Kayak Fishing Ultimate Resource

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Post Summer Fishing

Post Summer Fishing 5 years 4 weeks ago #1

• Russellville, arkansas
  • aeds151
  • 250+ Posts!
With summer on the way out, im curious about fishing in the fall and winter. It doesnt sound like it gets too cold here in Northwest Arkansas. I live near Lake Dardanelle and am wondering if the fishing just turns off for a few months. I plan on a few trips to the Little Red River for some trout on a fly but I think its still too cold to camp and too far for a day trip. Any thoughts on colder month bass fishing? With a short rifle deer season and what sounds like too crowded duck spots, Im afraid I might get bored this winter.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Post Summer Fishing 5 years 4 weeks ago #2

• Neenah, Wisconsin, USA
  • smj190
  • MOD Squad
  • Columbus Day Boondoggle 2015 YakAngler Pro Team2015 YakAngler SupporterAuthorColumbus Day Boondoggle 20132014 YakAngler Supporter Boondoggle Website SupporterYakAngler Mod2013 YakAngler Supporter TravelerAficionadoGreen SkullNovice YakAngler
Mod Note:Topic moved to Arkansas forum
Tight Lines and Smooth Paddling!

Post Summer Fishing 5 years 6 days ago #3

• , ,
  • flyguy
  • 50+ Posts!
I live in the Mountain Home area which is located just a few miles of Lake Norfork and Bull Shoals lake. I fish both of the lakes through out the fall and winter from my kayak. Even do some duck hunting on the lakes from them.

The late fall and winter fishing can be really good. It is well worth a try -- just keep the cold air and water temperatures in mind and plan for what might happen if you take an unexpected swim.

Consider fishing the white and/or norfork rivers for trout. The fishing is every bit as good (perhaps better) than the little red and there are lots of comfortable, low cost lodging options in the Mountain Home area.

Post Summer Fishing 4 years 11 months ago #4

• Texas, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri
  • Ranger393
  • 250+ Posts!
  • Ambassador Medal2016 YakAngler Supporter2015 YakAngler SupporterDilettante
flyguy wrote:
I live in the Mountain Home area which is located just a few miles of Lake Norfork and Bull Shoals lake. I fish both of the lakes through out the fall and winter from my kayak. Even do some duck hunting on the lakes from them.

The late fall and winter fishing can be really good. It is well worth a try -- just keep the cold air and water temperatures in mind and plan for what might happen if you take an unexpected swim.

Consider fishing the white and/or norfork rivers for trout. The fishing is every bit as good (perhaps better) than the little red and there are lots of comfortable, low cost lodging options in the Mountain Home area.

I know that this question was asked over a month ago but thought I would put in my 2 cents just in case you are still looking for some winter fishing help.

First of all, +1 to everything flyguy said. He's right on target.

The White River below Bull Shoals Dam is awesome in December and January. That's my favorite time of year to trout fish in Arkansas.

Also, keep in mind that the winter months are really good for crappie as well. Try Lakes like Greers Ferry and Beaver as well as the Arkansas River.
Ranger393
Jackson Cuda 14

jacksonkayak.com/

Post Summer Fishing 2 years 8 months ago #5

• editzler
  • -10 Posts!
If you haven't been to the south east part of the state yet, you may want to give that a shot. There are lots of great places to fish down here. The white river refuge is 160,000 acres of public land with lots of boat access, not to mention the lower arkansas river, and the multitude of bayous. I lived in Little Rock for about 12 years before I considered going to the delta, and I really was missing out!
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?