com/thule-898-hullavator-pro-roof-rack-kayak-carrier.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwkPX0BRBKEiwA7THxiMEIZVpA_Br4ENXX932eu5T_pG8qAJ2lBZUakSTaa88dcoeozQUBKRoCTwUQAvD_BwE

Just my thoughts.

Kayak load assist 1 year 1 month ago #5

• Upstate NY
    • Stumpkiller
    • 500+ Posts!
    • 2016 YakAngler Supporter
    When you get to the age that you need it you will have accumulated the funds. And also realize time spent doing what you love is worth more than wealth.

I haven't decided yet on one of those or a dedicated trailer for our kayaks. But If I am going to trailer . . . I have a nice 17 ft boat with an outboard and lots of back cushions.
    Charlie P. - "Take a fish kayaking!"

Perception Sport Sound 12.5

Kayak load assist 1 year 1 month ago #6

• NE Pennsylvania
    • Spider1
    • 1250+ Posts!
    • Ambassador Medal
    A few years ago I switched from a pickup to a small suv, then switched to a larger suv. Boy do I miss my pickup, but I like the enclosed suv so I lined up a nice 4x8 utility trailer. No more car topping my Wildy which was starting to be a pain. Now I just gotta start the PA title and registration process :dry:

Kayak load assist 1 year 1 month ago #7

• SC
    • areeldrag
    • 10+ Posts!
    I bought a used jet ski trailer off craigslist & modified it to fit 3 kayaks. Way easier than topping them.

Kayak load assist 1 year 3 weeks ago #8

• , ,
    • krash
    • 500+ Posts!
    • Ambassador Medal
    I went the other way, after open heart surgery that saved my life but left me with a damaged and failing heart I had to lighten the load to continue what I loved paddle fishing.

Had to sell my ScupperPro that weighed 55 pounds, and side-graded to a Wenonah Vagabond kevlar/gelcoat canoe that weighs only 39 pounds... back on the water again and very happy. It is a solo canoe and can easily be loaded/unloaded and humped to/from the yard to the car, to the water and back.

Since then I have added a fiberglass verison (rare) Native Ultimate 12 Elite that weighs an honest 40 pounds, also easy to manhandle, and an Epoxy 12'6" SUP that weighs only 34 pounds.

Recently that 7 year old heart repair gave up the ghost and the heart went downhill fast. I gave up my other prize posession to a good home a Kazkazi Dorado which weighed 62 pounds that I though and hoped i'd be able to handle again, but seeing the light decidd to move it along and played it forward.

March 17th I received a new to me heart, transplant, and am now on the road ro recovery and hope to be back on the water soon. I'm looking forward to being stronger and healthier than ever and maybe buy one of the newer modelheavy 70 pound kayaks with a comfy lawn chair seat.
    Til then I still have the light canoe, kayak, and sup waiting to be used again.
    Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?