Kayak Fishing Ultimate Resource

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Kayak Fishing Answers Forum

TOPIC: Choosing Fish-Finder for Old Town Predator 13

Choosing Fish-Finder for Old Town Predator 13 7 months 2 weeks ago #1

• yakmetoo
  • 10+ Posts!
yesterday I strolled through an outdoor superstore and was shown the Lowrance hook2 5TS as well as some Garmin and Hummingbird that would be in the same "category".

I mostly fly fish and occasional spin fishing in lakes, ponds for trout, bass, pike, and inshore waters / estuaries for striped bass.

I have never had a fish finder on my kayak and am wondering the following:
  1. would the Lowrance model mentioned be preferred over similar priced other brand models?
  2. Can this model's transducer be mounted through the center scupper hole and fit the recess in the bottom of the hull? the transducer is about 10inch long and 1.5 inch wide...
  3. any other tips
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Choosing Fish-Finder for Old Town Predator 13 7 months 2 weeks ago #2

• NE Pennsylvania
  • Spider1
  • 1250+ Posts!
  • Ambassador Medal
It looks like a great unit and it has all the bells and whistles. Don't know how it will fit in your scupper cuz I don't know what boat you have. The thing about scupper mounting is that it's semi-permanent. Not the kind of thing you can put and take too easily. You might want to hang it over the side with an arm mount.

Choosing Fish-Finder for Old Town Predator 13 7 months 2 weeks ago #3

• Apison, TN, USA
  • MontyMurdoch
  • 800+ Posts!
  • 2015 YakAngler Supporter2016 YakAngler SupporterAmbassador Medal2013 YakAngler Supporter 2014 YakAngler Supporter Presidents Day Boondoggle 2013Aficionado
I like the Lowrance units. Hummingbird has come out with some nice units recently. I am still gathering information about Garmin units.

Choosing Fish-Finder for Old Town Predator 13 7 months 2 weeks ago #4

• Upstate NY
  • Stumpkiller
  • 250+ Posts!
  • 2016 YakAngler Supporter
Been there, and it is a hard decision. And know that once you do decide whatever you get will be obsolete in two years.

I had great luck with Raytheon electronics in my crusing sailboats (31 & 34 ft) so I leaned toward their line. I have a Dragonfly 4 Pro that I swap between my kayak and our current 17 ft small sailboat (catboat w/5Hp outboard) that I also fish from. I put a transducer on each and just switch the battery & display over between boats. Very happy with it so far for my needs.

Raymarine also was available with cartography (Navionics +) that had my local 1,200 acre reservoir/lake in the library that came with it. HUGE advantage.
Charlie P.

Perception Sport Sound 12.5

Last Edit: 7 months 2 weeks ago by Stumpkiller.
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?