Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Kayak Fishing Answers Forum

TOPIC: Kiwi Angler

Kiwi Angler 3 years 4 months ago #1

• Cave City, Kentucky, USA
  • Brutus
  • 50+ Posts!
Saw one of these and was real intrigued. Wonderin if anyone else has any experience with them. Doesn't seem to be much info on them. Interesting to me because of the dual pontoon construction, me being new to kayaks and all. Thanks.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Kiwi Angler 3 years 4 months ago #2

• Louisville, Kentucky, USA
  • YakSushi
  • Administrator
  • Presidents Day Boondoggle 2014Columbus Day Boondoggle 2013Boondoggle Website SupporterPresidents Day Boondoggle 2013AuthorColumbus Day Boondoggle 2012 Presidents Day Boondoggle 2012Presidents Day Boondoggle Jax 2011FoundersTrailblazerAficionadoGreen Skull

I've not personally paddled this kayak, but there is a dealer in Glasgow, Ky. They should offer demo's.

Mark Miller Marine
3581 Scottsville Rd.
Glasgow, KY 42141

Re: Kiwi Angler 3 years 4 months ago #3

• Louisville, Kentucky, United States
  • adam
  • Administrator
  • Presidents Day Boondoggle 2014Columbus Day Boondoggle 2013Boondoggle Website SupporterPresidents Day Boondoggle 2013Columbus Day Boondoggle 2012 Presidents Day Boondoggle 2012FoundersSeekerDilettanteGreen Skull
No, I've never heard anything about these boats.

If your interested in that style of kayak there is also another company that has a similar style. Wavewalk:

I've never been in the wavewalk but a guy from their company is always sending me updates along with videos of how stable it is.

Re: Kiwi Angler 3 years 4 months ago #4

• Brutus
  • 50+ Posts!
Thanks. I've looked at both of these boats via internet only. The dealer here in town no longer sells the Kiwis and the Wavewalker is outta my price range.
I want a yak mainly for fishing but can't rule out an occasional fishing/hunting/camping trip and the Kiwi looks like it is very limited for storage space. I've never even sat in a kayak before and thought the dual pontoon was a good thing for a newb. Any other suggestions for a good beginning yak owner would be welcome.

Re: Kiwi Angler 3 years 4 months ago #5

• Louisville, Kentucky, United States
  • adam
  • Administrator
  • Presidents Day Boondoggle 2014Columbus Day Boondoggle 2013Boondoggle Website SupporterPresidents Day Boondoggle 2013Columbus Day Boondoggle 2012 Presidents Day Boondoggle 2012FoundersSeekerDilettanteGreen Skull
This seems to be one of the most common questions that we get here on the forum and its a very good one. There are a ton of good kayak options on the market. You have to narrow them down by what your looking to use it for. Here are two articles from the resources section that may help you narrow things down.

In regards to price... This is a topic that I constantly take issue with. I have the opportunity to talk to tons of new kayak anglers a year looking to purchase their first kayak. So many times they end up choosing a kayak based on the entry level price and not based on the right "fit" for them.

I personally think that the industry is missing out on a huge segment of new kayak anglers by not offering decent sit-on-tops in the mid level price range.
Last Edit: 3 years 4 months ago by adam.

Re: Kiwi Angler 3 years 4 months ago #6

• Louisville, Kentucky, USA
  • YakSushi
  • Administrator
  • Presidents Day Boondoggle 2014Columbus Day Boondoggle 2013Boondoggle Website SupporterPresidents Day Boondoggle 2013AuthorColumbus Day Boondoggle 2012 Presidents Day Boondoggle 2012Presidents Day Boondoggle Jax 2011FoundersTrailblazerAficionadoGreen Skull
Brutus wrote:
I want a yak mainly for fishing but can't rule out an occasional fishing/hunting/camping trip and the Kiwi looks like it is very limited for storage space.

Living in Kentucky I assume you will not be hitting the salt much. Do you typically fish rivers or lakes?

What's the price range your looking at?

Re: Kiwi Angler 3 years 4 months ago #7

• Brutus
  • 50+ Posts!
Adam, Thanks. People like you are what make these kind of forums worth visiting.:daman:

I understand where you are comin from. I don't want a cheap piece of junk but I don't want to spend for top of the line stuff until I'm sure I'm really into kayaking. I've gone from bass boat to jon boat and now canoe or yak. I'm leanin towards yak for several reasons, one being my bud who has experience with both and thinks this might be the right direction for both of us, he's planning on getting something too.

Re: Kiwi Angler 3 years 4 months ago #8

• Rindge, New Hampshire, USA
  • Hammerhead
  • 2K+ Posts!
  • 2014 YakAngler Supporter Columbus Day Boondoggle 2013Boondoggle Website SupporterPresidents Day Boondoggle 20132013 YakAngler Supporter Columbus Day Boondoggle 2012 2012 YakAngler Supporter Columbus Day Boondoggle 2011YakAngler Pro TeamAuthorPresidents Day Boondoggle Jax 20112010 YakAngler Supporter2011 YakAngler SupporterSeekerDilettanteGreen SkullCrack YakAngler
Not sure on your price range but you might want to check out the FeelFree Moken. It has a lot of nice features like you don't need to buy or build a cart. They are priced at or below most of the competition. YakSushi demoed one last year and seamed to like it. I also just bought one of FeelFree's smaller kayaks for my youngest son and I have been really impressed with the quality and bang for the buck.

But what ever you buy make sure you try it first.
My Blog:YakFish.Net

Re: Kiwi Angler 3 years 4 months ago #9

• Brutus
  • 50+ Posts!
Thanks again for the help evryone. My price range ends at about $800. And that's only if my wife doesn't ever look on here:)

Where can I "test drive" a yak? Th enearest place to me is Gander Mt in Bowling Green and I doubt they'll let me take one to try it out.
Moderators: smj190, Aggroman
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?