Username: Password: Remember me
Kayak Fishing Answers Forum
  • Page:

TOPIC: Anchor size

Anchor size 4 months 2 weeks ago #1

• Van. Is.
  • Bert
  • 10+ Posts!
What size anchor is good for a kayak? Yak is a Nucanoe Pursuit and I'm about 220lbs. Lake and possibly Ocean.
Thanks!!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Anchor size 4 months 2 weeks ago #2

• SC
  • areeldrag
  • 10+ Posts!
I use a 1.5# grapple anchor like you can get from Academy Sports or BP for fresh water & inshore fishing. There has only been a couple times in the inlets it did not hold but the currents were really bad & it was a sandy bottom. Remember in current you may need to let as much as 3 times rope length out as water depth.
I have never been out in the ocean in it but I would think it would be no stronger then main channels in the inlets.
I went with the 1.5# because it fits perfect in my in hull rod holders but if you are concerned you could go with the next size up which I think is 3#.
You can google how to attach to the rope with zip ties in case it gets hung up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bert

Anchor size 4 months 2 weeks ago #3

• Van. Is.
  • Bert
  • 10+ Posts!
Thanks! I was leaning towards a 1.5 or 3lb grapple. Maybe a 3 lb for the sake of being sure. Inshore is more correct, not open ocean. I'll be starting on the sm lakes, so will go with 50' of paracord. Once I get enough hrs in, I'll try inshore and get a 100-200 ft of 1/4" braided line. Somehow paracord just doesn't seem enough for the ocean here. I've seen some good vid's on quick release setups. Just have to figure out what kind of reel. Thinking a DIY spool. Seen reasonably price dive reels on Amazon, just not sure how reasonably they'd hold up!
Thanks again!

Anchor size 4 months 2 weeks ago #4

• SC
  • areeldrag
  • 10+ Posts!
I have looked into the dive reels myself but so far have not really needed one.
I have a 100ft 1/4" from Lowes that I use for everything & so far it has done fine. Paracord is strong but I have found anything under a 1/4" really seems to get a lot more tangles. A quick release system is a really good system to have, I bought a plastic float for it for only $5 or so from Academy & some carabiner clips.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bert

Anchor size 4 months 2 weeks ago #5

• Silverhill, Alabama, USA
  • basscatlildave
  • MOD Squad
  • YakAngler Mod2015 YakAngler Supporter2016 YakAngler Supporter2014 YakAngler Supporter Ambassador MedalPhotographerTravelerReviewerGreen Skull
I was using a 3 lb folding style but only anchored in still water.

Anchor size 4 months 2 weeks ago #6

• Van. Is.
  • Bert
  • 10+ Posts!
Thanks. I was also thinking 1/4" braid as para. is a bit thin and likely gonna be a bit tough to real yank on, when needed, compared to 1/4".
As a follow up question, do you (or others here) just pile the rope into the boat as pulling up the anchor, or over the side, then wind it up proper after the anchor is on board. Or wind it up proper as your pulling it in?
Thanks again!

Anchor size 4 months 2 weeks ago #7

• SC
  • areeldrag
  • 10+ Posts!
I do both. It depends on how much of a hurry I am in. If I am just going to another sport a short distance away or the current is pushing me in a direction I do not want to go then i will just pile it up. Once I get to the point to start back fishing then i will deploy the anchor again or roll it up because you can bet your hook will get caught in it if not.
If I am in shallow water then I will sometimes tuck it under my seat since there will not be a lot of line out.

Just remember safety, anchoring down a kayak can be dangerous but if you use common sense & keep an eye on your surroundings it should not be a problem.
Test your deploy system to make sure your float is buoyant enough to float your rope & rope holder, may possibly need two floats.
Even in still waters I would give some extra line out if you are in a body of water boats are also in. You want enough slack that you can turn your kayak into the boat wake so it does not hit you from the side also allowing your kayak to rise up with the wake. I know a 1.5 to 3# anchor can lift up no problem but if it was to get hung on the bottom & your line is tight & straight down then your kayak could not lift up & that could be a problem.
Remember youtube, a lot of good videos out there for setting up your anchor system & how to use it.
Last Edit: 4 months 2 weeks ago by areeldrag.

Anchor size 4 months 2 weeks ago #8

• Upstate NY
  • Stumpkiller
  • 250+ Posts!
  • 2016 YakAngler Supporter
Depends on the bottom. A little anchor will hold a big yak on rocks or weeds.

I use a folding "tulip" grapnel of 1.5 lbs but with three feet of galvanized 5/16" chain ahead of it for rivers that probably weighs 4 lbs. - and I find still waters.
Charlie P.

Perception Sport Sound 12.5

Last Edit: 4 months 2 weeks ago by Stumpkiller.

Anchor size 4 months 1 week ago #9

• Apison, TN, USA
  • MontyMurdoch
  • 800+ Posts!
  • 2015 YakAngler Supporter2016 YakAngler SupporterAmbassador Medal2013 YakAngler Supporter 2014 YakAngler Supporter Presidents Day Boondoggle 2013Aficionado
I use one of those heavy duty electrical cord wind up things (a couple bucks at hardware store) to wrap my line up and tie it off. I have a float and a couple of carabiner for quick release.

Anchor size 3 months 5 days ago #10

• Van. Is.
  • Bert
  • 10+ Posts!
Thanks for the tips guys. Got a hundred feet of 1/4" braid, an 8" bright red Taylor buoy, and made a line holder/reel out of the left over 3/8" cutting board I used to make an adapter plate for my Scotty mount to go on my gear track. Just cut it out on the bandsaw and cut a couple narrow slots to pinch the rope to hold it at depth. Locking carabiners to attach float to holder, anchor line to holder, and 8' of the quick release line from line reel though trolley eye to zig zag cleat. Just need to order the anchor. Though I've got 1.5" steel round rod in the shop that I've considered whacking 12-15" off of instead of a grapple anchor. Weld on a half ring and plastidip or powder coat it. We'll see.
Thanks again for the help. :)
  • Page:
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?