Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Kayak Fishing Answers Forum

TOPIC: Weight Limit on a kayak

Weight Limit on a kayak 3 years 9 months ago #1

• Lexington, Kentucky
  • Gixxerjoe04ky
  • 50+ Posts!
I'm looking into getting a kayak in the next month or so and had a question about the weight limit. Was looking at the Pelican Potomac 100 or 120, the 100 has a 250lb weight limit and the 120 has a 300lb limit. I'm 6'2'' and a little over 200 lbs and with carrying stuff when i do go kayaking id probably be around 225 lbs with everything. Should i get the Potomac 120 with the 300 lb weight limit or the smaller one? New to kayaking so didnt know if being close to the max weight is a bad thing, didnt wanna sink:down:
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: johncochran

Re: Weight Limit on a kayak 3 years 9 months ago #2

• virginia beach, Virginia,
  • landingcrew
  • 800+ Posts!
  • Columbus Day Boondoggle 2013Boondoggle Website SupporterAmbassador MedalPresidents Day Boondoggle 2013Columbus Day Boondoggle 2012 Presidents Day Boondoggle 2012Presidents Day Boondoggle Jax 20112010 YakAngler Supporter2011 YakAngler SupporterSeeker
welcome to yakangler, umm if are you gonna do a lot of sight seeing? or touring? if not and your looking to fish then i would go with a sit on top. your a big dude, and because of that alot of the SINKS(sit inside kayak) dont fit large dudes, plus gear. another downside is there i very limited mobility, and little to no room for gear. look at a sit on top, with mobility endless and the ability to have lots of gear and a higher wieght capacity you can't go wrong. i know dicks has a decent one, but for my money look at the wilderness systems ride 135 or the commander. the thing you will hear from everyone is thisgo out and try a few out first!!!!!! this way you can find one you feel comfortable in, the last thing you want to do is buy a yak and find out you are not comfortable in it. also make sure you buy a pfd and wear it at all times when you are out on the water, you can pick up a decent yakking pfd online for around 50 to 75 bucks. spend a little here and wear it on the water cause you don't want to need it and can't reach it or you just don't have one and have an "accident." good luck with your purchase, and yakangler.com is like radio shack "youve got questions we have ALOT of answers":cheer:
Last Edit: 3 years 9 months ago by landingcrew.

Re: Weight Limit on a kayak 3 years 9 months ago #3

• Old Hickory, Tennessee, USA
  • Geno
  • 50+ Posts!
Agreed...the whole goal with the wieght limit is not to get close to it.:up: Try them out before you buy, read posts, reviews, etc. In general, the kayaking community is very close. For example, there are a lot of kayakers here that would gladly meet up with someone such as yourself (new to kayaking) and let them try out a few kayaks. I have 4 kayaks (just sold a cheapo and replaced it with a Malibu) and enjoy letting folks use them...that's why I have 4, to enjoy this great sport with others. Ultimately, it will depend on what you're using the kayak for...exercise, sight seeing, fishing, photography, etc. The only thing I can recommend is to be patient. Saving a few bucks on an inferior kayak that may not suit your needs might be a poor decision in the long run. Ask questions here...that's why Mark and Adam started this site.
Good luck!:welcome:
Hobie Revolution - Mine
Malibu Mini X - Wife's
Ocean Kayak Malibu 2XL
Sea Eagle 435 PaddleSki Catamaran/Kayak

Re: Weight Limit on a kayak 3 years 9 months ago #4

• Louisville, Kentucky, USA
  • YakSushi
  • Administrator
  • Presidents Day Boondoggle 2014Columbus Day Boondoggle 2013Boondoggle Website SupporterPresidents Day Boondoggle 2013AuthorColumbus Day Boondoggle 2012 Presidents Day Boondoggle 2012Presidents Day Boondoggle Jax 2011FoundersTrailblazerAficionadoGreen Skull
Gixxerjoe04ky wrote:
I'm looking into getting a kayak in the next month or so and had a question about the weight limit. Was looking at the Pelican Potomac 100 or 120, the 100 has a 250lb weight limit and the 120 has a 300lb limit. I'm 6'2'' and a little over 200 lbs and with carrying stuff when i do go kayaking id probably be around 225 lbs with everything. Should i get the Potomac 120 with the 300 lb weight limit or the smaller one? New to kayaking so didnt know if being close to the max weight is a bad thing, didnt wanna sink:down:

First off Welcome to YakAngler! Always nice to have another local on the site! I can understand not wanting to drop $1000 + on a kayak when your new to the sport. What is your budget? If you give us a dollar amount it will be easier for us to recommend one. I can tell you that you need to try out as many as possible before actually buying one. Several of us in Kentucky have extra kayaks if you want to hook up with us and try one out or you can check out the Kayak Fishing 101 Class in Louisville we are having. Canoe KY will be there with boats for you to demo.

