Kayak Fishing Ultimate Resource

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Brand new to kayaking

Brand new to kayaking 5 years 3 months ago #1

• Near St. Louis, MO
  • TLB4422
  • 10+ Posts!
alright folks, got lucky a few weeks ago and a friend let me try his sit in kayak. I loved it and really want to get one. Here's my deal tho, I have a TON of expenses and can not (in anyway) afford a Hobie, or $1000+ kayak, Im struggling to afford a $400 kayak.

I had no issues with stability, I honestly couldnt tell you the brand. My question is, at Cabelas they have an "Emotion stealth angler 11" for around $379 - Ive seen a lot of videos and a review or two and everything looks favorable. I plan on fishing slow moving creeks, lakes (with little or slow moving boat traffic) maybe the occasional river (Meremac in Arnold, etc) possibly portions of big river as well..

would this be a good boat for me? I am a fat ass, 6'2" - 250lbs

the capacity of the kayak is 300lbs and I doubt I'll have that much equipment... but I am new to all this thoughts, opinions>?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Brand new to kayaking 5 years 3 months ago #2

• Lothar123
  • 10+ Posts!
Greetings! Fellow big guy here. That kayak is likely to hold you, but expect a wet butt as you're pushing the weight limit. That looks like a good price until you think about also needing a decent paddle and life jacket. This brings up the minimum closer to $500. Also the seat doesn't appear to provide much support, so you may end upgrading or dealing with a stiff back.

I don't want to discourage you, but unfortunately it's hard to get into this hobby for much less than ~$1000 if you're a big guy. I highly recommend you start looking on Craigslist for used, higher-end brands. I often see wilderness system and Jacksons there. Another option would be to buy a kayak package from Austin Kayak or Vibe, but you'll still in the ~$700 minimum range. Call around to kayak shops about their demo boats as well. This is how I got mine.

Good luck and I hope you figure something out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re:Brand new to kayaking 5 years 3 months ago #3

• Near St. Louis, MO
  • TLB4422
  • 10+ Posts!
thank you.. i'll do that. i didnt even know vibe existed till a couple days ago.. REALLY like the sea ghost 130 just concerned it's 'too much' yak for what I want to do with it. BUT, if I ever wanted to camp or something I'd certainly be able to with a 550 ;b capacity.

Thank you.

Re:Brand new to kayaking 5 years 3 months ago #4

• Near St. Louis, MO
  • TLB4422
  • 10+ Posts!
not to mention the fact it;s a 900 boat.. but... just means I'll have to save longer.. maybe next spring. will keep looking though. also considering the ascend fs12t (capacity is only 350) but talked to a few who have them my size and they have no issues.... 2016's didnt seem to have the leak issues the 2015s did

Re:Brand new to kayaking 5 years 3 months ago #5

• Njfireman21
  • 10+ Posts!
Check out sports authority. I bought 2 perception striker 115 for $276 each. With paddles. They are $600 originally. Not to mention they are 500lb capacity yaks and sturdy as hell even in the bays and ocean like I fish. You may still be able to catch a deal or 2 since they are going out of business and need to liquidate everything. Good luck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Re:Brand new to kayaking 5 years 3 months ago #6

• Near St. Louis, MO
  • TLB4422
  • 10+ Posts!
I may take a drive up there, thats a crazy deal. I was looking at the perception striker for a bit and was turned away because everyone comaplained about the tracking, I think I can deal with it for that price!

one thing i dont get (Back to capacity) is I see people everywhere saying a 250lb guy needs 400+ lbs capacity etc.. then 2 min later I see people my size in yaks rated at 300, and they're bragging on them saying what great yaks they are, how well they perform, etc. just dont understand it all i guess.

Thank you!!

Re:Brand new to kayaking 5 years 3 months ago #7

• Lothar123
  • 10+ Posts!
TLB4422, boat capacity ratings are messy. I believe companies set their own - so you can image folks being creative/liberal. A kayak with a 300lb capacity CAN hold you, but it will sit low in the water and probably not paddle well. It may even be tippy, which isn't safe. If it's a SOT, water will come up the scuppers and that's no fun. I wouldn't want to regularly fish from a kayak that did t have at least a 375lb capacity.

My daughter has one of the Vibe SJ90's and loves it. I can use the boat, though my butt gets wet. It was a great buy for the price!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?