Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Tennessee Kayak Fishing Forum

TOPIC: Where to go?????

Where to go????? 4 years 9 months ago #1

• Athens, Al
  • Kudzu
  • -10 Posts!
Hello to the the great Yak fishermen (and fisher-women) of TN!! I need thoughts and suggestions from folks who have been there. About 6 buddies and myself want to come do a bit of primitive camping and Yak fishin in your great state around April or May and I am trying to gather some great spot ideas! Suggestion greatly appreciated!!!!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Where to go????? 4 years 9 months ago #2

• Mishawaka, Indiana
  • Swamp Monster
  • 50+ Posts!
Good thread. I can't help but I am in the same situation. Looking to go down to Tennessee the last few days of March or the first couple days of April. Here in Michigan, it could be 60 degrees or it could be 15 degrees, so need to find some fishing to the south! Most likely spring Crappie would be on the menu but not limited to that.
-JJ
2015 Jackson Kilroy
2015 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2015 Jackson Big Rig
Wifes rides;
2010 Ultimate 12 Propel

Where to go????? 4 years 9 months ago #3

• , ,
  • McLoving
  • 50+ Posts!
Reelfoot is a great multi-species lake. Crappies, bass, bluegill, and catfish are plentiful.

Dale Hollow is beautiful and has great reputation, but I have never fished it.

I would love to float a smallmouth river in Tennessee. One with a native musky population would be even better. I hope someone has a recommendation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kudzu

Where to go????? 4 years 9 months ago #4

• Old Hickory, TN
  • MidTNKayakAngler
  • 250+ Posts!
  • Ambassador Medal
If it were me, and I didn't live in Tennessee and I knew what I know now about Tennessee I would go to a few key places.

Tennessee has some of the best smallmouth fishing. Yeah Dale Hollow can be good, but it can be really tough, and I mean really tough if you don't hit it right. We have some really good largemouth also. I would also put our river smallmouth up against about anyone's smallmouth and the colors of these fish can be just purely amazing.

Chickamauga, Chattanooga in March can be phenomenal with largemouth the last 3 years it's taken 44lb and 47lb sacks of 5 fish to win tournaments.

Holston River in Northeast Tennessee has some of the best smallmouth in the state, and the rivers are just beautiful. Not many houses on the water, and you don't see many people on the water either.

It will be a little early for Kentucky Lake

West Tennessee's rivers and oxbows are probably the most under rated waters with the Hatchie River and oxbows surrounding it.

Some of the State Parks, and TWRA "Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency" Lakes are managed for trophy bass.

The lower end of Pickwick/Tennessee River can be great during that time of year.

If you need any help please feel free to contact me for more information, or more detailed information.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kudzu

Re:Where to go????? 4 years 9 months ago #5

• Athens, Al
  • Kudzu
  • -10 Posts!
That's good stuff. I think we are going to try and keep it to the lakes for this trip. I will have several folks new to kayak fishing and it will be easier for me to keep up with everybody. What about Percy Priest lake? I have read some good stuff on Reelfoot. Good info....keep it coming!!

Where to go????? 4 years 9 months ago #6

• Charleston, South Carolina, USA
  • DDOlson
  • 2K+ Posts!
  • 2016 YakAngler SupporterPresidents Day Boondoggle 20162016 YakAngler SupporterPresidents Day Boondoggle 2015Columbus Day Boondoggle 2015 2015 YakAngler SupporterColumbus Day Boondoggle 2014 Presidents Day Boondoggle 2014Columbus Day Boondoggle 20132014 YakAngler Supporter PhotographerBoondoggle Website SupporterAuthorPresidents Day Boondoggle 20132013 YakAngler Supporter YakAngler Pro TeamColumbus Day Boondoggle 2012 Presidents Day Boondoggle 20122012 YakAngler Supporter Columbus Day Boondoggle 20112010 YakAngler Supporter2011 YakAngler SupporterAficionadoGreen SkullSavant YakAngler
Kudzu...what ever you and your buddies decide provide a fishing report about the trip.

Where to go????? 4 years 9 months ago #7

• Mishawaka, Indiana
  • Swamp Monster
  • 50+ Posts!
The Hatchie looks pretty sweet. Some beautiful country. A little intimidating for a non local but it looks like it would a great place to explore, fish etc.
-JJ
2015 Jackson Kilroy
2015 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2015 Jackson Big Rig
Wifes rides;
2010 Ultimate 12 Propel

Where to go????? 4 years 9 months ago #8

• Erwin, Tennessee, USA
  • DoubleA
  • 10+ Posts!
From the upper east side of Tenn. I love floating the Nolichucky and South Holston River and Douglas Lake. Great small mouth! The Holston has some great Brown trout. Not a lot of camping along the water but great day floats.
A bad day of fishing over a good day of work anytime!

Old Town Predator MX

Re:Where to go????? 4 years 9 months ago #9

• Old Hickory, TN
  • MidTNKayakAngler
  • 250+ Posts!
  • Ambassador Medal
Kudzu wrote:
That's good stuff. I think we are going to try and keep it to the lakes for this trip. I will have several folks new to kayak fishing and it will be easier for me to keep up with everybody. What about Percy Priest lake? I have read some good stuff on Reelfoot. Good info....keep it coming!!

Percy Priest Lake can be tough. In the spring on particular days I can really get into the White Bass, stripers and Hybrid. During the summer the black bass bite can be good at night. You will definitely need a local though because the bite can change daily.

Old Hickory is another lake here in Nashville if this is the area you're wanting to concentrate on, but it's a shallow cold water lake so the bite doesn't pick up until later.
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?