Kayak Fishing Ultimate Resource

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Kayak Fly Fishing Forum
  • Page:

TOPIC: Help with kayak choice

Help with kayak choice 2 years 7 months ago #1

Hi All
My name is Michael and I live in Australia.
Im standing in front of a kayak choice.
I am a fly fisherman and I do fly fishing only.
Unfortuneatly Hobie PA 14 is out of question( storage,weight, necesity of a trailer and cost).
I narrow my choice to to kayaks
1) Jakson Cuda 14- fast, good tracking, lots of storage, 33kg will be easly loaded on my SUV, but I red some negative comments regarding line managment and that can easly get tangle on all the extra fetures in front of your legs. Some say that wet towel over your legs or over the fron hatch might easly solve the problem. Also red that the rod tip protectors are not so great as the rod is bending a lot while in it.
2) Native Slayer 14.5, aparently more stable, and there is a lot of flat deck in front of your legs for the line( and not many bits and peaces the line can catch on), but how Slayer compares to Cuda 14 in regards of tracking and speed?
Im not taking lots of staff on my fishing trip, so no worries about need for lots of storage, and I loke the option of the cover for the front hacht on the Slayer.

Also Im interested how many rods can you take on each kayak ( im thinking of taking 3)?

Regarding rough water, Im planing to fish estuaries and a bit of open water(salt) by the channel mouth,not talking here about big waves, but jus in case if I get cought in a bad weather- which yak gives me better options to come back safetly to the shore.

Is there a lot of price difference between those 2?

Thats all questions I can think of for now. Looking forward to your comments from your fly fishing kayak experiens.
Cheers
Michael
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Help with kayak choice 2 years 7 months ago #2

• Neenah, Wisconsin, USA
  • smj190
  • MOD Squad
  • Columbus Day Boondoggle 2015 YakAngler Pro Team2015 YakAngler SupporterAuthorColumbus Day Boondoggle 20132014 YakAngler Supporter Boondoggle Website SupporterYakAngler Mod2013 YakAngler Supporter TravelerAficionadoGreen SkullNovice YakAngler
Both yaks are great but both will snag your fly line unless you use a mat. My fly line keeps getting caught in the little hooks and straps of my cuda. My suggestion would be to look at a Jackson Cruise or when Jacksons Mayfly comes out. I'm on the Jackson prostaff just so you know.

On a different note I really like the NuCanoe Pursuit for fly fishing. Awesome platform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tight Lines and Smooth Paddling!

Help with kayak choice 2 years 7 months ago #3

• Charleston, South Carolina, USA
  • DDOlson
  • 2K+ Posts!
  • 2016 YakAngler SupporterPresidents Day Boondoggle 20162016 YakAngler SupporterPresidents Day Boondoggle 2015Columbus Day Boondoggle 2015 2015 YakAngler SupporterColumbus Day Boondoggle 2014 Presidents Day Boondoggle 2014Columbus Day Boondoggle 20132014 YakAngler Supporter PhotographerBoondoggle Website SupporterAuthorPresidents Day Boondoggle 20132013 YakAngler Supporter YakAngler Pro TeamColumbus Day Boondoggle 2012 Presidents Day Boondoggle 20122012 YakAngler Supporter Columbus Day Boondoggle 20112010 YakAngler Supporter2011 YakAngler SupporterAficionadoGreen SkullSavant YakAngler
Spence is correct about snags on the Cuda. If you are still interested in the Cuda 14 also check out the Cuda HD. A towel placed over the snag points could help or consider a stripping basket could help.

jacksonkayak.com/blog/kayak/cuda-hd/

Here is some information on the Jackson Cruise 12 that has an almost clean deck for fly fishing.

jacksonkayak.com/blog/kayak/cruise-angler-12-2/

Another option if the Jackson Kilroy for fly fishing as well. Note that the Kilroy is a sit inside kayak.

jacksonkayak.com/blog/kayak/kilroy/

Jackson is also coming out shortly with the Mayfly. This is a kayak designed for fly fishing all the way.

jacksonkayak.com/blog/kayak/mayfly/

Good luck in your search and be sure to share with us your choice.

Help with kayak choice 2 years 7 months ago #4

I decided on Cuda 14.
Those pictures shows it before I'll put my hands on it( im picking it up on the 22 of Jan) its 2013 model and the man Im buying it from put a lot of detail(which I like) to it.
He bought it early 2014 as he was diagnosed with some sicknes and out from work for 4months. Got the kayak as a project to keep his head out of the health problems and it only seen water of 5h total.
Some fly fishos here in Australia say the same thing about the wet towel so I very convince it will work.
People raving about Hobie pa , but even there line can catch on bits and peaces.
My wife will be happy as I told her that paddling will keep me fit :up:

On Monday the 23 I'll try to shoot some videos about casting from it. Im a casting freak, so this will be very exiting.
That's for now
Be in touch
Mike from Brisbane

Help with kayak choice 2 years 7 months ago #5

_20.JPG

Help with kayak choice 2 years 7 months ago #6

_201.JPG

Help with kayak choice 2 years 7 months ago #7

_202.JPG

_203.JPG

Help with kayak choice 2 years 7 months ago #8

_206.JPG

Help with kayak choice 1 year 7 months ago #9

• 1027 Gladwell Street Dallas, TX 75204
  • kathy10
  • 10+ Posts!
Michal Duzynski wrote:
I decided on Cuda 14.
Those pictures shows it before I'll put my hands on it( im picking it up on the 22 of Jan) its 2013 model and the man Im buying it from put a lot of detail(which I like) to it.
He bought it early 2014 as he was diagnosed with some sicknes and out from work for 4months. Got the kayak as a project to keep his head out of the health problems and it only seen water of 5h total.
Some fly fishos here in Australia say the same thing about the wet towel so I very convince it will work.
People raving about Hobie pa , but even there line can catch on bits and peaces.
My wife will be happy as I told her that paddling will keep me fit :up:

On Monday the 23 I'll try to shoot some videos about casting from it. Im a casting freak, so this will be very exiting.
That's for now
Be in touch
Mike from Brisbane
You are right Michael Duzynski. I agree with your opinion. My friends also use Cuda 14 kayak.. It’s conjointly my selection.
Fishing Reel

Help with kayak choice 1 year 2 months ago #10

• Ottawa,Ontario,Canada
  • Supernewf71
  • 10+ Posts!
My mayfly works pretty good for fly fishing
Attachments:
  • Page:
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?