Kayak Fishing Answers Forum
  • Page:

TOPIC: SIS or SOT for fishing?

SIS or SOT for fishing? 1 year 3 months ago #11

• Upstate NY
  • Stumpkiller
  • 500+ Posts!
  • 2016 YakAngler Supporter
Thank you. Duffy, our Airedale Terrier, absolutely LOVES the water. He'll wade out into lakes and rivers and stick his head under water blowing bubbles and snapping at crayfish. Must be the Otter Hound in the breed background.

Was a real fire drill, though, when I tried to fish and brought a flapping bass in near the kayak. He was pretty excited and wanted to help (aka - bite it) and now if he is to come along fishing we take the 17 ft boat with outboard. But he still tags along for just kayaking trips.
Charlie P. - "Take a fish kayaking!"

Perception Sport Sound 12.5

The administrator has disabled public write access.

SIS or SOT for fishing? 1 year 3 months ago #12

• NE Pennsylvania
  • Spider1
  • 1250+ Posts!
  • Ambassador Medal
I have both a sit in and sit on kayak. The sit in is a Future Beach 126, the sit on is a Wilderness Systems Ride 115. I wouldn't call either of them light but the 126 is a bit lighter. I got the 126 for my grandson but it's basically just an extra for whoever wants to go with me. I took it out a couple times but I will always choose my Wildy over it. I can flip or jump off my Wildy and climb right back on, no problem. I accidently flipped the 126 in 11' of water and it was totally swamped. I didn't have any extra floatation in it so climbing back in was out of the question as it would have sunk so I ended up dragging it back to shore. Not a fun swim at all. As for comfort, the sit on kayaks tend to be a bit more comfortable but that will depend on the seat and manufacturer. If I'm looking at a kayak and I see the molded in seat with scuppers right in the seat, I move on. I can't understand who thought that would be a good idea!? Both of the kayaks I have use a raised seat. The Wildy is way more comfortable and when I go out on a lake I'm usually out all day. I'll probably sell the Future beach this year.

SIS or SOT for fishing? 1 year 3 months ago #13

• Upstate NY
  • Stumpkiller
  • 500+ Posts!
Not a good feature to lack enough closed-cell foam or watertight compartments to float a swamped kayak over the gunnels. And a baller scoop doesn't add much weight.

SIS or SOT for fishing? 1 year 3 months ago #14

• Wisconsin
  • cxfishing
  • -10 Posts!
If you are worried about getting wet from the scupper holes, most SOT kayaks should come with scupper plugs upon purchase. Or, there are universal ones you can purchase as well.

the following is a blog I posted recently on SIS vs SOT kayaks. Obviously, advantages and disadvantages for both, but you'll see the majority of kayak anglers leaning towards SOT kayaks for many reasons: cxfishing.com/2020/02/09/kayak-fishing-faq-should-i-get-a-sit-inside-or-sit-on-top-fishing-kayak/
Check out my all-about-kayak-fishing blog:

www.cxfishing.com

SIS or SOT for fishing? 1 year 3 months ago #15

• Upstate NY
  • Stumpkiller
  • 500+ Posts!
Your stte offers a fairly good breakdown. Though I would note you claimed rod holders an advantage for the SOT. On my 55 lb SIS I have four rod RAM holders, plus three on the cargo crate and two moulded in, plus and a RAM mounted depth sounder I can dismount to get the 12-1/2 ft (fast & easy) kayak on my roof rack by myself. I'm 60 and starting to feel it. ;-)

Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by Stumpkiller.

SIS or SOT for fishing? 1 year 2 months ago #16

• Crow Horse
  • 250+ Posts!
One item that I didn't see mentioned is that sit in's provide a higher level of protection from the elements. for me that is very helpful as the pond that I religiously fish seems to always be windy.
All Good Medicine,
Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow......

SIS or SOT for fishing? 1 year 2 months ago #17

• Apison, TN, USA
  • MontyMurdoch
  • 800+ Posts!
  • 2016 YakAngler Supporter2015 YakAngler SupporterAmbassador Medal2014 YakAngler Supporter 2013 YakAngler Supporter Presidents Day Boondoggle 2013Aficionado
You can dress for weather. No such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing choices :)
  • Page:
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?