Kayak Fishing Ultimate Resource

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Water Cooler

TOPIC: This Is Why You Always Wear A PFD!!!

This Is Why You Always Wear A PFD!!! 9 months 2 weeks ago #1

• Crow Horse
  • 250+ Posts!
This is why you ALWAYS wear a PFD. Short story - slight breeze, small pond and in a flash my buddy turtles. Even he's not sure what happened. Yak and buddy had to get towed back to the launch point because that was the only place to get out of the water. Believe me, towing a swamped yak and it's occupant is no small task. I towed him about 3/4 of the way back, then his wife took a shot at it.She struggled and we then tandem towed him.

In a flash of a second things went really wrong on a very calm body of water. This might have turned out a lot different if it was in the cooler months....
IMG_4056aaa.jpg
All Good Medicine,
Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow......
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bigjohn58

Re:This Is Why You Always Wear A PFD!!! 9 months 2 weeks ago #2

• pcolapaddler
  • 10+ Posts!
Good word.

Stuff happens quickly. After you're in the drink isn't the time to be trying to wiggle into the PFD.

With the inflatables, auto and manual, that are cooler and comfortable, there is no reason not to wear one.

Sent from my Pro Angler in a secret mountain bunker in SE Alabama

Re:This Is Why You Always Wear A PFD!!! 9 months 2 weeks ago #3

• Crow Horse
  • 250+ Posts!
Honestly, I'd be lost without my PFD. The safety factor aside, it has quite a bit of gear secured to it. I find my PFD very comfortable and I'd feel naked not wearing it....
All Good Medicine,
Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow......

This Is Why You Always Wear A PFD!!! 9 months 2 weeks ago #4

• Silverhill, Alabama, USA
  • basscatlildave
  • MOD Squad
  • YakAngler Mod2016 YakAngler Supporter2015 YakAngler Supporter2014 YakAngler Supporter Ambassador MedalPhotographerTravelerReviewerGreen Skull
You are correct. This is a great reminder for everyone. :bravo:

This Is Why You Always Wear A PFD!!! 7 months 2 weeks ago #5

• Glasgow, KY
  • BassYakWards
  • 50+ Posts!
And we don't practice how to re-enter the kayak once we are out. I know i don't.

This Is Why You Always Wear A PFD!!! 7 months 1 week ago #6

• Upstate NY
  • Stumpkiller
  • 500+ Posts!
  • 2016 YakAngler Supporter
Yes. Always a PFD.

THE ADMIRAL turtled and popped out of her yak on a stretch of calm river and I was able to do a canoe rescue and drain her yak over mine . . . but there was no way we could get her back in from the water. Had to pull her and the yak to the shallows.

I also have 30 ft of 1/4" line aboard - that helped.
Charlie P. - "Take a fish kayaking!"

Perception Sport Sound 12.5

This Is Why You Always Wear A PFD!!! 7 months 3 days ago #7

• AnglingSpiders
  • 10+ Posts!
Thanks for this, always have a PFD for this reason. Thankfully haven't needed them yet.

This Is Why You Always Wear A PFD!!! 5 months 2 weeks ago #8

• Wisconsin
  • Clay
  • 250+ Posts!
Stopped in today, use to check this board daily, but not for a long time.

I have never been in my kayak without a life jacket BUT, this past summer I was gigging frogs with a friend in a small 12 foot John boat. I was standing, if I can stand in my yak, I can stand in a flat bottom right?

Not so right, if it's just you - you control the boat, with two of you, your movement and the other person in the boat have to work together.

One thing lead to another and we both ended up in the drink. No life jacket and I thought that the pond was very shallow. I said that I would just push off of the bottom. Went in head first, after diving down a few feet, never found the bottom. Lots of Lilly pads and was kind of like falling in bowl of noodles. Brain worked damn fast and said, no more Lilly pads, get to the top now.

I couldn't get back in the boat and remember still asking my friend if we are both going to down out here. After being in the water for 15 mins my friend was able go get in the boat and row me back to shore where I could use the bottom for leverage and get back into the boat.

Two thoughts after the adventures of 2020. Never go into any boat, no matter how big without a life jacket again, and even if you have a vest on, you need a way to get back into the boat. Ever notice how those self rescue videos are all done in a stripped down kayak?

My Hobie PA14 has a 8' power pole attached and more stuff hanging off of the rails that most free world naval fleets. Today, I'm shopping for a rescue ladder. Yes, I know that I can make one, but after the year's adventures, I want a compact, always there option, not something in the bow of the boat.

Be safe, things happen fast on the water.
Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not the fish that they are after. Henry David Thoreau
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stumpkiller

This Is Why You Always Wear A PFD!!! 5 months 2 weeks ago #9

• Upstate NY
  • Stumpkiller
  • 500+ Posts!
  • 2016 YakAngler Supporter
I have one of these on our 17 ft sailboat. duckworks.com/rope-boarding-ladder/. Works great for occasional swimming off the boat and as a problem solver for MOB.

They are great people and I encourage you to visit their site if you "small boat". I have a sit-in kayak and it doesn't really justify a ladder as it would just roll. I carry a bailer scoop and have practiced a wet "deep water" reboard. OK in August but God help me if the water is cold. THE ADMIRAL and I turtled a small dingy-racer salboat in October (air temp maybe 65 degrees, water temp maybe 50 degrees) and by the time I righted it I had zero strength left - and this was 40 years ago. We learned a BIG lesson. It's scary how fast the cold saps your strength away.
Charlie P. - "Take a fish kayaking!"

Perception Sport Sound 12.5

This Is Why You Always Wear A PFD!!! 5 months 4 days ago #10

• Wisconsin
  • Clay
  • 250+ Posts!
I'm slow, but just ordered this today: Hope that I don't need it :woohoo:

Rescue ladder
Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not the fish that they are after. Henry David Thoreau
Last Edit: 5 months 4 days ago by Clay.
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?