Kayak Fishing Ultimate Resource

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Lake Wappapello Questions

Lake Wappapello Questions 5 years 10 months ago #1

• Eastern Tennessee
  • Dmax
  • 50+ Posts!
I'm trying to plan a trip for the end of March. Two friends from omaha are going to meet me at our half way point for a few days of fishing and camping. I'm coming from the Tn/Nc border and Wappapello seems like it will work depending upon a few questions:

How's the fishing?
Are we allowed to pull up anywhere on the lake to camp? We'd like to spend each night in a different location on the lake.
Are there any class 2 on the stretch between Sam A Baker and Greenville? If there is we'd put in at Greenville. None of us want to mess with class 2 or more on this trip.
'15 Jackson Cuda 14
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Lake Wappapello Questions 5 years 9 months ago #2

• Missouri
  • chatterx
  • 250+ Posts!
  • Ambassador Medal2016 YakAngler Supporter2014 YakAngler Supporter 2015 YakAngler SupporterAficionado
I sent you a pm with all the info about camping on the lake. Dont know if you got it or not but here it is

Www.mostateparks.com/sites/default/files/rates-lakewappapello-2015.pdf

Also go to google earth and type in sam a baker state park and follow the river. about a mile or two down from sam a baker looks to be some rapids but they look to be the only ones for the trip....hmmmmm i think i see a kayak adventure in march myself!!

Try using a mister twister 3" meeny tail grub in yellow with a #2 nickel spinner and a 1/16 or 1/8 lead head. I tear the bass up on these in the st francis!! I am including the pic of the rapids I saw on google earth. keep in mind though that river level can make a difference in the trip.

river.jpg
Last Edit: 5 years 9 months ago by chatterx. Reason: trying to add a pic

Lake Wappapello Questions 5 years 9 months ago #3

• Eastern Tennessee
  • Dmax
  • 50+ Posts!
Thanks for your help Chatterx!!!
I called the state park and they referred me to the corps of engineers.
The only places to camp are the established campgrounds. We were hoping to stay away from them. Where I live we have national forest bordering some of the lakes. On those areas you can pull up where ever you want and camp. I was hoping Wappapello had this. But after talking to the corps, they don't. He said the only camping like that is above Greenville. Greenville is where we were hoping to put in.. I wonder how hard it is to paddle up this river??
Maybe a better put in for us would be Sam a baker sp.
That radid In the picture looked like the only one to me also. Other areas kinda looked like the wind making a shine, or its some shoals. I'm not sure.

After checking a map, I'm not sure where we're headed. Bull Shoals is a little more than half way, but doable. Lake Carlyle and Rand Lake in Il are also a half way option. .. They want lakes. That's why I picked Wappapello. I could have a little River fishing before we hit the lake.

Any ideas where to go?
'15 Jackson Cuda 14
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?