Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Kayak Fishing Answers Forum

TOPIC: New to kayak fishing

New to kayak fishing 7 years 5 months ago #11

• Pace, Florida, USA
  • FLfishR
  • 1250+ Posts!
  • Columbus Day Boondoggle 2015 2014 YakAngler Supporter 2013 YakAngler Supporter Columbus Day Boondoggle 2013Boondoggle Website SupporterPhotographerAmbassador MedalPathfinderDilettanteGreen Skull
:welcome:
Hobie Compass 12-Blue
Hobie Outback 12-Dune
Jackson Cruise 12-Amber
Heritage Redfish 12-Yellow
Malibu Mini-X 9-Stone
Carolina Skiff 16

"If Starbucks had kayak parking, it would be filled with Hobies."
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KayakRose

New to kayak fishing 7 years 5 months ago #12

• LONDON, Kentucky, USA
  • lilgription
  • 50+ Posts!
WELCOME... Check out your local craigslist for some good deals. with a $500 budget for each , you can find some great Yaks new and used
The following user(s) said Thank You: KayakRose

New to kayak fishing 7 years 5 months ago #13

• Warrior, Alabama, USA
  • mrbama97
  • 500+ Posts!
  • Ambassador MedalTraveler
Welcome. Good luck on the new yaks.
Matt
Roll Tide! Let's go fishing.
Jackson Big Tuna - Limon
Perception Tribe 13.5 - Lime

New to kayak fishing 7 years 5 months ago #14

• Spring Grove, Illinois, USA
  • Sully99
  • 250+ Posts!
  • Ambassador Medal
Native Ultimate 14.5

u

New to kayak fishing 7 years 5 months ago #15

• Windsor, Other, Canada
  • boknows
  • 250+ Posts!
  • Ambassador Medal
my first kayak was a Ascend FS10…I rigged it up pretty good with FF and rod holders etc…it's a great kayak…it tracks as straight as any other, paddles well and is light so it moves through the water pretty quick too…I could keep up with my buddy in a Hobie Rev13 with a normal cadence peddle…being a sit in, it has some advantages for a smaller kayak…the seat is exceptionally comfortable…I've done 6-7 hr journeys and had no issues…I've used it for Tourneys and general outings and never felt like I was behind anyone else….I used that kayak for 2 years and am now in a Hobie…mostly because of the water I fish…plenty of current so hands free was a better idea….I still have the Ascend and plan to keep it…great kayak to introduce people to the sport….it's relatively stable…not stand worthy but stable….Best of luck and it's awesome to hear you are getting two kayaks to get out there with your son….beats video games anyway..Welcome to the site too….always great advice here and plenty of information….

Re:New to kayak fishing 7 years 5 months ago #16

• Panama City, FL
  • DPomeroy
  • 500+ Posts!
  • 2014 YakAngler Supporter YakAngler Pro TeamColumbus Day Boondoggle 2013TravelerAficionadoNovice YakAngler
That was my budget when I entered into the kayak fishing world and went with a barley used kayak off craigslist. There are some great deals out there for that budget.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Wilderness Systems Ride 115x

New to kayak fishing 7 years 5 months ago #17

• Auburn, Nebraska, USA
  • Kayakjak
  • 800+ Posts!
  • 2014 YakAngler Supporter Author2013 YakAngler Supporter YakAngler Pro Team2012 YakAngler Supporter DilettanteGreen SkullProficient YakAngler
Demo all you can. For 500 bucks you can get into a Lifetime Tamarack or Emotion Stealth11. There are others but for pond fishing I just love the Stealth. Also, easy to load or unload.

New to kayak fishing 7 years 5 months ago #18

• Saltillo,Mississippi
  • jakelyle07
  • 50+ Posts!
  • 2014 YakAngler Supporter 2013 YakAngler Supporter
Hi Welcome to the wonderful world of Kayak Fishing!!! I have the Ascend FS12T. I've had it for a year now and for the price you really can't beat it. It tracks very well and I can stand up and fish out of it with no problems. I am no where near a powerlifter and I can easily load it on the roof of my Tahoe. It is also very easy to add upgrades to if you wanted to go that route. The one and only drawback that I have found is that the front rod holder is placed a little to far forward. Overall I think it would be a great purchase. The main thing is just hurry up and buy one and get on the water and fish. :fishing:
Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley. ~Author Unknown

New to kayak fishing 7 years 5 months ago #19

• Bowling Green, Kentucky, USA
  • sokyfishing
  • 250+ Posts!
  • 2015 YakAngler SupporterAmbassador Medal2014 YakAngler Supporter 2013 YakAngler Supporter Traveler
Welcome. You have found a good site and community. You'll find the forums helpful. Also, explore the rest of the site. There are good informative articles and reviews.
Mark

WS Ride 135

New to kayak fishing 7 years 5 months ago #20

• New Smyrna Beach, Florida, USA
  • one more cast
  • 800+ Posts!
  • Columbus Day Boondoggle 2014 2013 YA Spot Tail Tournament WinnerColumbus Day Boondoggle 2013PhotographerAmbassador Medal2013 YakAngler Supporter Traveler
Ive fished out of the perception pescador12 a few times and its a nice light kayak (as long as you arent planning on standing and fishing). Easy to toss into a pond or stream, also plenty stable and fast for a 12ft boat.
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
-John Buchan
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?