Username: Password: Remember me
Kentucky Kayak Fishing Forum

TOPIC: Bummer

Bummer 4 years 9 months ago #1

• Louisville, Kentucky, USA
  • Crawyakker
  • 50+ Posts!
  • 2016 YakAngler SupporterDilettante
I've been out fishing 4 different times this week in my new JK Cuda 12. The weather hasn't been too bad and I was itching bad to get on my new yak and try some new camera shots. I may have learned some about getting the best shot I can but I DIDN'T CATCH A THING! In fact I only even SAW one fish. I know the weather patterns this winter have been crazy but I've never been skunked so bad. Anyone else around here have any no-fish trips lately?
Ascend D10
2016 Jackson Cuda 12
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Bummer 4 years 9 months ago #2

• kwood
  • 10+ Posts!
When the water temp gets below 48 degrees I'm done just for that reason. Temp has to be in the low 40's I would guess.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Re:Bummer 4 years 9 months ago #3

• London, KY
  • KYYak
  • 250+ Posts!
  • Ambassador Medal2015 YakAngler SupporterReviewer
yeah, I'm pretty much done for the season around here. Saw a few people have been out on Cedar Creek and still catching some nice large mouth but I'm sure it's still crazy slow.
2015 Jackson Cuda 12 - Sexy Shad

-Chris

Bummer 4 years 9 months ago #4

• BrownBear
  • 250+ Posts!
We had a little of that here on our visit to Florida. Started off with air temps unusually high, running in the high 80's daytime and mid-70's overnight. Lots of cooperative fish, and we could do no wrong.

Then the air temps dropped back to normal, 10-15 degrees lower day and night with a corresponding drop in water temps, though I don't know what those were.

In any case, we went a couple of days without a fish, but kept at it. They'd reshuffled to new locations, and it just took a few days to find them, with both changes in locations and how we were fishing. Back on them, but it took a few days to figure out how they had adjusted for the temperature change.

I'd keep at it on your waters and experiment with location and technique. Even at lower temps the fish gotta feed now and then.
"Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
Merle Haggard

Bummer 4 years 9 months ago #5

• YakSushi
  • 5K+ Posts!
  • Presidents Day Boondoggle 2016Presidents Day Boondoggle 2015Columbus Day Boondoggle 2015 Columbus Day Boondoggle 2014 Presidents Day Boondoggle 2014Columbus Day Boondoggle 2013Boondoggle Website SupporterPresidents Day Boondoggle 2013AuthorColumbus Day Boondoggle 2012 Presidents Day Boondoggle 2012Presidents Day Boondoggle Jax 2011FoundersTrailblazerCriticGreen Skull
If it makes you feel any better I have not had a chance to even get out onto the water in over 2 months! :(

Bummer 4 years 9 months ago #6

• Eastern Tennessee
  • Dmax
  • 50+ Posts!
I've been having the same problem here in NE Tenn. The weather is messing everything up. Gonna try again today!!
'15 Jackson Cuda 14

Re:Bummer 4 years 9 months ago #7

• kwood
  • 10+ Posts!
Hard to paddle on the ice.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Bummer 4 years 9 months ago #8

• Ridgecrest, California, USA
  • Kayak_angler
  • 1250+ Posts!
  • 2015 YakAngler Supporter2014 YakAngler Supporter Columbus Day Boondoggle 2014 Ambassador MedalTravelerReviewer
I guess I can say this is the one time of year I'm glad I don't live in KY anymore. Our weather has been crazy here in southern CA this winter with several winter storms but we have had several perfect days for fishing, unfortunately I haven't had the chance to get out on the water due to work and basketball. :( Hopefully I will get a chance to get out on the lake this weekend with it being a 4 day weekend for us.
Save the earth. It's the only planet with kayaks, fish & chocolate!!!

2015 Jackson Coosa HD

Bummer 4 years 9 months ago #9

• Crawyakker
  • 50+ Posts!
  • 2016 YakAngler SupporterDilettante
No Boss(YakSushi) that does not make me feel better. Go Dmax! Where in East TN? I grew up in Knoxville.
In the past the winter months have been really productive for me. The temp never really bothers me as long as there is little to no wind I'll get out on the water when I can. I understand how to change the technique and that all the same fish eating during the summer have to eat through the winter too. Many of my biggest fish were caught in the cold including my PB.
Ascend D10
2016 Jackson Cuda 12
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?