Kayak Fishing Ultimate Resource

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Kayak Fishing Answers Forum

TOPIC: Kayak size for my weight...help!

Kayak size for my weight...help! 1 month 4 weeks ago #1

Hello all.
I'm going to be buying a used kayak here soon.
As of now I'm leaning towards an Feel free lure 11.5 but am concerned about the weight limit of the kayak. I weigh from 280-290 pounds and the weight limit for the 11.5 lure is said to be 425. I plan on adding a 7"fish finder so with a couple of poles and tackle would I be to much weight for the 11.5?
Any thoughts and advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks guys!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Kayak size for my weight...help! 1 month 2 weeks ago #2

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Kayak size for my weight...help! 1 month 2 weeks ago #3

• NE Pennsylvania
  • Spider1
  • 1250+ Posts!
  • Ambassador Medal
General rule of thumb is that you don't want to go over 70% of the max capacity of the kayak with your weight and est weight of your gear. A fish finder isn't that much weight but the battery can be, tackle and other gear adds to the weight. I'd say because you are a big guy and it's a decent boat, you should be ok in most situations but you might want to look at a boat with a bit more capacity. I'm using a WS Ride 115 and it has a capacity of 500, the lure 13.5 has a capacity of 500# as well. Not that I'm suggesting any particular boat for you but just saying that kayaks with higher capacities are out there for bigger guys.

The thing about the weight capacity is that it's a max weight they load these kayaks with until a specific percentage of hull is below surface. They will still float if they go past this to an extent but performance will be reduced. On calm water, no big deal but if it gets windy and choppy the boat might be difficult to maneuver.
Last Edit: 1 month 2 weeks ago by Spider1.

Kayak size for my weight...help! 1 month 2 weeks ago #4

• Williamsport, PA
  • bigjohn58
  • 250+ Posts!
  • Ambassador MedalReviewer
If you are worried about the weight maybe bump up to the 13.5 but that also depends on where you plan on fishing. Other big guy kayaks are the Old Town Predator XL, Jackson Big Rig, Wilderness Systems Radar 135. To be quite honest though I have an Old Town Predator MX that I'm sure I go over the weight capacity on my camping trips but I have no issues. As long as its a higher end kayak you should have no issues with the weight problem.

Kayak size for my weight...help! 1 month 1 week ago #5

Thanks for the info. The 11.5 was used and already got sold anyways so now I am looking at the 13.5 Lure. I found a used one for $1000 2016 and it comes with a lowrance Hook 5 and paddle Or I can get a new 2019 for $1050 but doesn't come with anything. Decisions decisions...

Kayak size for my weight...help! 1 month 1 week ago #6

Yup. Definitely worried about the weight. I'm 6ft and 290lbs lol. I'm looking at the 13.5 now, it holds 500 vs the 11.5 at 425lbs
Thanks for info and reply.

Kayak size for my weight...help! 2 weeks 4 days ago #7

• Apison, TN, USA
  • MontyMurdoch
  • 800+ Posts!
  • 2015 YakAngler Supporter2016 YakAngler SupporterAmbassador Medal2013 YakAngler Supporter 2014 YakAngler Supporter Presidents Day Boondoggle 2013Aficionado
I like the 75% rule.
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?