Kayak Fishing Ultimate Resource

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Kayak Fly Fishing Forum

TOPIC: DRIFT SOCK ON KAYAK

DRIFT SOCK ON KAYAK 1 year 11 months ago #1

• LUCCMAN
  • -10 Posts!
Anyone use a drift sock for kayak fishing? Does the float end of the harness go toward the sock or the kayak.
Fist time using a drift sock for yak fishing. Think it can be great for boat control.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

DRIFT SOCK ON KAYAK 1 year 11 months ago #2

• BrownBear
  • 250+ Posts!
We use them all the time, snapped on to our anchor trolleys for positioning, float at the trolley end. We like that because if we get into something big and erratic, we just unsnap from the sock, then come back for it once the fighting is done.
"Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
Merle Haggard

DRIFT SOCK ON KAYAK 1 year 11 months ago #3

• Fort Walton Beach, Florida, USA
  • yak_n_mike
  • 800+ Posts!
  • 2016 YakAngler Supporter2015 YakAngler SupporterAmbassador MedalBoondoggle Website Supporter
I think the drift sock is underused, most would be better off controlling their drift than anchoring up. The float end goes toward the kayak, atleast on mine it does. Let us know how you like it.
Hobie Outback
Manta Ray 14 "the Crusty Frog"

DRIFT SOCK ON KAYAK 1 year 11 months ago #4

• Upstate NY
  • Stumpkiller
  • 250+ Posts!
  • 2016 YakAngler Supporter
Don't use a drogue - so far - but I have two alternatives; or three with anchoring.

I find a Baker BH-9 brush clamp to be the handiest. At the local lakes I clip that on a blow-down or snag limb and stay with the cover. I clip it on a six foot line to my anchor trolley and back it off from the bow.

In rivers I use my 3.5# grapnel anchor & chain on a short rode to just bump along the bottom and slow me a bit.

I use a sit-in so my windage is low and the wind doesn't blow me around too much. I work with it and jig & lift along the bottom if it is a windy day on the lake.
Charlie P.

Perception Sport Sound 12.5

Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?