Kayak Fishing Ultimate Resource

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Kayak $1300

Kayak $1300 3 years 1 month ago #1

I want to start fishing kayak, and I can only spend $1500.

Interested:- Vibe Kayaks Sea Ghost 130 Fishing Kayak

Any recommendations and personal experiences would be welcome.

Thanks for any input!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Kayak $1300 3 years 1 month ago #2

• steve49
  • -10 Posts!
I was not sure if I would like it or not so I started with an inexpensive Sundolphin Journey 10ss. I soon discovered I really enjoy it, and although I have it all set up with everything I need with fishfinder, MinnKota motor for big lakes, milk crate and other little stuff. Being I dislike to get soaking wet I put stabilizers on each side, and made it very stable to stand on, the stabilizer also has the mount for the motor. Now that I have it all modded out I imagine I will keep what I have. I know I am under $800. with everything and that really pleases my wife, but then I spend it on fishing gear.

Kayak $1300 3 years 1 month ago #3

• , ,
  • krash
  • 500+ Posts!
  • Ambassador Medal
I started with a $20.00 local neighbirhood garage sale kayak, an 11' SitOnTop Renegade that includes a cheap plastic paddle and one of them orange PFD's... it worked and got me fishing.
Like the previous poster I got wet and it did not paddle well, but it worked. Since then I've upgraded a few times, every time with a used something.

Today I have a kevlar solo canoe, an SUP, a fiberglass SOT kayak, and a Native Ultimate that could arguably be called a canoe or a kayak, all rigged and ready at a moments notice for fishing. I also have an assortment of paddles.
My rigging I like the KISS theory, simple and quick. I have a crate and also a 30qt cooler, rigged alike.. couple rod holders mounted on the outside, and inside all my stuff for a day of fishing. For tackle I have several single layer plano/flambeau plastic boxes with different stuff, one holds leader material, a small knife, pair of scissors for leader rigging, the others have a days worth of tackle with select soft plastics, lures, and hook needed for the targeted species and area I jut grab the one I want and go. I added that cooler to my toosl when I got teh SUP as it is used as a drybox and also a seat or standing platform.

I can load and unload in 10 or 15 minutes.. to/from the car to water, 1 trip with the canoe/kayak, another with the crate or cooler, 2 rods, and paddle.

Now for your adventures $1500.00 is a lot of cash if you shop used, but to make any suggestion on specific kayaks we would all need ot know more about where you are, your size H/W & physical condition, type of fishing river/lake/inshore/ocean and targeted species.
I always suggest to new-comers go to some of the area's you want to fish, look at what people are using, stop and talk to them when they are coming back in and see what they say. Most paddler persons are pretty friendly, but don;t always like to be interrupted on their way out for a day of fishing, but on the way in are more likely to talk with ya.
Don't fall for sales pitches, most outfitters and sales people will slant their answer towards what they sell and what is in stock.

There are many good fishing kayaks out there and really no one kayak that is the perfect solution.

Kayak $1300 2 years 11 months ago #4

• Barnwell, SC
  • brianowens16
  • 10+ Posts!
I too have the Sundolphin 10 SS and love it. One day I will go larger, but for now the budget is happy...which makes the wife happy. :lmao:

Kayak $1300 1 year 9 months ago #5

Spending some big bucks on a kayak needs some intensive research. And I can understand it is a pretty confusing and complicated task to get on with. But I did my work for you. So please check out:

Best Fishing Kayaks Under 1000 Dollars
Best Fishing Kayak Under 500
gearsforfishing.com/best-fishing-kayaks-under-1000-dollars/
gearsforfishing.com/best-fishing-kayak-under-500/
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?