Kayak Fishing Ultimate Resource

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Kayak Fly Fishing Forum

TOPIC: Beginning Fly Fishing question

Beginning Fly Fishing question 1 year 1 month ago #1

• Birdsnest
  • 10+ Posts!
Been fishing for 30 years and never done any fly fishing. I am looking for suggestions on equipment. Mostly fishing stocked trout <20” almost certain and pan fish on small lakes and streams.

I am currently looking at a 5wt 9’ rood reel outfit. Would that be a sufficient starting rod? I am hoping to take a class at a local fly shop next month to learn the basics without as much trial and error. I might just take the class on their gear and buy a setup from them but it will be substantially more money. I will however have their brains to pick with questions.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Beginning Fly Fishing question 1 year 1 month ago #2

• Wisconsin
  • Clay
  • 250+ Posts!
You already have a very good plan. Better than most and well thought through. Last official count I have 14 different fly fishing outfits - 3 weight through 10 weight combos. Weight is subjective, not all rods with the same action number are the same. I throw a very fast 3 weight that I would put it up against many slower action 5 weights from years ago.

A slower action rod has more bend and the bend goes deeper into the blank as far as farther down the blank. A fast action rod has more backbone into more of the blank and less of the rod actually bends or bends less. Having said the above. No one plays golf with just one club ( I don't golf by the way). One rod won't do it all. Just like buying a boat: pick the type of fishing that you actually will do most often and start there. If you really think that you will be catching a lot of 20" fish, that's a rarity where I am, maybe a 6 wt is your rod or even a 7 wt. If you want a small spring creek rod to chase brook trout and bluegills / crappies a 4 weight would be a great rod wt to start.

Remember, it's not your last fly rod, it's just your next fly rod - if you like the hobby.

I was throwing a 7 wt today and of all the rods that I own, I fish a 3 wt and a 7 wt most of the time. If I could only have one rod a 5 wt will do most of what you want to do.

Have fun with your selection.
Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not the fish that they are after. Henry David Thoreau
Last Edit: 1 year 1 month ago by Clay.

Beginning Fly Fishing question 1 year 1 month ago #3

• Upstate NY
  • Stumpkiller
  • 250+ Posts!
  • 2016 YakAngler Supporter
It's a great idea to wait until after your class. You might find something you like or dislike from the gear available that hadn't occurred to you in looking around.

I have a 6wt 8' rod that is my stream standard and also works great for panfish and smallmouth with nymphs and small wooly-buggers. For larger bugs and streamers I have a 9wt 9'6" with a vintage J.W. Young Beaudex pawl-drag reel that could land about anything that swims in freshwater. Heavy for a day's casting, however.

With the 6wt I drop to a 5wt WF5F/S sinking tip line for deep work with weighted flies; like a Charlie Craven Haymaker.

The rod weight is all about the size of the fly you want to cast and not the size of the fish. 5wt is a good all-around trout rod and will also get you into some smallmouth action.

For a starting-out reel that is wonderful at the price point I can recommend The Fly Shop's M2A at $79. I have one of these and a spare spool and it is a killer deal for a freshwater reel. For what I need I stopped looking for anything "nicer". The 4/5 balances my eight foot 6wt just right with 100 yards of 20# backing.

catalog.theflyshop.com/fly-reels/?sort=featured&page=3
Charlie P.

Perception Sport Sound 12.5

Beginning Fly Fishing question 1 year 1 month ago #4

• Birdsnest
  • 10+ Posts!
Well, I made a trip to Cabela’s again this week. Third week in a row in fact. (Needed a spool of power pro one week and bought a Tilley hat I had been eyeing the other week)

They had one of their Cabela’s brand outfits on sale. There is a 9ft 5wt combo in my garage now. Comes with everything I could need for now. Some duplicates to things I already have but who couldn’t use another pair of hemostats. Had it to a local lake hoping to get a panfish or two. No luck. Turns out a novice casting into a head wind is not a great idea. I did manage to get a few 25-30 ft casts. I’m going to tie a piece of yarn or a small zip tie on and practice in the yard for a while.

I can completely see how people become obsessed with it.

Here is the combo I bought. (Hopefullly external links are acceptable)

www.cabelas.com/product/fishing/fly-fishing/fly-fishing-rod-reel-combos/pc/104793480/c/104721480/sc/105571980/cabelas-creed-outfit/2665564.uts?slotId=5

Now figuring out tippets, leaders, tapered leaders.... lol

Tight lines everyone.

Beginning Fly Fishing question 1 year 1 month ago #5

• BrownBear
  • 250+ Posts!
Birdsnest wrote:
I am hoping to take a class at a local fly shop next month to learn the basics without as much trial and error. I might just take the class on their gear and buy a setup from them but it will be substantially more money. I will however have their brains to pick with questions.

There it is in a nutshell. You might save a few $'s buying from a big box, but the guy behind the counter is more likely to help you build cheeseburgers than know much as much about fly fishing as he pretends. Take a class from the shop and get their recommendations on an outfit. You won't spend all that much more for the same gear, but you'll get to know the folks and find them as helpful as can be. Buy something online to save a few bucks, and I can almost guarantee you'll still have to go to the local shop to have them sort out any messes. Might as well start with the local shop and support a local independent business while making friends among the experts on your local waters.
"Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
Merle Haggard
Last Edit: 1 year 1 month ago by BrownBear.

Beginning Fly Fishing question 1 year 1 month ago #6

• Upstate NY
  • Stumpkiller
  • 250+ Posts!
Birdsnest wrote:
Well, I made a trip to Cabela’s again this week. Third week in a row in fact. (Needed a spool of power pro one week and bought a Tilley hat I had been eyeing the other week)
d practice in the yard for a while.

The Tilley hat is a good investment - especially when casting in windy conditions or weighted flies. Nothing like a sudden and unexpected ear piercing while out on the water. The full brim can be most welcome.
Charlie P.

Beginning Fly Fishing question 1 year 1 month ago #7

• Birdsnest
  • 10+ Posts!
The Tilley hat is a good investment - especially when casting in windy conditions or weighted flies. Nothing like a sudden and unexpected ear piercing while out on the water. The full brim can be most welcome.[/quote]

It took me about 30 min to pull the trigger on it because of the price but I would replace it very quickly if it were lost or anything. Even if I had to pay full price. Much to my wife’s dismay, I have also worn it on non-fishing outings. :)

Beginning Fly Fishing question 1 year 1 month ago #8

• Upstate NY
  • Stumpkiller
  • 250+ Posts!
I've put in a lot of miles under mine.

Now the hair under it is gray. :-(
Charlie P.

Last Edit: 1 year 1 month ago by Stumpkiller.
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?