Username: Password: Remember me
Kayak Fly Fishing Forum
  • Page:

TOPIC: Fly fishing for Carp

Fly fishing for Carp 2 years 1 month ago #1

• Neenah, Wisconsin, USA
  • smj190
  • MOD Squad
  • Columbus Day Boondoggle 2015 YakAngler Pro Team2015 YakAngler SupporterAuthorColumbus Day Boondoggle 20132014 YakAngler Supporter Boondoggle Website SupporterYakAngler Mod2013 YakAngler Supporter TravelerAficionadoGreen SkullNovice YakAngler
Well it was it wasn't out of the yak but I did catch this fun, line tugging carp today! With the water temps being cold and the majority of the state has most Fishing closed it's the perfect time to chase some carp! After doing a Facebook LIVE video walking through two kayaks for YakAngler I met up with my buddy Israel Dunn from Shoreboundhero.com. He is a great guide in Madison, WI!

IMG_7853.JPG

Photo credit: Israel Dunn
Tight Lines and Smooth Paddling!

The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: marsh_life, cigarsnjeeps

Fly fishing for Carp 2 years 1 month ago #2

• North Carolina
  • Fly2bTied
  • 1250+ Posts!
  • 2016 YakAngler SupporterAmbassador Medal2015 YakAngler Supporter
Well, if there's such a thing as a nice looking carp, that's a nice looking carp ! Great catch ! :rock:
2017 Jackson Kilroy LT

The following user(s) said Thank You: smj190

Re:Fly fishing for Carp 2 years 1 month ago #3

• hotbrass
  • 50+ Posts!
Very nice!!! I hooked up with carp on a fly rod for the first time a couple years ago. It's a blast! People don't tend to like to fish for them because they're considered a "trash fish," but they are so much fun to catch. Especially from a kayak.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Fly fishing for Carp 2 years 1 month ago #4

• Silverhill, Alabama, USA
  • basscatlildave
  • MOD Squad
  • YakAngler Mod2015 YakAngler Supporter2016 YakAngler Supporter2014 YakAngler Supporter Ambassador MedalPhotographerTravelerReviewerGreen Skull
I didn't know you can catch em on a fly rod. I'll have to agree :up:Fly2bTied wrote:
Well, if there's such a thing as a nice looking carp, that's a nice looking carp ! Great catch ! :rock:

Re:Fly fishing for Carp 2 years 1 month ago #5

• hotbrass
  • 50+ Posts!
basscatlildave wrote:
I didn't know you can catch em on a fly rod. I'll have to agree :up:Fly2bTied wrote:
Definitely can be caught on a fly rod! Check out flies like the backstabber. It's one of my very favorites. :)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
The following user(s) said Thank You: smj190, Spider1

Re:Fly fishing for Carp 2 years 1 month ago #6

• Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
  • marsh_life
  • 2K+ Posts!
  • 2016 YakAngler Supporter2015 YakAngler SupporterYakAngler Pro TeamPhotographer2014 YakAngler Supporter TravelerAficionadoGreen Skull
I've been wanting to do this. I know in other parts of the state, people usually find them in large drainage ditches/canals. Would you say that's pretty typical? Just trying to get an idea where I may go try to find some locally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re:Fly fishing for Carp 2 years 1 month ago #7

• NE Pennsylvania
  • Spider1
  • 1250+ Posts!
  • Ambassador Medal
Nice! ok, out with it... what fly did you use?

hotbrass, I did a search for that fly and came up with a great youtube video on tying it! Very cool, I'll have a few of these in the crawfish color pattern in my box this year!

Re:Fly fishing for Carp 2 years 1 month ago #8

• Southeast Nebraska
  • rwar1423
  • -10 Posts!
@smj190 Nice one! What kind of fly did it take on?

@marsh_life You probably have carp water close by you. Golf courses usually have grass carp to control aquatic plants. You're correct on the ditches & canals, but also rivers, creeks, etc. I caught the one below from Papio Creek, Southeast Nebraska, that flows into the Missouri River. The forage the carp here like are aquatic worms. During the spring, San Juan worms in shades of red work. This one took a fl pink San Juan.

The following user(s) said Thank You: smj190, marsh_life

Re:Fly fishing for Carp 2 years 1 month ago #9

• Neenah, Wisconsin, USA
  • smj190
  • MOD Squad
  • Columbus Day Boondoggle 2015 YakAngler Pro Team2015 YakAngler SupporterAuthorColumbus Day Boondoggle 20132014 YakAngler Supporter Boondoggle Website SupporterYakAngler Mod2013 YakAngler Supporter TravelerAficionadoGreen SkullNovice YakAngler
marsh_life wrote:
I've been wanting to do this. I know in other parts of the state, people usually find them in large drainage ditches/canals. Would you say that's pretty typical? Just trying to get an idea where I may go try to find some locally.

Yeah, drainage ditches, water retention ponds are popular places for them. We have them in almost all body of waters up here.

The following user(s) said Thank You: marsh_life

Re:Fly fishing for Carp 2 years 1 month ago #10

• Neenah, Wisconsin, USA
  • smj190
  • MOD Squad
Spider1 wrote:
Nice! ok, out with it... what fly did you use?

hotbrass, I did a search for that fly and came up with a great youtube video on tying it! Very cool, I'll have a few of these in the crawfish color pattern in my box this year!

Haha! Never meant to keep it a secret! It was on a carp tickler but have caught them on a San Juan worm, little crawfish patterns, and nymphs. My buddy has caught them on berry flies that he ties. The trick is to figure out what they are feeding on. It changes almost daily though....

• Page:
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?