Kayak Fishing Ultimate Resource

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Information overload

Information overload 6 years 5 months ago #1

• Lake Charles, La
  • blake70605
  • 10+ Posts!
As i was growing up, my dad always had a boat that we could fish the rigs in the Gulf. Inland fishing is sort of new to me. I am trying to learn about the best times to fish, the best bait choices (we always used a shrimp, a weight, and a hook as a kid), and the lay of the land as far as water depths and such around Lake Charles. My internet research has only led to more confusion because of the conflicting info I've found. I will primarily be spending most of my fishing in the lake area. Any help wold be appreciated.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Re: Information overload 6 years 5 months ago #2

• Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
  • marsh_life
  • 2K+ Posts!
  • 2016 YakAngler Supporter2015 YakAngler SupporterYakAngler Pro TeamPhotographer2014 YakAngler Supporter TravelerAficionadoGreen Skull
Best thing is probably hook up and go with others, this is a good way to cut the learning curve... you are welcome to come with me anytime. Also, there are some guys on the group facebook page that would be happy to connect as well. As far as lures, I can give you some ideas of things that are consistent producers. I even recently met up with some guys, at their request, at a tackle shop to show them some of these. Just let me know, I will be happy to help in anyway I can.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk
Last Edit: 6 years 5 months ago by marsh_life.

Re:Re: Information overload 6 years 5 months ago #3

• Lake Charles, La
  • blake70605
  • 10+ Posts!
Thank you marsh_life. I will take you up on that soon.

Re:Information overload 5 years 5 months ago #4

• Iola, Kansas, USA
  • stratapastor
  • 50+ Posts!
  • Ambassador Medal2013 YakAngler Supporter 2014 YakAngler Supporter
My friend gets a magazine called louisiana sportsman. It has tips for each upcoming month about where and how to fish. I'm thinking about ordering it simply because there is a lot of inland stuff that applies anywhere you fish.

Re:Information overload 5 years 5 months ago #5

• Morgan City, Louisiana, USA
  • ezbraud
  • 800+ Posts!
  • 2016 YakAngler Supporter2015 YakAngler SupporterYakAngler Pro Team2014 YakAngler Supporter Ambassador Medal2013 YakAngler Supporter SeekerReviewer
stratapastor wrote:
My friend gets a magazine called louisiana sportsman. It has tips for each upcoming month about where and how to fish. I'm thinking about ordering it simply because there is a lot of inland stuff that applies anywhere you fish.

LA Sportsman can be a great resource for our area.

As far as conflicting online info on lures/techniques goes; it's important to keep in mind that everybody has different techniques that they feel comfortable with and different lures that they're confident in. There are usually more than just one way to fish productively at a given time so one way may work for one guy, but may not work effectively for someone else doing the same thing. That's a part of the reason for so much information online that seems to conflict with one another. As you get used to the areas and get to know what you're doing, you'll have confidence baits that will consistently produce for you.

If you head toward the eastern side of the state (around the Houma area) let me know. I'd be happy to help you out down here as well.
BayouYakin.com

Re:Information overload 5 years 5 months ago #6

• Iola, Kansas, USA
  • stratapastor
  • 50+ Posts!
  • Ambassador Medal2013 YakAngler Supporter 2014 YakAngler Supporter
This can't be said enough! Just because two people fish differently doesn't mean that either is doing it wrong... as long as they are catching. Knowing how a lot of people fish helps you adapt your own styles. I have some places where a jig will slay the crappie / sac-a-lait eveyr time. At another place I fish they seem almost jig shy but I can tease them out with a minnow even on a rough day. Also time of year and weather greatly affect what will work and what won't.
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?