Username: Password: Remember me
Kayak Fly Fishing Forum
  • Page:

TOPIC: Knots

Knots 8 years 4 months ago #1

• Louisville, Kentucky, United States
  • adam
  • 1250+ Posts!
  • Columbus Day Boondoggle 2015 Columbus Day Boondoggle 2014 Presidents Day Boondoggle 2014Columbus Day Boondoggle 2013Boondoggle Website SupporterPresidents Day Boondoggle 2013Columbus Day Boondoggle 2012 Presidents Day Boondoggle 2012FoundersSeekerDilettanteGreen Skull
Being that I am new to fly fishing I was looking for which knots that I should use to connect the leader to the fly line and so forth. I found these which I thought were pretty helpful.

Backing to Fly Line:
Albright Knot or Nail Knot

Fly Line to Braided Leader:
Loop-to-Loop Connection

Fly Line to Leader:
Nail Knot

Fly Line to Permanent Mono Loop:
Nail Knot a 6″-8″ monofilament butt section, then Loop-to-Loop Connection using Perfection Loop or Surgeon's Loop

Braided Leader Butt to Tippet:
Loop-to-Loop Connection using Perfection Loop on tippet or Surgeon’s Loop on tippet

Hand-Tied Leader:
Barrel Knots or Surgeon’s Knots

Leader to Tippet:
Surgeon’s Knot or Barrel Knot

Tippet to Fly:
(a) Clinch Knot
(b) killroys.com/knots/duncan-loop-or-uni-knot/
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Irish Fly, daiwanut

Re: Knots 8 years 4 months ago #2

• Lexington, Kentucky
  • slamdunc
  • 50+ Posts!
  • 2010 YakAngler Supporter2011 YakAngler Supporter
Adam,
Thanks for posting the fly fishing knots, I love learning how to tie new knots.

Re: Knots 8 years 1 month ago #3

• Brownstown, Michigan
  • FinnHunter
  • 10+ Posts!
Im kinda new to fly fishing myself, mainly just tie flies for the fun of it. But, I have found the "loop to loop" works best for me. I do a lot of King Salmon fishing in the fall and snag underwater trees and rocks, so my leader breaks all the time. I can generally change my leader in 30 seconds this way. I tend to use mono for leader material as I have found it cheaper and the taper isn't very important for the Kings. Sorry for the late response but am enjoying the reading of all the old post!

Re: Knots 8 years 1 month ago #4

• Sarasota, Florida, United States
  • shallow pockets
  • 250+ Posts!
  • Presidents Day Boondoggle 2013Ambassador MedalYakAngler Guide
I'm a fan of the loop to loop connection. If done right it will not effect your cast.

Re: Knots 7 years 1 week ago #5

• Knoxville, Tennessee, USA
  • 59Bassman
  • 250+ Posts!
  • Ambassador Medal2013 YakAngler Supporter 2012 YakAngler Supporter Seeker
I use an Albright knot to tie the backing to the spool, a LOOOOONG Spider Hitch to create a loop-to-loop connection for backing to fly line (allows quick changes of the fly line, and creates some shock absorption getting the backing through the guides). For my leader, I use Perfection loops at both ends (line and tippet), and blood knots to tie different sections of leader together. The tippet to fly is a clinch knot for the majority of my fishing, but I will also occasionally use a surgeon's loop to the fly.

Re: Knots 7 years 1 week ago #6

• Charleston, South Carolina, USA
  • DDOlson
  • 2K+ Posts!
  • 2016 YakAngler SupporterPresidents Day Boondoggle 20162016 YakAngler SupporterPresidents Day Boondoggle 2015Columbus Day Boondoggle 2015 2015 YakAngler SupporterColumbus Day Boondoggle 2014 Presidents Day Boondoggle 2014Columbus Day Boondoggle 20132014 YakAngler Supporter PhotographerBoondoggle Website SupporterAuthorPresidents Day Boondoggle 20132013 YakAngler Supporter YakAngler Pro TeamColumbus Day Boondoggle 2012 Presidents Day Boondoggle 20122012 YakAngler Supporter Columbus Day Boondoggle 20112010 YakAngler Supporter2011 YakAngler SupporterAficionadoGreen SkullSavant YakAngler
Leader to Fly Line prefer the loop to loop but use to use the Nail Knot.

