Kayak Fishing Ultimate Resource

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Smoked Black Sea Bass (works for other fish too).

Smoked Black Sea Bass (works for other fish too). 4 years 3 months ago #1

• Long Island, NY
  • BaconRaygun
  • 10+ Posts!
I highly recommend this to anybody who owns a smoker. This is a very simple little recipe that I came up with last fall... and it just happens to be absolutely fantastic.

For fish, I use Alder, Ash or Oak... sometimes Pecan. Keep it light.

Main Ingredients:
-4+ thick, skin on fillets of black seabass or similar (scup, striped bass, Patagonian tooth fish, etc... any flaky white fish). I prefer seabass for this recipe because of its mild yet somewhat fatty flesh.
-1 tbsp olive or vegetable oil. Peanut oil works too.
-2+ tbsp dark brown sugar.

Brine: Combine all dry ingredients with 1/2 of the water, simmer until dissolved, add remaining water and let cool.
-2 cups water (1 tbsp salt to 1 cup water). Increase the ratio if working with kosher salt as this is for 'ragular' salt or medium sea salt.
-1 tbsp pepper
-1 tbsp onion powder
-1 tsp ginger powder (optional)

Glaze: Combine all ingredients and simmer, reduce by about 1/3 to 1/2. Adjust the sugars to taste, but below are my ratios.
-1 part soy sauce and/or tamari (you can mix them if you want, experiment)
-1/2 part molasses
-1 part dark brown sugar
-2 parts bourbon

This works best with thicker fillets (for the obvious reasons). For the sake of this recipe, I will stick with fillets of approximately 1 inch thick at the thickest point. The ones pictured below were from a pair of seabass of roughly 4 lbs and 6 lbs.

Scale and filet your fish leaving the skin on then remove any pin bones using a pair of pliers. Fresh fish is imperative here as it will just fall apart when removing the pins if it was frozen for more than a week. Wash the fillets in cold water and place in the brine for one hour. Thicker (>1 inch) fillets can be left in for up to two hours.

Remove the fillets from the brine and wash with cold water. Don't go nuts, you want some of the pepper and onion powder to stay on the fish, but you do want to wash all of the brine off. Pat dry and place fillets skin side down onto a tray (or a plate) and refrigerate uncovered for at least two hours. This will form a nice pellicle.

Prepare your smoker for a target temperature between 200 and 250 degrees. For thicker cuts (>1 inch) bump the temperature closer to 300 as lower temps and a longer cooking time will dry out the fillets. Coat the skin with a light sheen of oil and place fillets onto the rack inside your smoker. Crumble some brown sugar onto the fillets and cover your smoker.

*Smoke for approximately 40 minutes and then mop the glaze onto the fish. Glaze twice with a 10 minute interval between glazing. Remove fish 10 minutes after final glaze. Total cook time typically varies from 50 - 80 minutes depending on thickness of your fillets and your smoker. The skin will stay behind when you remove the fillets (that's why we kept it to begin with).

*You can alter this to your liking, I know everybody's smokers are different so there is some leeway here. However, don't jump the gun on the glaze!

Enjoy! The final product should look something like this.

Last Edit: 4 years 3 months ago by BaconRaygun.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: aeds151, DRH2O

Smoked Black Sea Bass (works for other fish too). 4 years 3 months ago #2

• Silverhill, Alabama, USA
  • basscatlildave
  • MOD Squad
  • YakAngler Mod2015 YakAngler Supporter2016 YakAngler Supporter2014 YakAngler Supporter Ambassador MedalPhotographerTravelerReviewerGreen Skull
:daman: This sounds wonderful. I don't have Sea Bass in my area but I wil try on others.

Smoked Black Sea Bass (works for other fish too). 4 years 3 months ago #3

• KevinCostello
  • 250+ Posts!
  • 2016 YakAngler SupporterAmbassador MedalLifetime YakAngler Supporter2014 YakAngler Supporter 2015 YakAngler SupporterTravelerAficionado
:bravo:

Looks awesome.
Jackson Kayak Coosa HD
Jackson Kayak Kilroy DT

Shanks Mare Fishing Team
shanksmare.com/
Werner Paddles Fishing Ambassador
www.wernerpaddles.com/
Kayak Anglers
www.kayak-anglers.com

Smoked Black Sea Bass (works for other fish too). 4 years 3 months ago #4

• Saint Marys, GA
  • daiwanut
  • 2K+ Posts!
  • Photographer2012 YakAngler Supporter 2013 YakAngler Supporter 2015 YakAngler SupporterAmbassador Medal2014 YakAngler Supporter ArbiterGreen Skull
Sounds great!

Smoked Black Sea Bass (works for other fish too). 4 years 3 months ago #5

• Fort Walton Beach, Florida, USA
  • yak_n_mike
  • 800+ Posts!
  • 2016 YakAngler Supporter2015 YakAngler SupporterAmbassador MedalBoondoggle Website Supporter
I don't like smoked fish, but that I'll have to give a try. Thanks
Hobie Outback
Manta Ray 14 "the Crusty Frog"

Smoked Black Sea Bass (works for other fish too). 4 years 3 months ago #6

• Russellville, arkansas
  • aeds151
  • 250+ Posts!
Made my mouth water. Thanks for posting. Got this one written down!

Smoked Black Sea Bass (works for other fish too). 4 years 3 months ago #7

• Long Island, NY
  • BaconRaygun
  • 10+ Posts!
yak_n_mike wrote:
I don't like smoked fish, but that I'll have to give a try. Thanks

This is hot smoked so it will not be anything like the smoked fish you buy at the market. Think of this as more along the lines of BBQ pulled pork, ribs or brisket, except it's fish and the cook time is short so the smoke flavor is relatively subtle. Definitely give it a shot!
aeds151 wrote:
Made my mouth water. Thanks for posting. Got this one written down!

My pleasure! Enjoy, I'm anxious to start the season so that I can make this again!
Last Edit: 4 years 3 months ago by BaconRaygun.

Smoked Black Sea Bass (works for other fish too). 2 years 1 month ago #8

Good.
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?