Kayak Fishing Ultimate Resource

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Anyone from the Cumberland, MD area?

Anyone from the Cumberland, MD area? 4 years 6 months ago #1

• Ridgecrest, California, USA
  • Kayak_angler
  • 1250+ Posts!
  • 2015 YakAngler Supporter2014 YakAngler Supporter Columbus Day Boondoggle 2014 Ambassador MedalTravelerReviewer
I'm meeting with the supervisor for a job position located at the Allegany Ballistic Laboratory near Cumberland, MD this afternoon. My wife & I discussed making the cross country move the past few days and we are both excited and nervous at the same time about making such a life change. I like the job opportunity but I have some questions to bring up and hopefully they will have good answers to make us feel better about taking it.

Does anyone on here live near the Cumberland, MD area? If so, please chime in and let me know a little about the area and good fishing spots. Thank you!!!
Save the earth. It's the only planet with kayaks, fish & chocolate!!!

2015 Jackson Coosa HD

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Anyone from the Cumberland, MD area? 4 years 6 months ago #2

• NE Pennsylvania
  • Spider1
  • 1250+ Posts!
  • Ambassador Medal
Holy Smokes that a long trip and it's gonna be a big change! I can't help with any info on the area but I can wish you and your wife the bust of luck and I hope you love your new home!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kayak_angler

Anyone from the Cumberland, MD area? 4 years 6 months ago #3

• Kayak_angler
  • 1250+ Posts!
  • 2015 YakAngler Supporter2014 YakAngler Supporter Columbus Day Boondoggle 2014 Ambassador MedalTravelerReviewer
Spider1 wrote:
Holy Smokes that a long trip and it's gonna be a big change! I can't help with any info on the area but I can wish you and your wife the bust of luck and I hope you love your new home!

It is most definitely going to be a huge lifestyle change and I hope it all works out. If this works, I'll be able to enjoy 4 seasons rather than the typical 2 seasons we get here which are hot & windy and cold and windy. It would be nice to see green grass and trees and see water in lakes and rivers again.

2015 Jackson Coosa HD

Anyone from the Cumberland, MD area? 4 years 6 months ago #4

• NE Pennsylvania
  • Spider1
  • 1250+ Posts!
  • Ambassador Medal
LOL, yeah instead of hot & windy and cold and windy, you'll have hot, wet & windy and cold wet and windy!!! :lmao:

Anyone from the Cumberland, MD area? 4 years 6 months ago #5

• Apison, TN, USA
  • MontyMurdoch
  • 800+ Posts!
  • 2016 YakAngler Supporter2015 YakAngler SupporterAmbassador Medal2014 YakAngler Supporter 2013 YakAngler Supporter Presidents Day Boondoggle 2013Aficionado
I lived in Hagerstown for years. Hagerstown is probably an hour east. You will certainly have four seasons. There are some really cool trout streams all around the area. I enjoyed my time there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kayak_angler

Anyone from the Cumberland, MD area? 4 years 6 months ago #6

• Kayak_angler
  • 1250+ Posts!
The supervisor for the new job contacted me yesterday asking some more questions and talking of a pay raise for me to move there as well. :) Things are looking good at this point so hopefully I'll know for sure soon. We have begun preparing everything around our house and made plenty of phone calls to people around the Cumberland area. If I get the job it looks like I may be starting around the first week of July and we would move into the area mid June to get settled in.

I hate the waiting game when it comes to trying to get a new job, but I'm feeling good about the outcome on this so I'll just wait and see.

2015 Jackson Coosa HD

Anyone from the Cumberland, MD area? 4 years 6 months ago #7

• KevinCostello
  • 250+ Posts!
  • 2016 YakAngler SupporterAmbassador MedalLifetime YakAngler Supporter2015 YakAngler Supporter2014 YakAngler Supporter TravelerAficionado
There are a lot of nice bass and trout waters around Cumberland.
Potomac River, Youghiogheny River, Deep Creek Lake, Fifteen Mile Creek in Green Ridge S.F.
Jackson Kayak Coosa HD
Jackson Kayak Kilroy DT

Shanks Mare Fishing Team
shanksmare.com/
Werner Paddles Fishing Ambassador
www.wernerpaddles.com/
Kayak Anglers
www.kayak-anglers.com

Anyone from the Cumberland, MD area? 4 years 6 months ago #8

• Kayak_angler
  • 1250+ Posts!
KevinCostello wrote:
There are a lot of nice bass and trout waters around Cumberland.
Potomac River, Youghiogheny River, Deep Creek Lake, Fifteen Mile Creek in Green Ridge S.F.

I definitely plan to explore the options of fishing waters nearby once I get there. If I'm selected and once I receive an official notice my wife & I are planning to make a quick 4-5 day trip and check out the area and find a place to live before getting there. I hope I can find some fellow yak anglers in the area to show me some nice spots.

Thanks for the heads up on the waters you mentioned, I'll be sure to check them out. Are there any good crappie fishing waters nearby? I would like to get out and fish for some crappie again being that we don't have many places here in southern California for catching them. I know the Potomac River has plenty of SM bass but is there any LM bass around as well?

2015 Jackson Coosa HD

Anyone from the Cumberland, MD area? 4 years 6 months ago #9

• Boonsboro, Maryland, USA
  • archeryrob
  • 50+ Posts!
  • Novice YakAngler
Not real close, but Washington County below Hagerstown and got a buddy in Clear Spring that kayak fishes also. So I'm an hour and he's 40 minutes, maybe.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it isn't worth doing ... or you're just doing it all wrong!"

Anyone from the Cumberland, MD area? 4 years 6 months ago #10

• Kayak_angler
  • 1250+ Posts!
archeryrob wrote:
Not real close, but Washington County below Hagerstown and got a buddy in Clear Spring that kayak fishes also. So I'm an hour and he's 40 minutes, maybe.

I'm glad to hear there are some yak anglers nearby the Cumberland area. I'm waiting on a phone call from the Chief Technology Officer right now to see if I get the job. If I get the job I'll be sure to contact you because I'll be looking for the good fishing spots around the area.

2015 Jackson Coosa HD

• Page:
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?