Simple Cinch Knot to attach the fly.

Re: Knots 7 years 1 week ago #7

• soccerdad
  • 500+ Posts!
  • 2013 YakAngler Supporter Ambassador MedalPresidents Day Boondoggle 20122010 YakAngler Supporter2011 YakAngler Supporter2012 YakAngler Supporter
there is a fantastic tool for tying nail knots called a Tie Fast

especially good when the warranty on your eyes has expired

www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=28tr

you tube --
Last Edit: 7 years 1 week ago by soccerdad.

Knots 6 years 10 months ago #8

• Sterling Hgts, Michigan, USA
  • imnohero
  • 250+ Posts!
  • Ambassador MedalTraveler
Really nice posting. Thanks

Knots 6 years 5 months ago #9

• Knoxville, Tennessee, USA
  • 59Bassman
  • 250+ Posts!
  • Ambassador Medal2013 YakAngler Supporter 2012 YakAngler Supporter Seeker
In my fly fishing, I'm continually using a few basic knots.

As mentioned above, the clinch knot is the "default" knot for tying most flies to the tippet. It works well in a lot of conditions. However, there may be times when the clinch knot isn't quite right - such as when you want to impart a lot of movement in the fly. For this, I use a Surgeon's Loop, with the fly passed through the loop twice. This allows the fly to move a bit more independently of the fly. The downside is that this uses a LOT of tippet material - you will go through tippet quickly. Flies I use this with are typically streamers for larger fish, such as Clousers.

I also use the blood knot a lot to build leader sections. I typically build my own leaders, starting with 30lb mono for saltwater and bass, 20lb mono for trout. I'll use decreasing sizes to get to my final tippet, mostly connected with blood knots.

The last knot that I tie frequently is the Perfection Loop. This is THE knot for making loop-to-loop connections in your leaders and tippet (NOT your fly line!!!!). The Perfection is pretty quick to tie, uses less material than a Surgeon's loop, and the loop ends up being perfectly in line with the original line - not off to the side like the Surgeon's. For bass and Saltwater, I typically tie a Perfection at the butt of my leader to attach to the fly line, and another at the end of my leader to attach to my tippet. This allows me to change tippets quickly - which is important if you're using a surgeon's loop for your flies. My 3' tippet sections will only last about 6 flies before I'm retying another section.

Here's a link to the Perfection Loop and a "finished" pic:

Knots 5 years 11 months ago #10

• Daphne, Alabama, USA
  • IcastInaYak
  • 10+ Posts!
  • 2013 YakAngler Supporter TravelerCrack YakAngler
Below, is a great site if you haven't seen it. Will show you how to tie just about any knot.

I use just a few knots that rarely fail me (except when I fail to tie it correctly). In the saltwater, I want maximum distance and so I feel that the nail knot is best for fly line to leader. I also don't want bulky connection to get caught up in the guides with a heavier fish on. The nail knot is a lower profile connection than loop to loop. For freshwater, I do use loop to loop from line to leader.

Triple Surgeon's knot is what I use from Leader to Tippet, no matter salt or freshwater. I have been questioned on this knot for saltwater, but have honestly never lost a fish due to a triple surgeon's knot in salt or freshwater. When I lose a fish or two, I'll consider changing. It's a quick tie and I'm confident with it.

I use a lot of Rapala knots anytime I'm tying on a popper or subsurface meat fly. For nymphs and dry flies I use an improved clinch knot on the business end. When tying on a dropper, from say a Hopper down to a nymph, I thread the dropper tippet through the eye of the Hopper hook. I think threading the tippet through the eye gives the Hopper a better chance to have subtle movements or in case of a mayfly a more natural drift, compared to securing it to the bend of hook. I also don't like having a tippet anywhere near the barb of the hook. So, for me the tippet goes through the eye.

Check out Animated Knots website:
www.animatedknots.com/indexfishing.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: adam
  • Page:
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?