Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Kayak Fishing Answers Forum

TOPIC: First Bass rod/reel setup

First Bass rod/reel setup 3 months 2 days ago #1

• Van. Is.
  • Bert
  • 10+ Posts!
I've got a light 6'6" spin combo for trout. But saw a couple Bass at my local lake that were pretty darn big. So got me thinking about fishing for them. I'd like to get a single do-all rod. I know, there isn't one rod for all types of methods, but as I'm just getting started and have to be careful with my pennies, I'd like to start with one rod. Have done and am still watching lots of beginner vid's. Thinking a med. to med-heavy rod with a 2500-3500 series type spin reel( again, just starting, so not wanting to make the leap to a caster yet). For line, thinking 15-20lb braid to fluro leader.(not clear on what poundage for the leader though?)
Lake has reeds, grass, submerged branches/logs, and rock. Likely silty bottom. 2-20ft deep. Reeds/grass/branchy areas in 2-5' of water close to shore seem to be the likely spots I'll hit.
Lures and baits, I'm thinking plastic worms, texas or drop shot style. crank baits, poppers, etc.
Any comments/suggestions on what I've listed so far? Am I on the right track?
Suggestions on fluro leader poundage?
With the worm rigs, do you have weight suggestions? Hook size/style?
Crank/popper size? Spinner bait size/weight?
Sorry for the smorgasbord of questions. Just want to get a good one rod set-up for now and don't want to blow my low budget on getting the wrong things.
Thanks folks!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

First Bass rod/reel setup 3 months 1 day ago #2

• Upstate NY
  • Stumpkiller
  • 250+ Posts!
  • 2016 YakAngler Supporter
My favorite bass rod is a 6'6" ft Fenwick Eagle GT UL and a Quantum Pulse 20 reel with 6 lb P-Line fluorocarbon. (I have several lighter that I use for trout and bass).

The only reason you need 20# - 60# braid is to horse them in fast with all the weeds attached.

I fish clear spots for smallmouth and avoid the weeds...I do have some "bigger guns" for casting plugs onto weeds. One I like is a "retro" Mitchel 300Pro and a G. Loomis GL2 medium spinning. This has 8# test (also P-Line Fluro.)

For the very heavy (in my world) stuff I have a Lews BB1 Pro casting reel and a Shakespeare Elite Ugly Stik. That has 12# test. I use the same rig for catfish.

The advantage of fishing from a kayak is that if they get hung up you can go in and get them. You don't have to uproot the lake to haul them aboard from a distance.
Charlie P.

Perception Sport Sound 12.5

Last Edit: 3 months 1 day ago by Stumpkiller.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?