Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Kentucky Kayak Fishing Forum

TOPIC: Guist Creek Lake

Guist Creek Lake 4 years 6 months ago #1

• Louisville, KY
  • auburnAJ
  • 50+ Posts!
I was planning on fishing Guist Creek Lake this Saturday but the wind is supposed to be blowing in the mid-20s. I haven't ever fished it before and I was curious if the wind can get pretty bad on that lake? I am trying to decide if I should change destinations or not. I would be fine hitting up a creek but with all this rain I am afraid they're going to be blown out. I might consider Lake Shelby since it is smaller and more protected.
2014 Jackson Big Rig
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Guist Creek Lake 4 years 6 months ago #2

• kwood
  • 10+ Posts!
Shelbyville had a monsoon today. I would say they will both be mud holes, especially lake Shelby. As far as the wind, I think you would be ok at Guist Creek.

Guist Creek Lake 4 years 6 months ago #3

• Louisville, Kentucky, USA
  • Crawyakker
  • 50+ Posts!
  • 2016 YakAngler SupporterDilettante
You'll probably run into similar troubles no matter where you go. Monsoon is right. I drive all around town for work and that rain/wind hit everywhere. I fished the bank a little at McNeely Thursday afternoon and the wind was literally blowing the rod out of my hand. Let us know how you fair.
Ascend D10
2016 Jackson Cuda 12

Guist Creek Lake 4 years 6 months ago #4

• Louisville, KY
  • Daveed
  • 10+ Posts!
If fished there on Friday and caught two small (really small) hybrids. Wind was a problem. Water temp 62 and clarity about a foot. Guist always looks the same, with different water stain color (brownish to greenish) but the same level of clarity.

I tried minnows (gave half away to next fisherman) and gold kastmasters. Both fish on Kastmasters. Today would surely be better and less wind.
Perception Pescador Pro 10

Guist Creek Lake 4 years 6 months ago #5

• Louisville, KY
  • auburnAJ
  • 50+ Posts!
I made it out and the wind didn't affect me terribly but I stayed mostly in protected areas. I was actually surprised how well I was able to paddle my Big Rig in it. I got into an open area at one point and I was practically a sail for for kayak so I quickly turned around and headed back the direction I came before I got into too windy of a situation. I also was trying out my new Raymarine Dragonfly 4Pro for the first time. Warmest water temp I found was 60 degrees. I was definitely marking fish with it but I wasn't able to catch anything. I wasn't the only one though. I didn't see anyone catching fish.
2014 Jackson Big Rig

Guist Creek Lake 4 years 6 months ago #6

• Louisville, KY
  • Daveed
  • 10+ Posts!
Slightly off topic....but the best new thing about Guist Creek is that there is now a Starbucks open inside the Kroger in Shelbyville. A little afternoon pick-me-up isn't a bad thing when you get skunked and have to think about traffic back to Louisville. I'm not going to buy the Marina coffee that's for sure!
Perception Pescador Pro 10
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?