Username: Password: Remember me
Alabama Kayak Fishing Forum

TOPIC: Surf fishing Gulf Shores help

Surf fishing Gulf Shores help 6 years 4 months ago #1

• walton, Kentucky, United States
  • inrll
  • 500+ Posts!
  • Ambassador Medal
I'm heading down to Gulf Shores in a couple of weeks with my wife and kids as well as my parents, sister and niece. In order not to turn this vacation into a "fishing vacation", which I could easily see myself doing, I'm leaving the kayak at home.
My question for any of you saltwater guys/gals out there is what would be a good approach to surf fishing that will bring in good numbers of fish for the kids to enjoy reeling in? It doesn't matter if they are big or small, game fish or rough fish, just something that they could enjoy.
Thanks in advance for any advice!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Surf fishing Gulf Shores help 6 years 4 months ago #2

• Murfreesboro, Tennessee, USA
  • Westwindmike
  • 50+ Posts!
  • Ambassador Medal
I have heard that the Bubble Rig or Straw Rig is good for surf fishing in the Gulf. Check out this link.
Destin Fishing

Wilderness Ride 115 (Knot Right Reaper)
Perception Sport Pescador 12
Last Edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Westwindmike.

Surf fishing Gulf Shores help 6 years 4 months ago #3

• inrll
  • 500+ Posts!
  • Ambassador Medal
Thanks Westwindmike. It amazes me that anything would hit such a contraption but after researching it looks like they are a pretty hot lure. One guy even described them as Spanish Mackerel crack.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Westwindmike

Surf fishing Gulf Shores help 6 years 4 months ago #4

• Crystal River, FL
  • Bgen
  • 50+ Posts!
  • Ambassador MedalSeeker
What size Rods are you taking with you, and what part of Gulf Shores are you planning on fishing?

Surf fishing Gulf Shores help 6 years 4 months ago #5

• inrll
  • 500+ Posts!
  • Ambassador Medal
I'm just bringing my 7.5 foot medium heavy with a 4000 size spinning reel. I guess I could bring a bass rod or two if they would be appropriate for anything. I plan to fish from the beach so I can still technically be "with" my family. I may rent a kayak one day down there and fish close to shore, maybe troll a crankbait or jerkbait out on the backside of the second sandbar? Any advice about surf or kayak fishing would be awesome Bgen.

Surf fishing Gulf Shores help 6 years 4 months ago #6

• Crystal River, FL
  • Bgen
  • 50+ Posts!
  • Ambassador MedalSeeker
I am assuming your talking about Gulf Shores Al..... with that said here is a little what i know from living in the Area for 10 years.

That rod and reel should be fine. My only concern would be getting your bait past the breakers. The bubble rig mentioned above does work well however needs more of a calmer water to work properly. The other option if your keen on going for spanish is a Gotcha lure. Basically you just want to cast it out as far as you can and reel it in pretty fast jerking it. Spanish are fast moving predators. You'll want to use steel leader if your going after them. They'll bite your line in a second if using mono or braid. Even when i used the bubble rig i would use 7 strand instead of the mono leader. Another option to try is Live shrimp from a bait shop. Everything will eat that. But you will catch a lot of Salt Cats also. Not good eats in my opinion and more of a pest then anything. But still fun for the kids. DO NOT allow the kids to Dehook them though. There Fins have spikes on them and if you manage to get stuck, it hurts like a dang wasp. In some cases needing medical attention as not to get infected. Another great fish to catch for the kids are pin fish, the kids get to reel something in and you get some free bait :up: . You could Expect to catch some reds and even specks with them. One of my favorites to use when i lived in Pensacola Fl. (about 30-40 mins from Gulf Shores Al) was Bull minnow. It takes alot for them to die. So you'll be able to keep more fresh and they will last on the line longer. As for the Kayak i never really did much offshore, just inshore flats and such. But if you manage to rent a yak and get to some inshore fishing. Top waters should be real good right now for specks and reds and through out the day i would use Gulp Alive Shrimp and Jerkshads in the New Penny color. Like i said i am not to familiar with fishing offshore or in your case past the second bar, but i am sure someone else here is and can help with that. A site to check is www.pensacolafishingforum.com/ they typically have good fishing reports on what is biting and what there using to catch the fish.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Crappie yaker

Surf fishing Gulf Shores help 6 years 4 months ago #7

• Noblesville, Indiana, USA
  • Crappie yaker
  • 50+ Posts!
Perfectly timed post. I just got on here to post something similar. I'm in the same boat as you, heading down at the end of next month for a family vacation. Have fun and good luck fishing! Please report back after the trip.

Surf fishing Gulf Shores help 6 years 4 months ago #8

• Central Missouri
  • working4wknd
  • 50+ Posts!
  • 2015 YakAngler Supporter
You can also fish by the Perdido Pass bridge, and off the Orange Beach pier. The best thing to do is go deep sea fishing with Zekes ( www.zekeslanding.com/index.cfm/charter-fleet/zekes-lady/ ) :up: !!

Surf fishing Gulf Shores help 6 years 4 months ago #9

• ,St Augustine, FL
  • Minorcan
  • 500+ Posts!
  • Ambassador MedalSeekerAficionado
Another idea is fishing for Croakers. They are close in to shore in the wave zone and once you get in a school you can catch lots of them. They are great fun for kids especially as the catch rate stays pretty high. They are hitting well on the Northeast Florida coast now on cut dead shrimp and I expect they may be doing the same in the Northern Gulf area as well. You can use medium weight and shorter rods and simple rigs with dead cut shrimp for bait.

Here is a linky for you; Croaker fishing

Just another idea. Call a local bait shop to see what's in when you plan on being there.
Rob, :fishing:
Enjoy the fight
Keep what you can eat
Release the rest

Saint Augustine, FL
Ride 115
Last Edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Minorcan.

Surf fishing Gulf Shores help 6 years 3 months ago #10

• Silverhill, Alabama, USA
  • basscatlildave
  • MOD Squad
  • YakAngler Mod2015 YakAngler Supporter2016 YakAngler Supporter2014 YakAngler Supporter Ambassador MedalPhotographerTravelerReviewerGreen Skull
I have a good buddy thai I can put you in touch with that inshore guides down here and does an awesome job on Reds and Specks.
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?