Username: Password: Remember me
Kids Corner
  • Page:

TOPIC: What age to take them fishing?

What age to take them fishing? 4 years 3 months ago #1

• Glennville, Georgia, USA
  • joedoozer
  • 500+ Posts!
  • Columbus Day Boondoggle 2014 Presidents Day Boondoggle 2014Columbus Day Boondoggle 2013Ambassador Medal2013 YakAngler Supporter Traveler
My kids turned 2 this past December. I was hoping this fall we can hit a local pond for some bobber/panfish fishing. I realize they won't be focused, running around playing. Is almost 3 years old still too early to take them fishing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Whoooaa man! FISH ON!!!!! Woooohooo, this thing is big............................................nevermind I'm hung up.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What age to take them fishing? 4 years 3 months ago #2

• Shelbyville, KY
  • AGRBass
  • 50+ Posts!
I have 2 boys. One is 8 and the other is 3. Both of them starting going with me in strollers. Lol. If the fish are biting, it keeps their attention. Best advice is to go in an open area so you can keep an eye on them while they are running around. You catch a fish and they will come running to see it. I had my youngest in the yak at 2 year old. Make the trips short and take other things to keep them occupied if the fish aren't biting. The key is just getting them out there.
image_2015-05-30.jpg

image_2015-05-30-2.jpg

What age to take them fishing? 4 years 3 months ago #3

• Ridgecrest, California, USA
  • Kayak_angler
  • 1250+ Posts!
  • 2015 YakAngler Supporter2014 YakAngler Supporter Ambassador MedalColumbus Day Boondoggle 2014 TravelerReviewer
I took my daughter fishing for the first time when she was 4 and she was ok for about 20 minutes or so.
Save the earth. It's the only planet with kayaks, fish & chocolate!!!

2015 Jackson Coosa HD

Re:What age to take them fishing? 4 years 3 months ago #4

• Koldaar
  • 10+ Posts!
  • Reviewer
Took my 4 year old out a few weeks back. Worm on a bobber. He landed himself a 16" largemouth. He was pretty excited, but to scared to hold it. :) He's still talking about that fish.

Re:What age to take them fishing? 4 years 3 months ago #5

• joedoozer
  • 500+ Posts!
  • Columbus Day Boondoggle 2014 Presidents Day Boondoggle 2014Columbus Day Boondoggle 2013Ambassador Medal2013 YakAngler Supporter Traveler
Haha. Yeah my son would be too scared to hold a fish. He freaks out at everything right now haha n

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Whoooaa man! FISH ON!!!!! Woooohooo, this thing is big............................................nevermind I'm hung up.

Re:What age to take them fishing? 4 years 3 months ago #6

• KevinCostello
  • 250+ Posts!
  • 2016 YakAngler SupporterAmbassador MedalLifetime YakAngler Supporter2014 YakAngler Supporter 2015 YakAngler SupporterTravelerAficionado
I started taking my daughter bank fishing when she was 2. We always went to a location that had plenty of panfish to catch with night crawlers and also had a playground to entertain her when the fish weren't.

I took her kayak fishing when she was 3. Went out on a localstormwater management pond that has a large population of bass, crappie and bluegills. A dozen crawlers lasted us for a good two hours.
Jackson Kayak Coosa HD
Jackson Kayak Kilroy DT

Shanks Mare Fishing Team
shanksmare.com/
Werner Paddles Fishing Ambassador
www.wernerpaddles.com/
Kayak Anglers
www.kayak-anglers.com

What age to take them fishing? 4 years 3 months ago #7

• Silverhill, Alabama, USA
  • basscatlildave
  • MOD Squad
  • YakAngler Mod2015 YakAngler Supporter2016 YakAngler Supporter2014 YakAngler Supporter Ambassador MedalPhotographerTravelerReviewerGreen Skull
I always started the summer after the turned two. Always remember to keep it fun. Sometimes it don't take but 20 to 30 minutes for them to have enough. oh what great times.

232323232fp53668_nu3272_446_446_WSNRCG32_277887432_nu0mrj1.jpg
Last Edit: 4 years 3 months ago by basscatlildave.

What age to take them fishing? 4 years 3 months ago #8

• Charleston, SC
  • robmiller
  • 50+ Posts!
  • Columbus Day Boondoggle 2014
I have taken my oldest son (7) on my kayak with me fishing and he lasts for a few hours. My younger kids (1,2 and 5) I have taken fishing on the pier with me and they do pretty well as long I take snacks, drinks and keep plenty of live bait in the bucket for them to try and catch with their hands :up: A few years ago I took my oldest son, he was maybe 3, and I had him using one of my smaller spinning reels and I told him to reel it in so we could re cast. I didn't pay real close attention to him reeling but noticed it was taking him a long time to bring the bait in. Looked down and he had turned off the anti-reverse and was spinning it backwards and he had the biggest birds nest I have ever seen. I still laugh about. So long story short, more snacks, more time on the water.
Wilderness Systems Ride 135

What age to take them fishing? 4 years 3 months ago #9

• PChitti
  • 10+ Posts!
Same advice as the rest. With the kids I choose places that are open and ha e distractions for them. I can keep my daughter(8), out with me almost all day on the river. the sand keeps her happy for most of the time.

What age to take them fishing? 3 years 7 months ago #10

• joedoozer
  • 500+ Posts!
I guess never posted his first fish to this thread. A buddy of mine has a small 2 acre spring fed pond. Lots of panfish and bass in it. The weather was nice one morning and we decided to take the kids out in the kayaks. We put their pool floaty vests on them and put them in our laps. I knew they wouldn't stay interested long, and I wanted to keep it as simple as possible. So I tied up some sinking ant/bug looking flies and tied them under a bobber. I didn't want to mess with crickets or anything like that. I made a cast to see if the fish would even bite. And the bobber started bouncing, I showed him and reared it in to make another cast. The bobber immediately started bouncing again, and he said "dad look, bobber". So I figured he knew what was up. So I made a third cast and handed him the rod. He immediately started cranking it in, i said "hey you gotta wait until the ...........whoa keep cranking you got a fish". He reeled it all the way back to the yak by himself and held the fish. I was pretty proud!
Attachments:
  • Page:
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?