Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Kayak Fishing Answers Forum

TOPIC: sealing pulley for anchor trolley

sealing pulley for anchor trolley 8 months 3 weeks ago #1

• Ohio
  • crankbait09
  • 50+ Posts!
I installed an anchor trolley on a kayak I just received. I may have jumped the gun a tad, and installed it BEFORE actually seeing where the water line would end up being. All the videos that I watched/used to justify my anchoring location, has me an inch or two above the water line. NOW, I know if I rock from side to side, the rear pulley could very well be below the water line. I used well nuts to secure the front and rear pulley, and no I did NOT use any sealant. just the well nuts. (the rear pulley could have been installed 1-2" higher.) But I'm not re-drilling and filling at this point, just wanting to seal.

If I were to back the screw out of the well nut, and add sealant around the perimeter of the well nut and on the pulley itself, could I run in to any problems? Would the well nut be able to be reused? Or do I pull it out and replace with a new? I'm just trying to make sure no water gets in to the hull. Even if it takes on some water, it's not the end of the world. I couldn't imagine it would be much at all. I would just drain it.

But to avoid any water getting inside, can anyone help me with caulking/sealing?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

sealing pulley for anchor trolley 8 months 3 weeks ago #2

• North Ft. Myers
  • sailor144
  • 10+ Posts!
First, shame on you for using well nuts, they are the worst. Having said that, if installed correctly, you should not have to seal around the rubber insert. As for the screw, you can back it out, and add silicone, but any water that gets by the threads,wouldn't be an issue.

sealing pulley for anchor trolley 8 months 3 weeks ago #3

• Ohio
  • crankbait09
  • 50+ Posts!
well, I used them on my last kayak, and never had any problems. So figured, why not again.
I will play this day by day and see if I take on any water. I don;t have but one location for hull access, so I will see if I see water collecting over time.
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?