Kayak Fishing Ultimate Resource

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Info from Texas Yakkers?

Info from Texas Yakkers? 2 years 7 months ago #1

• Wright, Wyoming, USA
  • wyoyak
  • 50+ Posts!
  • 2016 YakAngler Supporter2015 YakAngler SupporterAmbassador Medal2014 YakAngler Supporter 2013 YakAngler Supporter 2010 YakAngler Supporter2011 YakAngler Supporter2012 YakAngler Supporter Traveler
Been awhile since I chatted on the forum. Hope all you soft water winter fishermen are slaying whatever you are after. Today in the "Land of the Chosen Frozen", the temp is minus 8 with a wind chill of minus 30. For you folks who don't know what a wind chill factor is, keep it that way. You will NEVER want to know.

With that said, I wanna thank everyone who provided me with the invaluable information for my trip to Texas last spring. Took my PA14 to Lake Fork, where I got rained off in April. But some folks on this forum pointed me towards Lake Athens and Brandy Branch Reservoir. These two places were my favorites of the trip except for the side trip to Guntersville.

This spring I'm headed back to Texas, in particular Lake Amistad and O.H. Ivey. Can any of you folks help me with some more info? I hate getting in the way of the local power boat guys, so info on spots where I can get out of their way and which are conducive to yak fishing. Also, I loved Brandy Branch and the whole power plant fishing thing. If any of you know of some good power plant fishing on the west side of the state, that would be some valuable info.

Thanks again to everyone who helped me out. Tight Lines :)
Retired Air Force
Retired Wyoming State Trooper
Hobie PA14
Ocean Kayak Trident Prowler 13
"It's a thin line between entertainment and war."
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: smj190

Info from Texas Yakkers? 2 years 7 months ago #2

• Texas, USA
  • Aggroman
  • MOD Squad
  • 2016 YakAngler SupporterPhotographer2015 YakAngler SupporterLifetime YakAngler SupporterYakAngler Pro TeamYakAngler Mod2014 YakAngler Supporter TravelerReviewerGreen Skull
Both Amistad and Ivie are great lakes to kayak and fish.

My favorites on Amistad when the water is good...

277 North. Has a campground and not too many boats since it's a little shallower than the rest of the lake.

Rough Canyon Boat Ramp. Also a campground, but spring will probably be a more heavy use area for boats. But man, what an awesome place.

Pecos River Ramp. By far my favorite. Big boats really can't get down there. It's about 30 miles west of Del Rio, but worth the drive.

www.yakangler.com/fishing-location/524-pecos-river-boat-ramp

Here was a trip from this past year. You can see the area around the boat ramp. Lots of great fishing spots.

www.yakangler.com/forum/16-fresh-water-kayak-fishing/32479-dude-s-trip-2016-pecos-river-pt-1#133732

And here is a trip report from a few years ago, but the water is about the same this year so I thought that might help get a look at what's down there.

www.flyrivermedia.com/pecos-river-adventure-2013/

I haven't been to Lake Ivie in a while, but we usually drop in at Concho Park Marina. We haven't had any trouble with big boats, but it's been low the last few years and smaller area until you get into more open water. But in a PA14, no big deal at all. One thing as of late is, Ivie has been a tough lake to fish. Have heard nothing but lame reports lately, may change by spring hopefully.

One lake that's on fire lately is Lake Spence near Robert Lee. I haven't kayaked it since it filled back up years ago, but all the reports have been awesome. We're hoping to go out there this month, so i'll have more info later on drop in spots.

Hope this help some.

Scott
Scott
Please send rain to the following address...Texas.
2-OK Prowler 13's, Frenzy

Info from Texas Yakkers? 2 years 7 months ago #3

• Texas, USA
  • Aggroman
  • MOD Squad
  • 2016 YakAngler SupporterPhotographer2015 YakAngler SupporterLifetime YakAngler SupporterYakAngler Pro TeamYakAngler Mod2014 YakAngler Supporter TravelerReviewerGreen Skull
Here is a list of paddle trails the NPS put together. Some good info there.

www.nps.gov/amis/planyourvisit/paddling.htm
Scott

Info from Texas Yakkers? 2 years 7 months ago #4

• Charleston, South Carolina, USA
  • DDOlson
  • 2K+ Posts!
  • 2016 YakAngler SupporterPresidents Day Boondoggle 20162016 YakAngler SupporterPresidents Day Boondoggle 2015Columbus Day Boondoggle 2015 2015 YakAngler SupporterColumbus Day Boondoggle 2014 Presidents Day Boondoggle 2014Columbus Day Boondoggle 20132014 YakAngler Supporter PhotographerBoondoggle Website SupporterAuthorPresidents Day Boondoggle 20132013 YakAngler Supporter YakAngler Pro TeamColumbus Day Boondoggle 2012 Presidents Day Boondoggle 20122012 YakAngler Supporter Columbus Day Boondoggle 20112010 YakAngler Supporter2011 YakAngler SupporterAficionadoGreen SkullSavant YakAngler
I can't wait to see some pictures from your trip.

Info from Texas Yakkers? 2 years 7 months ago #5

• Wright, Wyoming, USA
  • wyoyak
  • 50+ Posts!
  • 2016 YakAngler Supporter2015 YakAngler SupporterAmbassador Medal2014 YakAngler Supporter 2013 YakAngler Supporter 2010 YakAngler Supporter2011 YakAngler Supporter2012 YakAngler Supporter Traveler
Damn Scott, you are the man. You must have been in the military cause that was some serious intel. I appreciate the very thorough I response. It will go a long way in helping me put together this trip.
Retired Air Force
Retired Wyoming State Trooper
Hobie PA14
Ocean Kayak Trident Prowler 13
"It's a thin line between entertainment and war."

Info from Texas Yakkers? 2 years 7 months ago #6

• Texas, USA
  • Aggroman
  • MOD Squad
No problem at all. And no, not military. lol. My intel goes back to the early nineties and is always close at hand. That place down there has got it's hooks in me. I can't get enough of it. And amazingly, the fishing has always been secondary to me. There's just so much to see and explore, and from a yak or canoe, it's pretty dang special. Especially the Pecos arm. So much history. Not a lot of places you can get up in a cove, get out to stretch your legs, wander around, then come across 5000 year old rock art by accident.

Holler when it gets closer. I have buddies down there that give me up to date info on levels, boat ramps and traffic, fish, etc. Have a good one.

Scott
Scott

Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?