Kayak Fishing Ultimate Resource

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 2014 Recap

2014 Recap 4 years 10 months ago #1

• Killeen, TX
  • gssterl
  • 250+ Posts!
  • 2014 YakAngler Supporter 2015 YakAngler SupporterYakAngler Pro TeamAficionado
Also available on my blog: catchmeifyoupaddle.blogspot.com/2014/12/2014-recap.html

Well, it has been a great fishing year for me, and it is time to reminisce on all of the great times I had out on the water. Even though this year was cut short due to another deployment, the limited amount of time I had was put to good use. My fishing season started off after returning from deployment in April. The entire 9 months I was away, I researched the latest and greatest boats debuting onto the scene and planned to pickup a new boat when I returned. I was torn between paddle vs. pedal and like so many other things, the decision was coming down to money. I really do enjoy paddling, but the benefits of a pedal drive watercraft intrigued me and I wanted to give it a shot. Now, I just had to butter my wife up to allow me to spend the extra dough. She was a big supporter of me getting the boat I wanted and actually pushed me to get the pedal drive. With the decision made, I called my local kayak shop looking for a new Native Slayer Propel 13. Unfortunately, the two closest locations were out of the Slayer Propel completely. I had to call ACK San Antonio to locate one and they only had one left on the showroom floor in Lime Green. Not the color I wanted, but beggars can't be choosers. After paying for the boat, I made arrangements to pick it up. Again, my loving wife, supported my hobby by enduring the additional 2+ hour drive to get the boat I wanted.

With the Slayer Propel in my possession and after completing the long drive home, it was onto rigging. You can see my article on my rigging process (www.yakangler.com/blogs/user-blogs/item/3262-you-got-a-slayer-propel-now-what) as well as viewing my walk-through and rigging video.

Rigging complete, it was now only a matter of getting on the water. Lake Stillhouse Hollow is only a 15 min drive from my home, so I spent my first several outings there. After gaining some confidence and having some decent success I expanded my waters. Belton Lake was the next logical stop being only 30 mins from the house. A similar lake to Stillhouse, the same tactics I used before worked on Belton as well. As I gained confidence I looked for some new areas. Another Lake that is relatively close to me is Lake Georgetown. I had heard mixed reviews on the fishing on this Lake, but decided to give it a shot anyway. The reviews seemed to be true and I had a tough time only getting one bite. I was all over the bait fish, but nothing wanted to play. A little demoralized, I looked for a lake with a hot bite. Lake Walter E. Long (formerly Lake Decker) sounded like the place to be. I researched the fishing reports for a while and decided to make a trip. About a hour and half cruise on the turnpike got me to the lake. After paying the crazy $10 entrance fee I launched and worked my way up the western side to the power plant. Sure enough I encountered a lot of activity and some good fish.

It was a great year on my Slayer Propel 13. I was hesitant to spend the money on it, but have zero regrets now. Enjoy.
Last Edit: 4 years 10 months ago by gssterl.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: smj190

2014 Recap 4 years 10 months ago #2

• Saint Marys, GA
  • daiwanut
  • 2K+ Posts!
  • Photographer2012 YakAngler Supporter 2013 YakAngler Supporter 2015 YakAngler SupporterAmbassador Medal2014 YakAngler Supporter ArbiterGreen Skull
Awesome video.

In the words of the Jerry Maguire kid..."you said f__k."

:fishing:

2014 Recap 4 years 10 months ago #3

• Anchorage, Alaska, USA
  • Kardinal_84
  • 500+ Posts!
  • 2010 YakAngler Supporter2011 YakAngler Supporter2012 YakAngler Supporter 2015 YakAngler SupporterLifetime YakAngler SupporterYakAngler Pro Team2014 YakAngler Supporter 2013 YakAngler Supporter
NICE! Looks like a blast! I am always envious of folks who can fish without a drysuit! lol. I can recall having a BLAST with the bass when I went to school in upstate NY. Miss those buggers!!!!

Thanks for sharing!!
AlaskaKayakFisher.com My personal pages on fishing southcentral Alaska from a kayak.

2014 Recap 4 years 10 months ago #4

• Killeen, TX
  • gssterl
  • 250+ Posts!
  • 2014 YakAngler Supporter 2015 YakAngler SupporterYakAngler Pro TeamAficionado
daiwanut wrote:
Awesome video.

In the words of the Jerry Maguire kid..."you said f__k."

:fishing:

I can't stand losing fish! Emotions got the better of me that day. I lost one earlier and that pushed me over the edge.

2014 Recap 4 years 10 months ago #5

• Killeen, TX
  • Cameron C
  • 10+ Posts!
  • Dilettante
Awesome video man, i am in the area as well. We will have to hit the water sometime

2014 Recap 4 years 10 months ago #6

• Bluffton, Indiana, USA
  • aceflier
  • 250+ Posts!
  • Ambassador MedalTravelerNovice YakAngler
Like the video action. Never seen water so calm and glassy. There is always wind up north here. :bravo:

2014 Recap 4 years 10 months ago #7

• Texas, USA
  • Aggroman
  • MOD Squad
  • 2016 YakAngler SupporterPhotographer2015 YakAngler SupporterLifetime YakAngler SupporterYakAngler Pro TeamYakAngler Mod2014 YakAngler Supporter TravelerReviewerGreen Skull
Awesome! :bravo:
Scott
Please send rain to the following address...Texas.
2-OK Prowler 13's, Frenzy

Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?