Kayak Fishing Ultimate Resource

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Tennessee Kayak Fishing Forum

TOPIC: Need water!

Need water! 2 years 10 months ago #1

Hello all!

New to this forum and relatively new to TN but certainly not new to fishing. I have been looking (without much success) for a consistent place to catch some fish. I have had the most success below the Chick dam between the railroad bridge and bonny oaks bridge. My home river is the Susquehanna in NE PA so i am used to moving water and rocky ledges but the lake is a whole new world and I'm getting frustrated. Any help in places to go that don't require multiple vehicles (since its just me and my dog most days). I really just want some numbers, I am not particular about size.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Need water! 2 years 10 months ago #2

• Chattanooga
  • YakEngnr
  • 50+ Posts!
Colonel, I'm in the area as well and having some of the same problems! :cheer:

I've been kayaking to many new places to find such holes which takes several loose line trips. Have you fished Chester Frost? In the past I've done well there in a boat and have recently landed a 3 pounder there under a dock directly opposite the large boat ramp.

Savannah Bay in Ooltewah is at the end of Wolftever. I've yak fished there so many times, the number & size are usually pretty great. Watch out for the jet skis!!

I recently fished Maclallan Island downtown, caught two under 2lbs over 3 hrs. But the darn current was almost too overwhelming!

One more is Possum Creek in Soddy Daisy. Bit of a drive but proven to be worth it. Saw a kayak tournament launch from there early this year.
Ocean Kayak Trident 11 w/Lowrance 4xHDI Chirp
Minn Kota Endura C2 30# Thrust

Need water! 2 years 10 months ago #3

• Pace, Florida, USA
  • FLfishR
  • 1250+ Posts!
  • Columbus Day Boondoggle 2015 2013 YakAngler Supporter 2014 YakAngler Supporter Columbus Day Boondoggle 2013Boondoggle Website SupporterPhotographerAmbassador MedalPathfinderDilettanteGreen Skull
The larger TVA lakes are basically lowland lakes. Fish the main lake rather than the tailrace. To get your confidence up, fish an un-weighted trick worm in white or pink around any cover(grass, docks, bluffs, riprap or anything else that might hold fish. After a few fish, you will start to see their patterns and be able to expand to other lures and techniques.

:welcome:
Hobie Outback 12-Dune
Jackson Cruise 12-Amber
Heritage Redfish 12-Yellow
Malibu Mini-X 9-Stone
Carolina Skiff 16

"If Starbucks had kayak parking, it would be filled with Hobies."

Re:Need water! 2 years 10 months ago #4

• Neenah, Wisconsin, USA
  • smj190
  • MOD Squad
  • Columbus Day Boondoggle 2015 YakAngler Pro Team2015 YakAngler SupporterAuthorColumbus Day Boondoggle 20132014 YakAngler Supporter Boondoggle Website SupporterYakAngler Mod2013 YakAngler Supporter TravelerAficionadoGreen SkullNovice YakAngler
Welcome! There are a number of paddlers in TN. I hope you can hook up with them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tight Lines and Smooth Paddling!

Need water! 2 years 10 months ago #5

Thanks for all the great information! I'll be sure to give the suggestions a shot and report back. I'm hitting wolftever by the bridge tomorrow morning before class. wish me luck.

Also, really happy to be part of this great forum!

JR
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?