Re: Weight Limit on a kayak 3 years 9 months ago #5

• Louisville, Kentucky, United States
  • adam
  • Administrator
  • Presidents Day Boondoggle 2014Columbus Day Boondoggle 2013Boondoggle Website SupporterPresidents Day Boondoggle 2013Columbus Day Boondoggle 2012 Presidents Day Boondoggle 2012FoundersSeekerDilettanteGreen Skull
Couldn't agree more. If you can, you should definitely check out our Kayak Fishing 101 class. I know that I started with a SINK (Sit-in-kayak) and quickly moved to a sit on top. Demo as many as you can, ask a bunch of questions, and then make a decision.

Re: Weight Limit on a kayak 3 years 9 months ago #6

• Lexington, Kentucky
  • Gixxerjoe04ky
  • 50+ Posts!
I really didn't want to spend over $400 since it's my first kayak and i was looking at the ones you sit on top and they're a lot more expensive than the ones you sit in. I have 2 other friends that are going to buy one as well, they're lucky they're shorter and weigh a lot less so they have more options it seems. I found one that you sit on top on dick's sporting goods website but of course its max weight is 225-240lbs. The main reason i was looking now is since it's out of season a lot of places are having sales, of course it being out of season means i cant go and test different kinds out to see what i like and i definatly dont want to buy something that i end up hating. And we plan to use them to go fishing/camping/sight seeing, stuff like that around here in central ky like on elkhorn creek

Re: Weight Limit on a kayak 3 years 9 months ago #7

• YakSushi
  • Administrator
  • Presidents Day Boondoggle 2014Columbus Day Boondoggle 2013Boondoggle Website SupporterPresidents Day Boondoggle 2013AuthorColumbus Day Boondoggle 2012 Presidents Day Boondoggle 2012Presidents Day Boondoggle Jax 2011FoundersTrailblazerAficionadoGreen Skull
Here are some used kayaks at canoe ky ---> LINK

Native Ultimate 12 Red $600.00

Length: 12' 1"
Width: 30"
Weight: 55 lbs.
Capacity: 350 lbs.
Leg Room - Total: 42
Leg Room To Peg: 42
Hatches Incl: 0
Optional Hatches: 0
Material: Polyethylene

Heritage Red Fish 12 Red $475.0

Length: 12' 3"
Width: 30"
Depth: 12”
Kayak Weight: 65 lbs.
Capacity: 350 lbs. (159kg)
Last Edit: 3 years 9 months ago by YakSushi.

Re: Weight Limit on a kayak 3 years 9 months ago #8

• YakSushi
  • Administrator
I've never used one but here is the Ascent A12T SOT from Bass Pro

www.basspro.com/Ascend-A12T-Sit-On-Top-Kayak/product/10213832/-1681283#prodDescription

$379.99

Length: 12' long x 31'' wide.
Kayak Weight: 56 lbs.
Capacity: 350 lbs

Re: Weight Limit on a kayak 3 years 9 months ago #9

• Lexington, Kentucky
  • Gixxerjoe04ky
  • 50+ Posts!
Those look nice, but me just getting out of college with a crappy job and a few loans, cant really blow a ton of money. The one at bass pro doesnt look that bad either, also found this one on their site www.basspro.com/Ascend-A10-Sit-In-Kayak/product/10213817/-1764058 got good reviews so might have to take a trip to bass pro to check it out

Re: Weight Limit on a kayak 3 years 9 months ago #10

• YakSushi
  • Administrator
Gixxerjoe04ky wrote:
Those look nice, but me just getting out of college with a crappy job and a few loans, cant really blow a ton of money. The one at bass pro doesnt look that bad either, also found this one on their site www.basspro.com/Ascend-A10-Sit-In-Kayak/product/10213817/-1764058 got good reviews so might have to take a trip to bass pro to check it out

Totally your call but for a difference of $80, I wouldn't sell yourself short with a Sit In Kayak. Another thing to think about is standing up. The Ascent SOT is 31in wide so you should be able to stand up in it "I can't say for sure I've never been in one". On the other hand you "most likley" will not be standing in the Sit In. I know I stand 75% of the time while fishing. But if it means not getting anything because of the extra $80, just getting out onto the water is the most important thing! :up:
Last Edit: 3 years 9 months ago by YakSushi.
Moderators: smj190, Aggroman
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?