Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Ocean City Camping and Fishing

Maryland Fishing Reports 6 years 3 months ago #1

• Baltimore, Maryland, USA
  • crbshooter
  • 500+ Posts!
  • 2015 YakAngler Supporter2014 YakAngler Supporter Ambassador MedalTraveler
My family and I just got back from our annual camping trip to Frontier Town Campground just outside of Ocean City Maryland. This is a trip we look forward to every year. For me it's the saltwater fishing, and for the kids its the awesome water park that is free for campers. I get to fish out of the yak for three days since the first and last days of the trip are set up and tear down days.

WP_20140625_17_26_50_Pro.jpg

On this trip, my target species is Fluke or Summer Flounder. As a kid, I camped with my parents at another campground close to this one. I remember my father renting aluminum boats to go fishing. We always drifted for flounder, and would bring back a stringer full. That was before the days of size and creel limits. I try to relive this with my yak, except for the stringer full. The limits in Maryland are now 16 inch minimum with a 2 fish per person/day.

Each morning, I launched from the campground boat ramp.

WP_20140626_08_50_19_Pro.jpg

The body of water is called Sinepuxent Bay. It is located between mainland Maryland and Assateague Island. The bay is very shallow with sandbars everywhere. In the area I fish, there are two channels. One close to the campground and one in the middle of the bay beyond a sandbar. The sandbar is where you can see sharks and rays feeding each morning. There is nothing like a shark blowing up bait 20 yards from your yak!

WP_20140626_07_23_50_Pro.jpg

The plan was to drift the channels with the incoming tides. When the water went slack, I would let the wind push me. I used a dropper loop rig tied with 20lb mono ending in a 1oz bucktail tipped with a Gulp Alive swimming mullet. About 12 inches up from the bucktail, I attached a Mylar teaser, Mustard 2/0 hook and another Gulp.

WP_20140626_09_08_26_Pro.jpg

Tuesday morning was beautiful. The temperature was going to be in the upper 70's with a light breeze from the east. Water temps were better this year and more conducive for flounder than last year. Last year there was a cold water upwelling offshore that kept the temps around 62 degrees. That kept most of the fish offshore. This year saw the return of the normal water pattern and water temps of around 72 degrees. Within the first drift of the day, I hooked up but lost it at the yak, I was too impatient and forgot to let the flounder eat. Over the next couple of hours I had multiple swings and misses from being rusty, but did get two into the yak.

The first was a 14 inches.

WP_20140624_07_49_39_Pro.jpg

The second was a 15 incher. I tried and tried, but I couldn't stretch it for the 16 inch minimum.

WP_20140624_07_32_38_Pro1.jpg

Unfortunately these were the only fish boated in the three days. Wednesday and Thursday the wind shifted to the S-SE and made the water dirty and filled with grass. I did find out that crabs love Gulp, even when it is jigged vigorously.

I have brought a second yak before, but this year my teenager decided he didn't want to wake up before 10 and the wife is leery about sharks so it was left home. The kids did a bit of fishing at night though, but I think they need a bigger boat!

WP_20140625_20_18_52_Pro.jpg

As always, it was a great trip. We finished it off with a 5 mile drive to Assateague Island State Park where we camp in the end of September for surf fishing. This gives us something to look forward to.

WP_20140625_20_30_30_Pro.jpg
Last Edit: 6 years 3 months ago by crbshooter.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Ocean City Camping and Fishing 6 years 3 months ago #2

• Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
  • marsh_life
  • 2K+ Posts!
  • 2016 YakAngler Supporter2015 YakAngler SupporterYakAngler Pro TeamPhotographer2014 YakAngler Supporter TravelerAficionadoGreen Skull
Sounds like a great trip with the family, thanks for sharing.

And yes, crabs love gulp... I have had them latch on and not let go until they were out of the water near the boat. Bad thing is they can destroy a gulp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The following user(s) said Thank You: crbshooter

Re:Ocean City Camping and Fishing 6 years 3 months ago #3

• Neenah, Wisconsin, USA
  • smj190
  • MOD Squad
  • Columbus Day Boondoggle 2015 YakAngler Pro Team2015 YakAngler SupporterAuthorColumbus Day Boondoggle 20132014 YakAngler Supporter Boondoggle Website SupporterYakAngler Mod2013 YakAngler Supporter TravelerAficionadoGreen SkullNovice YakAngler
Looks like an awesome trip. Thank you for sharing!
Tight Lines and Smooth Paddling!

Maryland Fishing Reports 6 years 3 months ago #4

• , ,
  • KevBur4
  • 50+ Posts!
What a great story! It makes me want to head to the east coast with one of my boats.
Kevin B (Team IKayakFish)

www.IKayakFish.com

Maryland Fishing Reports 6 years 3 months ago #5

• Locust Grove, Virginia, USA
  • blainbloomfield
  • 50+ Posts!
  • 2014 YakAngler Supporter PioneerDilettante
great trip report! My family and I are headed to Ocean City in a few weeks. This will be my first time there... we usually go to the Outer Banks or Myrtle. I'm looking forward to some pier fishing since I wont be taking the yak.
John Stone (find me on the Virginia Kayak Anglers Facebook page)

Re:Ocean City Camping and Fishing 6 years 3 months ago #6

• Baltimore, Maryland, USA
  • crbshooter
  • 500+ Posts!
  • 2015 YakAngler Supporter2014 YakAngler Supporter Ambassador MedalTraveler
The Rt 50 bridge at night is very good. Right now there are stripers, blues, flounder, and shad. There is always the chance at a shark or ray. Make sure you find moving water. The OC inlet is also very good. Fish close to the rocks for tog and sheepshead, in the channel for stripers and blues.
Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk
The following user(s) said Thank You: blainbloomfield

Re:Ocean City Camping and Fishing 6 years 3 months ago #7

• Locust Grove, Virginia, USA
  • blainbloomfield
  • 50+ Posts!
  • 2014 YakAngler Supporter PioneerDilettante
crbshooter wrote:
The Rt 50 bridge at night is very good. Right now there are stripers, blues, flounder, and shad. There is always the chance at a shark or ray. Make sure you find moving water. The OC inlet is also very good. Fish close to the rocks for tog and sheepshead, in the channel for stripers and blues.
Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

Thanks
John Stone (find me on the Virginia Kayak Anglers Facebook page)
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?