Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Kayak Fishing Answers Forum

TOPIC: Setting up a FF for kayak fishing

Setting up a FF for kayak fishing 4 months 2 weeks ago #1

• All over
  • Samthetramp
  • 50+ Posts!
I have a Lowrance Elite 4 Chirp with Down scan and am completely frustrated so far. It's my 1st ff and getting it set up so I see more than blobs and smears seems impossible. Its mounted well enough using a cellblock and ram transducer arm. I've yet to see an fish arch but see all kinds of lines, blobs and such. There's 100's of videos about setting them up but none are kayak specific. Someone suggested mine is set too sensitive. I don't know.

Please help. I'm gonna sell it if I can't figure it out.

Thanks.
Life without risk is merely existing.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Setting up a FF for kayak fishing 4 months 2 weeks ago #2

• Whitecourt, Alberta
  • Demonical
  • 50+ Posts!
Because I am a simpleton, the only thing I look at is structure and depth.
I don't care about blobs, blurbs, 'fish symbols', arcs etc...

Setting up a FF for kayak fishing 4 months 2 weeks ago #3

• NE Pennsylvania
  • Spider1
  • 1250+ Posts!
  • Ambassador Medal
It all depends on the waters you fish. If it's shallow or not, structure, clarity, all sorts of stuff. I don't have mine with me right now(it's the same FF) so I can't tell you my settings but they are basic. I leave the fish ID off. usually whan I see fish arcs it's near or on the bottom, often when I drop a jig down all I see is the line from my jig and then the lines from the fish coming up to check it out. I usually look for structure and changes in the bottom as I'm paddling. When I pass something that looks good I'll stop, turn the boat and fish back toward the spot. Thinking of investing in some bouy markers. When I pass over some good structure I can just drop a bouy and I can fish right up to it.

Get out on your kayak with the FF and play with it for a while. Don't try fishing while you're trying to figure out your FF cuz you'll just get frustrated. Just go out and mess with the finder.

Setting up a FF for kayak fishing 4 months 2 weeks ago #4

• All over
  • Samthetramp
  • 50+ Posts!
I haven't been using the fish ID but have the last 2 times I went out simply to go back and forth from with and without to try and learn something. What I learned if fish ID is a gimmick. I wanted to use it to find structure but when structure appears to be floating right under the surface but there's nothing there I wonder if the settings are wrong. As much as I've used it surely by now I would've seen fish arches at least once. Just vertical lines or smears.

I mostly fish water less than 15' deep but had it out on a strip pit last week. That's an exercise in futility when your anchor set up is for shallow water and it's windy. I was 15' of shore in 37' of water.
Last Edit: 4 months 2 weeks ago by Samthetramp.

Setting up a FF for kayak fishing 4 months 2 weeks ago #5

• NE Pennsylvania
  • Spider1
  • 1250+ Posts!
  • Ambassador Medal
I've set mine to shallow water but it gets messy sometimes so I try it on fresh water sometimes. Most of the lakes I fish are 12' and under so it's usually on shallow water.

The stuff you're seeing at the top is because of the sensitivity, you might have it set on auto, try it in a few settings. Too sensitive and it will show a bunch of clutter, not enough and you won't see anything that isn't a whale.

Also, set your depth range. Auto works but it's better to keep it set one step deeper than the depth of your lake.

Ping speed, normal to slow. Slowest is for anchored and jigging.

Noise rejection-off.
Surface clarity-low... unless you got crystal clear water, then you can use med or high and adjust the sensitivity more. But in most lakes I fish, even the clearest lake gets the low setting.

I like the blue background but that's personal preference.

After everything is adjusted, go back and adjust the sensitivity.

I hardly see arches unless I'm in deeper water and they are active. In most situations I see structure and when I drop my jig I'll see lines going up to meet it. But that's shallow water fishing. Most of the fish will be hugging the bottom until something makes them move like a fat worm or injured minnow. In shallow water I want to find structure, cuz that's where the fish will be.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Samthetramp

Setting up a FF for kayak fishing 4 months 2 weeks ago #6

• All over
  • Samthetramp
  • 50+ Posts!
Spider1 thanks for that info. I'm usually on shallow water as well. When you say " After everything is adjusted, go back and adjust the sensitivity." which sensitivity are you referring to? Also do you have down scan enabled?

Thanks

Sam
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?