Kayak Fishing Ultimate Resource

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Kids Corner

TOPIC: Son Wins First Tournament

Son Wins First Tournament 3 years 7 months ago #1

• BratsNMustard
  • 50+ Posts!
This picture is my 19 year old, when he was 9. In the photo he is holding up a couple of the crappies he caught to win the first tournament he ever entered. 30 kids between 5 and 16 years old, and he came out on top with a dozen of these nice specks. The following summer he and I entered a bass tournament on one of the local lakes. This wasn't a kayak tournament, but that is what we fish out of, so that is what we entered in. Now this might sound like a fish tale, from the Redneck Polock that I am, but he and I brought our five fish limit to the weigh in and beat more than a dozen teams in bass boats of all shapes and sizes.It was kind of funny when we arrived at the take off because a few of the "serious" tournament guys were kind of talking us down and wondering why we were in it. A couple of the guys that had known my son and I for a few years suggested that they might just hold their comments until the weigh in. It was so cool that my 10 year old son was on, and matching me fish for fish. We fished tournaments for a few years after that, and I could pretty much count on him to put fish in the boat. These days, we don't fish tournaments, but I can rely on him to put some fresh fillets in the freezer whenever we get the hankering for a fish fry.

wigginslakecrappiesapril222007003.JPG
It's not the kill that makes the hunt
It's the hunt that makes the kill
Follow me on YouTube at:
www.youtube.com/user/bratsnmustard
Last Edit: 3 years 7 months ago by BratsNMustard.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Son Wins First Tournament 3 years 7 months ago #2

• Ridgecrest, California, USA
  • Kayak_angler
  • 1250+ Posts!
  • NOW ONLINE
  • 2015 YakAngler Supporter2014 YakAngler Supporter Ambassador MedalColumbus Day Boondoggle 2014 TravelerReviewer
That is a great story and it always great to see the kids get involved in fishing and when they win a tournament it motivates them get out and fish even more. For some reason, the bass boat fishermen think we can't catch fish out of our yaks even though we use the same baits and skills they do. The only difference between the yak anglers and bass boat anglers is they can get places quicker, but we can get to the difficult and best fishing spots on the water when they can't. :cheer:
Save the earth. It's the only planet with kayaks, fish & chocolate!!!

2015 Jackson Coosa HD

Son Wins First Tournament 3 years 7 months ago #3

• BratsNMustard
  • 50+ Posts!
Kayak_angler wrote:
The only difference between the yak anglers and bass boat anglers is they can get places quicker, but we can get to the difficult and best fishing spots on the water when they can't. :cheer:

So true. Many of them think that because I choose to paddle, and use absolutely no electronics of any kind, that they have a huge advantage. I was taught very early on by my grandfather that it is not about all the equipement you have to use, it's about how you use the equipment you have. A barebones fisherman like myself, with thorough knowledge of the waters a person intends to fish, and the fish that they are persuing, will often put more fish in the boat than a high tech bass boat controlled by someone who doesn't know the lake or the fish. Not always, but often. Good luck, be safe, and happy fishing.
It's not the kill that makes the hunt
It's the hunt that makes the kill
Follow me on YouTube at:
www.youtube.com/user/bratsnmustard

Son Wins First Tournament 3 years 7 months ago #4

• Texas, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri
  • Ranger393
  • 250+ Posts!
  • Ambassador Medal2016 YakAngler Supporter2015 YakAngler SupporterDilettante
Good lessons to be learned here by all. I fished out of those super expensive bass boats for years and not once did the boat catch a fish for me. Now I still love bass boats and there are some of the best folks in the world who fish those tournaments. Unfortunately it's easy to get caught up in the "I'm better than you because my fishing equipment is newer and more expensive than yours". It's just dumb but it happens all the time.

That's one of the many things that I really enjoy about the folks here. It really doesn't matter if your yak cost 4k or $40 from a garage sale. If your fishing and enjoying it then that is what it's all about.

Enjoyed the post about you and your son. It's certainly been said here before but it is worthy of being mentioned again and again, the combo of family and fishing is super special.
Ranger393
Jackson Cuda 14

jacksonkayak.com/

Son Wins First Tournament 1 year 9 months ago #5

• sophiagrace77
  • Banned
This is really a great starting for your son. He is winner of fishing tournament :) He will become a good fisherman.
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?