Kayak Fishing Ultimate Resource

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Moving to the area

Moving to the area 6 years 1 month ago #1

It looks like I will be getting stationed in the DC area within the next few months. I was wondering if anyone can give me an insight on how's the fishing up there, what kind gear I should be using. I have a Cuda 14 and all my rods and gear are set up for redfish and speckled trout down here in Louisiana.

Thank you,
Daniel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last Edit: 6 years 1 month ago by crazy_train.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Moving to the area 6 years 1 month ago #2

• , ,
  • rhinojoe2014
  • 250+ Posts!
  • Ambassador MedalTravelerDilettante
I know there is some good fishing up there.. Ever watch Jeff Little's videos?

Desert Camo Cuda 12 with Rudder..
2 Ascend Sit in 12 foot Kayaks

Re:Moving to the area 6 years 1 month ago #3

I have not but I will look them up.

Moving to the area 6 years 1 month ago #4

• Manchester, Pennsylvania, USA
  • ldsudduth
  • 50+ Posts!
Your Cuda 14 should be just perfect for the area. And, you've got the Chesapeake Bay, and also the Norfolk/VA Beach area for your saltwater cravings. Also Tidal Potomac. I'm not sure about the rod setups you have for Reds/Trout but you are in prime River Smallmouth country.. Potomac River..James River...and just about 3 hours away the Mighty Susquehanna. M-F rods, spinning and baitcasting..20lb braid, tipped with 8-10lb fluorocarbon leaders for jigs fishing with crawfish and fluke/small swimbai-- weightless or weighted, and spinnerbait. Go mono for crankbaits.

Also, Northern Snakeheads are targeted for fun and are quite tasty, I hear.

Look for Jeff Little videos on You Tube..he's also produced a series of DVD's for River Smallmouth; and also is on pivotshare with 'Tightline Junkies Journal'. That's a pay site, but he's got some good information on targeting Stripers in the Chesapeake Bay. And, to add, Jeff's a heck of a nice guy who has no qualms about sharing tips, tricks etc.

I'm in Southern PA, just south of Harrisburg.
Buy Your YakAngler Supporter Badges!

In America today you can murder land for private profit. You can leave the corpse for all to see, and nobody calls the cops. ~Paul Brooks

Proud Supporter of Local Business!

Susquehanna Fishing Tackle
sfttackle.com

GRT Jigs
www.d2lures.com/

Re:Moving to the area 6 years 1 month ago #5

That's the setup I have on my two shimano sahara 3000's.

Moving to the area 6 years 1 month ago #6

• Manassas, Virginia, USA
  • FishAholic929
  • 1250+ Posts!
  • Columbus Day Boondoggle 2015 Columbus Day Boondoggle 2014 Columbus Day Boondoggle 2013Boondoggle Website SupporterAmbassador Medal2013 YakAngler Supporter SeekerCrack YakAngler
I live 30 miles from DC and fish all over the area. Your cuda 14 is perfect, I know several people who fish the same yak. You name the fish and you can be targeting it within an hour of DC (ok, not any fish but A LOT of different species). LM Bass, SM Bass, Spotted Bass, Crappie, Channel Cat, Flathead Cat, Blue Cat, Muskie, Walleye, Pickerel, Pike, Snakehead, Striper, Flounder, Croaker, Blues, the list goes on and on.....
Jeff
Life's Short, Fish Hard
Orange OK Frenzy, Lime Camo Old Town Predator 13, Tan Diablo Adios, Orange Peception Pescador Sport 10, Lime Perception Pescador Sport 10

Moving to the area 6 years 4 weeks ago #7

• Boonsboro, Maryland, USA
  • archeryrob
  • 50+ Posts!
  • Novice YakAngler
Sign up at snaggedline.com, which is the Maryland Kayak fishing forum and meet lots of local kayak anglers. Don't eat the Kitty cats down around the 495 Wilson Bridge, lots of heavy metals and such in the area. The bay has stripers and reds, trout and blues in the lower bay.

They put a lot of reports up on Snaggedline.com and tidalfish is the forum most of the boaters use if you want to track what they are catching.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it isn't worth doing ... or you're just doing it all wrong!"
Last Edit: 6 years 4 weeks ago by archeryrob.
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?