Kayak Fishing Ultimate Resource

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Ray / Skate nuggets

Ray / Skate nuggets 3 years 1 month ago #1

• Tampa, FL
  • BigPaddler
  • 10+ Posts!
I guess this is more of a technique than a recipe. I was fishing for flounder in the surf and caught a pretty large ray. I was going to let it go as I had no idea if it was good table fare or how to start to clean it. An old guy fishing next to me tells me its great eating and to take a clean 1" whole saw, put it on my DeWalt and start about 1/2" away from the spine and just drill out plugs from the wings. Then take a fillet knife and trim the skin off each side. I followed his advise. They came out in sort of big scallop looking nuggets. I sauteed mine in olive oil and lots of garlic but if I catch another I'll bread 'em and fry 'em.
If the bite is good....it's all good!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Ray / Skate nuggets 3 years 1 month ago #2

• Lake Charles, Louisiana
  • Whiplash
  • 50+ Posts!
I've hooked a few. Always end up releasing them for lack of cleaning knowledge. Or I'm just too lazy to try
Kajun Custom K12
Pompano 120

Louisiana marshes
Freshwater

Ray / Skate nuggets 3 years 1 month ago #3

• Tampa, FL
  • BigPaddler
  • 10+ Posts!
Next time you hook one keep it. It's good eatin'. The only thing is it can get tedious skinning the nuggets if your knife isn't sharp.

By the way, I'm originally from LA. Cousin went to Barbe another to St.Louis and my sister went to McNeese and used to live in Moss Bluff. I've hunted and fished all around you (Big Lake, Gueydan, Lake Arthur, Cameron, Grand Chenier). I miss LA.
If the bite is good....it's all good!
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?