Kayak Fishing Ultimate Resource

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Kayak Fishing Answers Forum

TOPIC: Mapping on a kayak - is it worth it??

Mapping on a kayak - is it worth it?? 1 year 1 month ago #1

• kenmmore63
  • -10 Posts!
I have a Native Ultimate 12 and am looking at maybe upgrading my fishfinder. I'd like to get GPS for tracking my path and marking waypoints but am on the fence on whether it would be worth it to have depth mapping abilities (like autochart live).

I'm usually on smaller lakes that depth charts are not always available for so mapping may be helpful. But, zig-zagging a section of lake to map it out is fine in a motor boat, but on a kayak, it may be more of a pain that it is worth. I'm afraid that I'll just wear myself out and waste my fishing time paddling around.

I'm interested to hear if anybody is using it and what your thoughts and experiences are.

It may be worth noting that I usually only make it out maybe a half dozen times a season, for daytrips to usually smaller lakes/rivers.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Mapping on a kayak - is it worth it?? 1 year 1 month ago #2

• Silverhill, Alabama, USA
  • basscatlildave
  • MOD Squad
  • YakAngler Mod2016 YakAngler Supporter2015 YakAngler Supporter2014 YakAngler Supporter Ambassador MedalPhotographerTravelerReviewerGreen Skull
Being a shallow river guy it's not for me. That being said my buddy had GPS on his and it was nice seeing how far the next road or bridge is. Also tracking milage when you know how how far your float is. :up:

Mapping on a kayak - is it worth it?? 1 year 1 month ago #3

• kenmmore63
  • -10 Posts!
Thanks for the reply. I'm gonna get GPS one way or the other. I'm specifically asking about mapping software, like Autochart live. It basically enables you to keep a record of depth profiles. And by criss crossing an area you can create your own depth chart maps. It's a really cool idea and I can see it being helpful, but I'm wondering if the extra paddling required to make it worth my while would negate the benefit.

Mapping on a kayak - is it worth it?? 1 year 1 month ago #4

• Upstate NY
  • Stumpkiller
  • 500+ Posts!
  • 2016 YakAngler Supporter
When I was looking for a kayak fish finder I considered this option. Like you mention, I figured that was a LOT of travel to get a bottom map. So instead I searched the nav software sites for the Navionics or C-Map options and found the one that already had the small local lake (1,100 acres) I was most often fishing.

I ended up with a Raymarine Dragonfly 4 Pro and it has been a good unit for what I need on a kayak. Makes a great chart/GPS on our small sailboat as well.
Charlie P. - "Take a fish kayaking!"

Perception Sport Sound 12.5

Mapping on a kayak - is it worth it?? 1 year 1 month ago #5

• NE Pennsylvania
  • Spider1
  • 1250+ Posts!
  • Ambassador Medal
I wonder if it would be worth it. Small lakes tend to be effected by severe weather and bottom features can change dramatically from year to year. Even larger lakes go through changes from year to year. Some guys obsess over this kind of stuff but for me, just knowing the basic shape of the waterway is usually enough.

Mapping on a kayak - is it worth it?? 1 year 1 month ago #6

• Apison, TN, USA
  • MontyMurdoch
  • 800+ Posts!
  • 2016 YakAngler Supporter2015 YakAngler SupporterAmbassador Medal2014 YakAngler Supporter 2013 YakAngler Supporter Presidents Day Boondoggle 2013Aficionado
I would not mess with mapping.

Mapping on a kayak - is it worth it?? 1 year 1 month ago #7

• Pace, Florida, USA
  • FLfishR
  • 1250+ Posts!
  • Columbus Day Boondoggle 2015 2013 YakAngler Supporter 2014 YakAngler Supporter Columbus Day Boondoggle 2013Boondoggle Website SupporterPhotographerAmbassador MedalPathfinderDilettanteGreen Skull
Absolutely worth it. You can get a Garmin Stryker for about $120.00.
Hobie Compass 12-Blue
Hobie Outback 12-Dune
Jackson Cruise 12-Amber
Heritage Redfish 12-Yellow
Malibu Mini-X 9-Stone
Carolina Skiff 16

"If Starbucks had kayak parking, it would be filled with Hobies."
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?