Kayak Fishing Ultimate Resource

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Keto panfish recipe?

Keto panfish recipe? 1 month 1 day ago #1

• Wisconsin
  • Clay
  • 250+ Posts!
The wife and I have been on this Keto diet for over a year. I'm looking for a new recipe for panfish: blue gill / Crappie recipe.

If you're not familiar with Keto, no bread, no flour. We use to love bread crumbs and a beer batter deep fry with sliced potato, these days no potato either.

I can try an almond flour or coconut flour as a substitute, but someone has to have come up with something that tastes good.

People ask: don't you miss potatoes or bread or a candy bar. My answer is that I don't miss the weight that I lost and I am not going to gain those pounds back so - no I don't miss those things.

Any shoves in the right direction will be appreciated. Came home tonight with another batch of panfish for the table.

I can always just salt and pepper and fry in butter (fat is good in keto) but would love something that tastes like it's breaded - WITHOUT the bread.
Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not the fish that they are after. Henry David Thoreau
Last Edit: 1 month 1 day ago by Clay.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Keto panfish recipe? 1 month 14 hours ago #2

• Wisconsin
  • Clay
  • 250+ Posts!
I hate to answer my own question, but with a little searching on the web:

screwedonstraight.net/low-carb-southern-fish-fry/

screwedonstraight.net/3-2-1-keto-breading/

The wife and I both said that we would add some garlic and onion powder along with some salt and pepper to the coating, maybe even some cayenne.

I just put this here for anyone else looking for a low carb type fish batter / coating.

Enjoy.
Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not the fish that they are after. Henry David Thoreau

Keto panfish recipe? 4 weeks 2 days ago #3

• Upstate NY
  • Stumpkiller
  • 250+ Posts!
  • 2016 YakAngler Supporter
One of my favorite eats is when we get a bunch of yellow perch, fillet them and then take three or four further sections off each fillet. THE ADMIRAL steams them, chills them on ice. Then we dip them in cocktail sauce (I grind my own horseradish) and serve with a nice white wine to accompany them. Inland shrimp.

Best way there is to watch the sunset and reflect on the day.
Charlie P.

Perception Sport Sound 12.5

Keto panfish recipe? 4 weeks 2 days ago #4

• Wisconsin
  • Clay
  • 250+ Posts!
Stump, the Inland Shrimp sounds marvelous. I love horseradish by the way and cocktail sauce.

We tried our panfish recipe last night. The parm cheese as the base coating after the egg wash was nice. We did end up kicking that recipe up a notch with some garlic and cayenne. Made some dipping sauce for those with some sour cream, garlic, cayenne, relish and onion. Usually use home made mayo, but the sour cream was staring back at me when I opened the fridge.

Had a glass of some local wine with it. Life is good.

Keto panfish recipe? 4 weeks 1 hour ago #5

• Apison, TN, USA
  • MontyMurdoch
  • 800+ Posts!
  • 2015 YakAngler Supporter2016 YakAngler SupporterAmbassador Medal2013 YakAngler Supporter 2014 YakAngler Supporter Presidents Day Boondoggle 2013Aficionado
Too healthy for me :)

Keto panfish recipe? 1 week 15 hours ago #6

• Van. Is.
  • Bert
  • -10 Posts!
Didn't think my first post, after joining 2 minutes ago, would be on Keto!!! :lmao:
As a fellow Keto eater, I've been eye-balling Pork Rinds/ Bacon Puffs for this very thing. Crush them real fine and use to bread fish, chicken, etc. Gonna try it in burgers and meat loaf too, rather then almond flour. I think the rinds will be awesome as breading. Just need to catch a fish..... but those are questions for another post.... :up:
P.S.- watch that sugar/ carb content in the relish! Wink, wink :lmao:

Keto panfish recipe? 6 days 4 hours ago #7

• Silverhill, Alabama, USA
  • basscatlildave
  • MOD Squad
  • NOW ONLINE
  • YakAngler Mod2015 YakAngler Supporter2016 YakAngler Supporter2014 YakAngler Supporter Ambassador MedalPhotographerTravelerReviewerGreen Skull
Never thought of that. :up:Bert wrote:
Didn't think my first post, after joining 2 minutes ago, would be on Keto!!! :lmao:
As a fellow Keto eater, I've been eye-balling Pork Rinds/ Bacon Puffs for this very thing. Crush them real fine and use to bread fish, chicken, etc. Gonna try it in burgers and meat loaf too, rather then almond flour. I think the rinds will be awesome as breading. Just need to catch a fish..... but those are questions for another post.... :up:
P.S.- watch that sugar/ carb content in the relish! Wink, wink :lmao:

Keto panfish recipe? 5 days 16 hours ago #8

• Wisconsin
  • Clay
  • 250+ Posts!
Welcome to the board Bert. Yes, we talk about a lot of different things on a kayak forum. Thanks for your contribution on the Keto question.

I used a tracker for about 6 months: MyPlate. It was an eye opener. My number one source of carbs in my personal diet was "Onion". It was a sneaky devil. I gave up pasta, bread and potato pretty easily and I loved all three, but giving up onion was difficult for me. These days garlic and I have a close relationship and onion is just an occasional visitor to my plate.

I've been playing this keto game for well over a year. It's been a great fit for me and my wife. Lost most of the weight in the first two months and then after that we just stabilized. Life is good.

Fish fits into the keto diet very well.

Keto panfish recipe? 5 days 15 hours ago #9

• Van. Is.
  • Bert
  • -10 Posts!
Glad to hear you're doing well on it! I'm about 10 months in and down about 45. 30 of that pretty much fell off in the first half. Didn't change anything else as I wanted a clean picture as to whether it was effective on it's own. Still took in more calories/ day then I "should" and didn't exercise anymore or less then usual and still smoke, unfortunately. As a side effect it did wonders for inflammation, as well. No joint pain or muscle spasms this whole time, even with long plane train and automobile trips. Really quite something. Have recently started to drop caloric intake and getting ready to go on the patch to quit smoking, so hope that further helps drop the weight.
At first, pizza and Doritos were the tough ones. But Fathead pizza and nuts were good replacements. Nut's were replaced with pork rinds for a weekend treat. I stay really strict, though, with carb intake. Green veg and meat is most of my diet. I make keto cookies and fat bombs once in a while, and have a Zevia soda when the sweet tooth strikes, and all is good. If I need a tomato sauce, I make one from scratch as pre-made are way to sugared. I don't do cheat meals as I figure I'd just sabotage myself. I think the toughest part is the mental aspect. The carbs/sugar really are heroine.
Good luck with the continued losses! :cheer:

Keto panfish recipe? 5 days 15 hours ago #10

• Van. Is.
  • Bert
  • -10 Posts!
Did some burgers a while ago. I often just do regular ground beef and spices. But for an "extender" I added egg, almond flour, keto catsup and spices. Worked really well!
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?