Kayak Fishing Ultimate Resource

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Kayak Fishing Answers Forum

TOPIC: What is the best Trolling Motor Setup for Yak?

What is the best Trolling Motor Setup for Yak? 9 months 4 days ago #1

• Ridgecrest, California, USA
  • Kayak_angler
  • 1250+ Posts!
  • 2015 YakAngler Supporter2014 YakAngler Supporter Ambassador MedalColumbus Day Boondoggle 2014 TravelerReviewer
I've been considering installing a trolling motor on my Jackson Coosa HD lately. Does anyone on here have a trolling motor setup on their yak and especially on a Jackson Coosa HD? If you have a trolling motor on your yak, please provide some feedback as to what you have, the good, the bad and any other information you could provide.

Many of the lakes I enjoy fishing are great in the mornings but the afternoons get a bit windy and it would be nice to have a little extra propulsion to get back to shore.
Save the earth. It's the only planet with kayaks, fish & chocolate!!!

2015 Jackson Coosa HD

The administrator has disabled public write access.

What is the best Trolling Motor Setup for Yak? 9 months 4 days ago #2

• Williamsport, PA
  • bigjohn58
  • 250+ Posts!
  • Ambassador MedalReviewer
Best? Torqeedo...not cheap but I love mine!

What is the best Trolling Motor Setup for Yak? 9 months 4 days ago #3

• Kayak_angler
  • 1250+ Posts!
  • 2015 YakAngler Supporter2014 YakAngler Supporter Ambassador MedalColumbus Day Boondoggle 2014 TravelerReviewer
Does the Torqueedo fit the Jackson Coosa HD well? Is it easy to install? I have seen them but not sure what to think about them yet. I've also seen the BassYaks and again not sure what to think of it. I'm trying to get feedback now from others that have been using these to see what they think before plunging in and making the purchase. Thanks for the feedback.

2015 Jackson Coosa HD

What is the best Trolling Motor Setup for Yak? 9 months 4 days ago #4

• Williamsport, PA
  • bigjohn58
  • 250+ Posts!
BassYaks is decent but definitely heavier system then the Torqeedo. Is the Coosa HD fitted for a rudder system? If not then there isn't going to be an easy install no matter what you pick. There is a rear hatch on the Coosa HD so you'll have easy access to mount it. I installed one on a Predator MX which isn't designed for anything like that. It was quite the project!

What is the best Trolling Motor Setup for Yak? 9 months 4 days ago #5

• Kayak_angler
  • 1250+ Posts!
The weight issue is good to know about BassYaks. My Coosa HD isn't fitted for a rudder system. I should have known it wouldn't be easy install, nothing ever seems to come easy. Oh well, I see a project coming in the near future in my garage. :cheer:

2015 Jackson Coosa HD

What is the best Trolling Motor Setup for Yak? 9 months 1 day ago #6

• Williamsport, PA
  • bigjohn58
  • 250+ Posts!
Kayak_angler wrote:
The weight issue is good to know about BassYaks. My Coosa HD isn't fitted for a rudder system. I should have known it wouldn't be easy install, nothing ever seems to come easy. Oh well, I see a project coming in the near future in my garage. :cheer:

It was a great winter project for me! I basically installed a through hall rudder system on my kayak. I drilled a lot of holes so you can't be scared of that! I had to install new foot rests so I could steer the motor. I made a mounting plate in the rear. I'll try to post some photos of my build. Yours should be a hair easier because I think you have a small rear hatch in yours for some access for bolts and whatnot.
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?