Back in 2009, NRS unveiled drop-stitch technology in the fishing world with the GigBob. The GigBob is a frameless pontoon boat capable of running Class 3 rapids. Because it's frameless and fully inflatable, it is easy to pack where ever you might need to fish. The drop-stitch technology binds opposing sides of the PVC inflatables, allowing for structure and strength.
At ICAST this year, anglers were introduced to an inflatable fishing kayak and stand up paddleboard, both making use of the drop-stitch materials.
The fishing kayak boasts a drop-stich deck. Pumped up to at least 9PSI, this deck is rock hard and adds riggidity to the kayak that you would only find in hard, non-inflatable boats. This strength allows the NRS fishing kayak to run through some rough rapids to get to your fishing holes without having to worry if the kayak is going to make it. With the center section inflated, you have a great working and standing surface - almost like your own, river worthy, fishing dock.
The NRS fishing kayak boats self-bailing scuppers under the drop-stich deck, a pair of deck bags on the tubes, and several Scotty mounting locations. Many other options like adjustable foot braces, thigh straps, and just about every other accessory offered by NRS are available on their website. This kayak is strong. If you check out the video below, you'll hear talk of fishing oyster beds from the inflatable kayak. If that's not a note to the integrety of the NRS kayak, I don't know what is. If an oyster bed is fishable from this kayak, you can rest assured that it can handle much of the rest of the abuse you could throw at it.
There's no doubt that the Stand-Up Paddleboard market is exploding on the scene. This year, NRS redesigned their inflatable SUP, the Big Earl, with a wider tail and a plethora of d-rings to make it a fishing specific SUP. The wider stern allows fitment of a variety of coolers and even crate setups. It also adds a bit more stability to the SUP to make fishing easier. Included with the fishing SUP are removable skegs designed to help tracking. There are a couple sizes to choose from whether you're running rivers or fishing flat waters.
These new NRS inflatables are so new, YakAngler is the first to post images and even this video with NRS Sales Rep, Luc Adams, discussing some of the great features of the NRS fishing crafts.
Already have a kayak? Definitely check out NRS! They've long been known for dry gear, wetsuits, drag bags, shoes, and so much more. NRS originally got in the business making dry bags 40 years ago and they're now a full on outfitter for anything you need to get on the water. Their safety knives and PFDs are second to none. We've featured their Chinook fishing PFD in the past.
To check out everything NRS, visit their website at www.NRSweb.com. You can also "like" them on Facebook, and follow NRSweb on Twitter.
We've recently been asked by some of our readers for more detailed information about the NRS inflatable kayak.
- Enjoy all the features of the best fishing kayaks in a compact, convenient package with the NRS Pike Fishing IK. Throw it in your rig, head to the water, air it up and go after that trophy.
- This stable, top-quality inflatable kayak features a rigid, self-bailing floor, plus all the bells and whistles serious anglers demand.
- Heavy-duty, abrasion-resistant PVC construction for long-lasting durability.
- The drop-stitch PVC floor inflates to exceptionally high pressure, giving you a stable, flat, rigid platform for sight fishing.
A removable skeg in the stern improves tracking.
- The comfortable collapsible seat adjusts to fit, and you can position it where you like it best in the boat.
- 32 stainless steel D-rings let you rig your boat exactly how you like it.
- Bungee lacing in the bow provides handy spot to lash down a small cooler, a tackle box, or a dry bag.
- Two nylon webbing daisy chains in the stern provide attachment points for clipping in those items you want close at hand.
- Three Scotty Mount pads let you attach Scotty accessories such as rod holders and a fish finder mount.
- Two carry handles make the Pike IK easy to carry or drag to and from the water.
- Top-quality Leafield C7 valves ensure easy, reliable inflation and deflation.
- Material: PVC, PVC-coated drop-stitch
- Floor: Self-bailing with drop stitch insert
- Weight: 35 lbs.
- Length: 12'8"
- Width: 39"
- Interior Width: 17"
- Tube Diameter: 11"
- Removable skeg
- 32 stainless steel attachment D-rings
- Bungee lacing in bow
- Daisy chain attachment loop strips
- Three Scotty Mount attachment mounts
- Leafield C7 valves
- Two carry handles