Username: Password: Remember me
Kayak Fly Fishing Forum

TOPIC: Barbless Hooks for Saltwater

Barbless Hooks for Saltwater 7 months 1 week ago #1

• Bozeman, Montana
  • mikemac1
  • 10+ Posts!
  • TravelerDilettante
Using barbless hooks for your flies in freshwater is a no-brainer. The barbless products on the market today are great and more hook models are showing up all the time. My favorite is now the Firehole Stick line from Firehole Outdoors in Bozeman, Montana. They've probably got the best barbless streamer hooks on the market in the models 718, 811 and 839. The wide gap design really improves hooking and hook retention. Recently, I took a 10-day trip to the Sarasota-Tampa region where I have my Caribbean 12 Angler stashed with a relative. Since barbless (pinched down) hooks are recommended for trout and snook to protect their tender mouths, I decided to try out some saltwater patterns tied on 718s and 811s. The hooks are not designed specifically for saltwater application, but the black nickel coating held up well on the flies I used during the trip. Indeed, on trout and snook the hooks held well and were easy to remove. I didn’t wash any of the flies after use during the trip and after ten days, there was no sign of corrosion, even though several flies went to battle with big 5-7 pound Bluefish and their gnashing teeth.

So if you want to try tying your saltwater patterns on barbless hooks, you might want to give the Firehole Stick 718s and 811s a try.

This is my "Identity Complex Seatrout fly on a #1 Model 811 Firehole Stick--Go to fly for Speckled Seatrout on sinktip in deep potholes.

Here's a passel of barbless saltwater patterns all tied on either Model 718 or 811 Firehole Sticks.

The barbless models even held up well on nasty Bluefish.
Strategy without Tactics is a slow route to victory, Tactics without Strategy is the noise before defeat--Sun Tzu

2008 Native Ultimate 12 Tegris (2)
2016 Eddyline Carribean 12 Angler
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Barbless Hooks for Saltwater 7 months 6 days ago #2

• Wisconsin
  • Clay
  • 250+ Posts!
Nice ties Mike, our TU chapter fly tying night starts in less than a month and I'm looking forward to it. Glad that the barbless products are working well for you.

For some of us, those hooks not only come out of the fish easier, but they also come out of me easier too.

:woohoo:
Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not the fish that they are after. Henry David Thoreau

Barbless Hooks for Saltwater 7 months 5 days ago #3

• Apison, TN, USA
  • MontyMurdoch
  • 800+ Posts!
  • 2015 YakAngler Supporter2016 YakAngler SupporterAmbassador Medal2013 YakAngler Supporter 2014 YakAngler Supporter Presidents Day Boondoggle 2013Aficionado
Nice flies and good information.
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?