Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Kayak Fishing Answers Forum

TOPIC: Anchoringwith Lift n Lock Device

Anchoringwith Lift n Lock Device 4 months 3 weeks ago #1

• Whitecourt, Alberta
  • Demonical
  • 50+ Posts!
I pretty much do all my kayaking and fishing on the McLoed River, in central Alberta.
It is fed from the Rocky Mountains, foothills streams, so it can have pretty high flow-rates.

I've been using an anchor trolley diy system, which is okay when the current is low.

I thought with this Lift n Lock thing I'd be able to mount it on the bow of my kayak. But I cannot figure out a way that it could be quickly released, in an emergency.

The other thing is, I'm currently using a 20 lb Navy Anchor, and after reading a bunch of posts here, I am going to try a 5 lb grapple style anchor.

Thoughts?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Anchoringwith Lift n Lock Device 4 months 3 weeks ago #2

• All over
  • Samthetramp
  • 50+ Posts!
I used that exact thing on my jon boat and it worked well on lakes. Not sure how it would be in a high flow situation. I do know that I had issues finding a rope that would work well and it made a lot of noise when lowering and lifting the anchor but that was on an steel boat. I have been using a quick release set up with an anchor trolly for a while now and it worked well in the combination of tidal flow and wind in Tampa Bay, FL.

Currently I'm looking at changing my anchor system as well because the quick release part works well in water up to 15 feet but becomes a PITA in deeper water.

Not real sure how you could set up a quick release using that quick stop you have pictured.

Good luck.
Life without risk is merely existing.

Anchoringwith Lift n Lock Device 4 months 3 weeks ago #3

• Whitecourt, Alberta
  • Demonical
  • 50+ Posts!
Yeah the only thing I can think of would be to attach a second small rope to the rope stop mechanism, that could be used to pull and hold the stopper open, while letting the line play out...

I'm also looking at 3 lb or 5 lb grapple anchors... canot decide which way to go.

Anchoringwith Lift n Lock Device 4 months 3 weeks ago #4

• All over
  • Samthetramp
  • 50+ Posts!
Are you stuck on having a single attachment point on the bow? Have you considered an anchor trolly?

Anchoringwith Lift n Lock Device 4 months 3 weeks ago #5

• Whitecourt, Alberta
  • Demonical
  • 50+ Posts!
Yes I have an anchor trolley setup already. I think I have it pulled too tight, so the rope isn't playing smoothly through the ss pulleys.
Anyway that got me thinking about this other Lift n Lock device... I think I've decided to put that on my 16' aluminum fishing boat instead.

Also, after checking the 3 lb and 5 lb anchors, I prefer the 3 lb.

I have a 1 lb grapple anchor but it won't hold in the current of the river I fish in.
Last Edit: 4 months 3 weeks ago by Demonical.

Anchoringwith Lift n Lock Device 4 months 3 weeks ago #6

• All over
  • Samthetramp
  • 50+ Posts!
I think mine is a 3 or 5 lb grapple. I have a quick release set up with a float on it but it's never been really user friendly if you change depth enough to adjust the line length. I fish in lakes mostly so I may go to a different set up unless I fish moving water. I was fixing to post about anchor line management and saw your post.

Good luck.

Anchoringwith Lift n Lock Device 4 months 2 weeks ago #7

• Williamsport, PA
  • bigjohn58
  • 250+ Posts!
  • Ambassador MedalReviewer
Me personally would NEVER use an anchoring system like that. No way to safely release the anchor in cases you would get stuck and not be able to retrieve it. Even in a lake I've had it before where it got tangled in a submerged tree and wasn't able to get it unhooked. An anchor trolley you are still able to move the anchor rope back to you so you could have a better chance of retrieving the anchor or clearing debris from it.

Anchoringwith Lift n Lock Device 4 months 2 weeks ago #8

• Apison, TN, USA
  • MontyMurdoch
  • 800+ Posts!
  • 2015 YakAngler Supporter2016 YakAngler SupporterAmbassador Medal2013 YakAngler Supporter 2014 YakAngler Supporter Presidents Day Boondoggle 2013Aficionado
You need to have a quick release for you yak in my opinion.

Anchoringwith Lift n Lock Device 4 months 2 weeks ago #9

• All over
  • Samthetramp
  • 50+ Posts!
This is what I've been using for the lsat 3 years now. It works well in water up to 20' deep for me. That's been on both freshwater lakes and in Tampa Bay with tidal flow and wind combined. I'm actually making 1 tweek today and I'll post pics tomorrow. The biggest issue I've found is the loose line in the floor on the side that attaches to Figure 9 biner. The quick release works flawlessly with the exception of having to deal with the loose line as it clears the deck.

palmettokayakfishing.blogspot.com/2011/11/quick-release-diy-kayak-anchor-system.html
Last Edit: 4 months 2 weeks ago by Samthetramp. Reason: Adding link

Anchoringwith Lift n Lock Device 4 months 2 weeks ago #10

• Whitecourt, Alberta
  • Demonical
  • 50+ Posts!
I completely agree with the need for some type of quick release, which is why as soon as I got this thing, I got to wondering how I could release it quickly in an emergency.
The only way I could see how to do it, would be to have the 'Lift n Lock' mounted right beside me, with the anchor line running out through a pulley(?) or something, off the bow of the kayak.
But that would mean there was anchor line stretched out half the length of the boat. No good.

Short story: I screwed up a couple of years ago, anchoring a sit-in kayak, in the river, in heavy current.
I was using an anchor trolley set up, but clipped onto my anchor line, in such a way that the 'quick release clip', was like 6' or something from the kayak.
When I set that up, I didn't see the problem... always figured I'd just be able to pull the line in and unsnap the clip. But when the (sit-in) kayak is full of water, in heavy current, it is getting pulled down into the river, there is absolutely no way to get to the so-called quick release. Maybe Mark Spitz coulda done, back in the day...

So I can tell you from that experience that I UNDERSTAND TOTALLY the need for a QUICK RELEASE, but also that it MUST BE EASILY ACCESSIBLE!!

Good learning experience btw, that little dunking.

Now I tie a simple knot that I can undo with one tug, and that is right where I can grab it, no ifs and or buts.
Last Edit: 4 months 2 weeks ago by Demonical.
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?