Kayak Fishing Ultimate Resource

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Lake Walter E. Long (Lake Decker) Hybrid Striper

Lake Walter E. Long (Lake Decker) Hybrid Striper 4 years 7 months ago #1

• Killeen, TX
  • gssterl
  • 250+ Posts!
  • 2014 YakAngler Supporter 2015 YakAngler SupporterYakAngler Pro TeamAficionado
also available on my blog: catchmeifyoupaddle.blogspot.com/2015/03/back-on-water-thank-god.html

imgres.png

After a month away from home training in the People's Republic of California, I took a much needed fishing trip this weekend. My destination was Lake Walter E. Long, also known as Lake Decker and referred to as Decker more often than not. I have fished this lake before and had decent success. Walter E. Long is a power plant cooling lake and is known for a healthy black bass and hybrid striper population. I was on this particular lake practicing for the upcoming Kayak Angler Tournament Series (KATS, fishkats.com). After finding some good hiding grounds for bass I decided to troll for a while until I made it to the next destination I liked on my gps. I have never caught a decent sized hybrid striper and I knew that this lake was known for 5+ pounders. I gained some speed tossed out a chrome and black lipless crank and tried to keep a smooth 3 mph. Around 10 mins elapsed and sure enough my Scotty Rocket Launcher struggled to hold onto my rod as that lipless crankbait was engulfed. I could tell that this was a decent sized fish and it was definitely not a bass. Check out the video! I may have to start targeting these guys more often.

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Lake Walter E. Long (Lake Decker) Hybrid Striper 4 years 7 months ago #2

• Silverhill, Alabama, USA
  • basscatlildave
  • MOD Squad
  • NOW ONLINE
  • YakAngler Mod2015 YakAngler Supporter2016 YakAngler Supporter2014 YakAngler Supporter Ambassador MedalPhotographerTravelerReviewerGreen Skull
:fishing: They do look like fun.

Re:Lake Walter E. Long (Lake Decker) Hybrid Striper 4 years 7 months ago #3

• Neenah, Wisconsin, USA
  • smj190
  • MOD Squad
  • Columbus Day Boondoggle 2015 YakAngler Pro Team2015 YakAngler SupporterAuthorColumbus Day Boondoggle 20132014 YakAngler Supporter Boondoggle Website SupporterYakAngler Mod2013 YakAngler Supporter TravelerAficionadoGreen SkullNovice YakAngler
It would be a blast to catch a big one!
Tight Lines and Smooth Paddling!

Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?