Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Smokey Fried Flathead

Smokey Fried Flathead 3 years 10 months ago #1

• Des Moines, IA, USA
  • DRH2O
  • 500+ Posts!
  • Ambassador MedalProficient YakAngler
A sort-of recipe...

I few weeks ago I caught my first kayak flathead which I posted up here. It was maybe 1/16th of an inch short of 35", which is a Master Angler fish here in Iowa. A fish that close to 'trophy' size had to be let go. I was deluged with comments from people telling me how delicious they are. I'd never tried one.

Last week I was back at it and picked up my 2nd kayak flatty. This one was still very good size at 29" but not really approaching trophy status. We had a big family shindig the following day for the holiday weekend and I figured this fish was just the right size to fix up for the family pot-luck.

Flatty2Filtered.jpg

First off, these fish have a CRAZY amount of meat on them! I ended up with 4 massive logs of steak, from the back and the belly. Wow!

Now to the sort-of recipe part.

I was winging this so there are no strict measurements but I'll give you the basic rundown.

First I rinsed all the fillets thoroughly and patted them dry. I rubbed on just a little bit of salt, pepper, and chili powder and I put them in the smoker for a short burst of smoke. This was just to add a subtle flavor so only a handful of woodchips and the meat came out as soon as the chips had burnt up. It was about an hour or so in the smoker.

Then I took them out of the smoker and cut them up into single serving sized sections.

I dredged them in flour (mixed with lemon pepper and ground chipotle for flavor and paprika for color)

Dipped them in an egg-wash (with a bit of Frank's Red Hot mix in for heat)

Dunked them in a batter mix (Flour and beer, a little more pepper)

Tossed them in the fryer.

These were fantastic! They were a big hit at the family party. I brought a big broaster full of them and I didn't have to bring any back home.

When I try this again I'll be more mindful about getting all the measurements and I'll update this post. I figured this was enough of a start for anyone to take and run with though.

Enjoy!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Smokey Fried Flathead 3 years 10 months ago #2

• Silverhill, Alabama, USA
  • basscatlildave
  • MOD Squad
  • YakAngler Mod2015 YakAngler Supporter2016 YakAngler Supporter2014 YakAngler Supporter Ambassador MedalPhotographerTravelerReviewerGreen Skull
I have never heard of smoking then frying. :woohoo: That sounds great :up: I will have to try this.

Smokey Fried Flathead 3 years 10 months ago #3

• North Carolina
  • Fly2bTied
  • 1250+ Posts!
  • 2016 YakAngler SupporterAmbassador Medal2015 YakAngler Supporter
That sounds excellent, will have to give it a try as well.
2017 Jackson Kilroy LT

Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?