2013 saw many companies following the industry trend of the “lawn chair” style kayak seat. Six of this year’s best fishing kayaks picked in our community poll have a framed seat, proving consumers are looking at comfort while fishing as one of their top priorities. Half the kayaks from last year’s Top Ten list managed to stay on for 2013, and almost half are brand new models for 2013/14.
1. Old Town “Predator 13” is new this year and was the top pick among kayak fishermen, capturing 15% of the votes. Old Town has two Predator models: the Predator 13, and the more maneuverable “Predator MX”.
2. Hobie “Mirage Pro Angler 14” made the list again this year. The Hobie Pro Angler 14 was picked by 12% of the kayak fishermen surveyed. There are two models of Mirage Pro Angler the 12 and 14.
3. Native Watercraft “Slayer 14.5” rounded out the top three fishing kayaks with a little over 11% of the votes. This was Native’s best-selling fishing kayak for 2013. There are two Slayer models - the Slayer 14.5 and 12 - and a Propel pedal model will be released this fall.
4. The Hobie “Outback” came in fourth with 7% of the community votes. The Outback and Pro Angler are the only two pedal kayaks in our list this year.
5. Wilderness Systems “Ride 115X” was fifth on our list. This new Ride model from Wilderness adds the Phase 3 Air Pro seating system and removable electronics console. Wilderness Systems has two other Ride kayaks: the “115” and “135”.
6. The Jackson Kayak “Cuda 12” was right behind the Ride 115X and Outback, picking up 5% of the votes for sixth place. Jackson Kayak has two different Cuda versions: a 12’ and 14’ model.
7. Ocean Kayak “Trident 13” was tied for seventh with 4% of the vote. This well-rounded fishing kayak comes in three different models in 11’, 13’, and 15’ lengths.
8. Feel Free’s “Moken 14” picked up 4% to tie for seventh place. Feel Free makes three versions of their signature fishing kayak: the “Moken 10 Lite”, “12.5”, and “14”.
9. NuCanoe’s “Frontier 12” was the third kayak tied for seventh place with 4%. NuCanoe also added a 10’ version to their lineup this year.
10. The Jackson Kayak “Kilroy” is another new kayak this year, and picked up the last spot on the list with a little over 3% of the votes. The Kilroy is also the only sit-in kayak that has ever made our list.