Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Strip mines

Strip mines 5 years 2 months ago #1

• Near St. Louis, MO
  • TLB4422
  • 10+ Posts!
alrighty...

when I was a tadpole my pop would load up the jon boat, and we'd haead out to a strip mine to fish. if I remember right they were down some pretty beat up gravel roads. Pop has passed away, and I have no clue where these little lakes might be. I am itching to get my kayak in one, I think it would be a blast. if I remember right we never really tore em up in these places, but it was a good time on the water with dad

anyone have any clues where strip mines may be 'round here? i was so little I barely remember it, but it couldnt have been too awful from from St. Louis... dad wasn't a big fan of long hours of driving. again, not looking to steal anyones honey hole.. I work 6 days a week, and can really only afford to fish about 3 hours on a sunday. (this is practically every week)

i've looked at google maps.. but i'll be honest. i dont have a clue where to even begin, whats private? what's public? etc

please let me know if you've heard of any, if nothing else it may be good to go and relive old memories.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Strip mines 5 years 2 months ago #2

• St. Joseph, MO
  • Cuivre
  • 50+ Posts!
That is a good question- I know there are some old lead mines SW of St. Louis- Potosi area (I don't live on that side of the state any longer). I fished old coal strip mine land north of Columbia in Finger Lakes State Park- nice deep clean water. Unless someone else can help, I would check out the MDC on-line for each county within the area and see what you can find- I do that for the various areas of the state I've lived in and I found some good hidden gems! I've done the same using Google earth as well- public areas are usually shaded and identified on the map-view. Good luck!
2016 Perception Pescador 120Pro

Re:Strip mines 5 years 2 months ago #3

• Bardstown, Kentucky, USA
  • CentKyPaddler
  • 250+ Posts!
  • Ambassador Medal
Only place I know of is located around Central City, Ky. Peabody WMA is the name and it is a ton of old strip mine lakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Native Slayer Propel 13
Native Ultimate FX 15 Tandem

Re:Strip mines 5 years 2 months ago #4

Following! I'm in Hannibal, and that sounds like it would be an amazing day trip.

Re:Strip mines 5 years 2 months ago #5

• kentucky
  • Eireguy
  • 10+ Posts!
Peabody is awesome to fish . Just make sure you get the permit for it & the latest map because they change what ponds you can use .
Last Edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Eireguy.

Re:Strip mines 5 years 2 months ago #6

• St. Joseph, MO
  • Cuivre
  • 50+ Posts!
Peabody was the same coal mining company that made the strip pits north of Columbia. One interconnected canal/lake I used to fish there was about a mile from end to end with a lot of pockets and pools. I once thought someone was throwing rocks at me there...until I discovered it was just a beaver doing it's warning slaps with its tail! LOL! First time I ever saw a beaver in the wild-about 25 years ago-not whey are pretty common.
2016 Perception Pescador 120Pro
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eireguy

Strip mines 5 years 2 months ago #7

• Hot Springs, Arkansas
  • Warhawk
  • 10+ Posts!
In Southeast Kansas there is the Mined Land Wildlife Area, a bunch of strip pits that are open to fishing. A kayak seems like it would be perfect.

A bonus would be to see Big Brutus. en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Brutus
Jackson Tripper 12
Last Edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Warhawk.
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?