TOPIC: Demos in central NC

Demos in central NC 1 year 7 months ago #1

• Raleigh, NC
  • natsamjosh
  • 10+ Posts!
There are a couple demo days coming up if anyone is interested:

Great Outdoor Provision Co., Lake Crabtree, Raleigh. April 19
Get Outdoors Paddlesports, Lake Brandt, Greensboro. April 28

Hoping to try out a bunch of brands/models so I can finally make a decision and buy one!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Demos in central NC 1 year 7 months ago #2

• Wisconsin
  • Clay
  • 250+ Posts!
Sounds like a grand time to get some real hands on experience instead of reading marketing pieces put out there by the manufacturers.

You'll have to keep us posted on your first person observations of the boats that you try out.

So, what's on the short list to try at the event for you?
Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not the fish that they are after. Henry David Thoreau

Demos in central NC 1 year 7 months ago #3

• Raleigh, NC
  • natsamjosh
  • 10+ Posts!
Clay wrote:
Sounds like a grand time to get some real hands on experience instead of reading marketing pieces put out there by the manufacturers.

You'll have to keep us posted on your first person observations of the boats that you try out.

So, what's on the short list to try at the event for you?

What I am hoping to try out:

NuCanoe Frontier 12 (and/or 10 if they have one)
NuCanoe Flint
Old Town Predator MX
FeelFree Lure 11.5
Wilderness Systems Radar 115
Bonafide SS107 (if the dealer has one.)

Looking forward to trying them out! Will report back.

Thanks,
Ed

Demos in central NC 1 year 7 months ago #4

• Wisconsin
  • Clay
  • 250+ Posts!
I know that you can only paddle so many boats for your time. I'm not sure that the SS107 is even released yet, but if you are going to paddle a couple other 12' boats. Go a head and paddle the SS127. I personally see very few reasons to buy a 10' boat vs a full sized boat.

I think actually sitting in the seats on the water will answer many questions for you. Enjoy and I look forward to hearing of your experiences. Thanks for sharing.
Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not the fish that they are after. Henry David Thoreau

Demos in central NC 1 year 7 months ago #5

• Raleigh, NC
  • natsamjosh
  • 10+ Posts!
Clay wrote:
I know that you can only paddle so many boats for your time. I'm not sure that the SS107 is even released yet, but if you are going to paddle a couple other 12' boats. Go a head and paddle the SS127. I personally see very few reasons to buy a 10' boat vs a full sized boat.

I think actually sitting in the seats on the water will answer many questions for you. Enjoy and I look forward to hearing of your experiences. Thanks for sharing.

Yeah, I originally was only going to look at a 10' or 10.5' boat, but after reading and researching I don't think that makes sense either, since I'm not that strapped for cash where a few hundred dollars (ie, SS107 vs SS127) will be a deciding factor. And a few more pounds and a foot or foot and a half won't make much difference as far as transporting and storing. I will definitely try out the SS127 as well, if possible. I did get to see and stand in one in the store a few weeks ago, seemed awesome. I was hoping to stay under $1500, but I'm sure we all know how that goes.

Thanks for the feedback!
Ed

Demos in central NC 1 year 7 months ago #6

• Wisconsin
  • Clay
  • 250+ Posts!
I just noticed where the paddle events are. I just visited their nice website within the last couple of days. If you remember, ask them about the introduction of the Native Slayer 12 XC. See if they tell you anything interesting on the release date. It has a $1499 price point, was suppose to be released in March and didn't hit the release date. Looks like an interesting boat for my application of standing and fly fishing.

Demos in central NC 1 year 7 months ago #7

• Raleigh, NC
  • natsamjosh
  • 10+ Posts!
Clay wrote:
I just noticed where the paddle events are. I just visited their nice website within the last couple of days. If you remember, ask them about the introduction of the Native Slayer 12 XC. See if they tell you anything interesting on the release date. It has a $1499 price point, was suppose to be released in March and didn't hit the release date. Looks like an interesting boat for my application of standing and fly fishing.

Wow, that looks like a nice boat! I want to be able to stand also, so the clean deck is appealing. Supposedly a rep from Native Watercraft will be at the demo this Thursday, I will be sure to ask.

Thanks,
Ed

Demos in central NC 1 year 7 months ago #8

• Wisconsin
  • Clay
  • 250+ Posts!
Thanks for the help Ed. Native DOES NOT HAVE a phone number to call to find out what is going on with that boat, so any info will be appreciated.

Demos in central NC 1 year 6 months ago #9

• Raleigh, NC
  • natsamjosh
  • 10+ Posts!
Clay wrote:
Thanks for the help Ed. Native DOES NOT HAVE a phone number to call to find out what is going on with that boat, so any info will be appreciated.

Had a fun time at the demo, got to paddle:

NuCanoe Frontier 12
NuCanoe Flint
NuCanoe Pursuit
BonaFide SS127
FeelFree Lure 11.5

It was terribly windy, which might have been a good thing. The Frontier 12 was super stable, but almost too wide. It was like a tank. I do like the open deck of the NuCanoe's, and I liked the Flint and Pursuit models, both seemed to track well and were pretty fast. What I didn't like about the pursuit is that the deck isn't flat, so standing was a little awkward. The flint was nice, but the seat would have to be upgraded to be able to adjust it higher, so more $$$$.

The SS127 was nice. Didn't track as well as the Flint and Pursuit, but again, it was super windy. Was a little annoying there were no built-in rod holders, but not a big deal. It was pretty easy to stand up in as well.

The Lure 11.5 was really nice, might be the one I buy. But I'm not sure the seat was any more comfortable than the other kayaks, even though I've heard how great the seat was. Honestly, they all were pretty comfortable. The Lure 11.5 was definitely a little more stable for standing up than the SS127

Regarding the Slayer 12 XC, I talked to the Native rep. He said they had to do some "re-tooling," which caused the delay, but they started shipping today. (What a coincidence.) I asked him when I realistically could expect to see any in local stores, he said several weeks. He didn't really tell me anything that wasn't on the website, although he did say the skeg was a nice feature if you want better performance in lakes/slow moving water. Also, the seat and seat base is the same as the Titan model. That's all I could get out of him. :)

Thanks,
Ed
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clay

Demos in central NC 1 year 6 months ago #10

• Wisconsin
  • Clay
  • 250+ Posts!
Two comments surprised me. One was: "What I didn't like about the pursuit is that the deck isn't flat, so standing was a little awkward." Can you tell me more about the deck? Did it slope to the scuppers or what do you mean by it isn't flat?

The second comment that surprised me was that the Bonafide didn't track very well. I thought with that hull design it would track great. It just could have been the wind. Check out this video: Bonafide hull design

Paddle another SS127 a different day.

So which boat tripped your trigger of what you tried that day? Are you still undecided and need to paddle some more boats?

Thanks for sharing.
  • Page:
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?