Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Kayak Fishing Answers Forum

TOPIC: putting a leash on your rods

putting a leash on your rods 9 months 3 weeks ago #1

• Ohio
  • crankbait09
  • 50+ Posts!
I have never leased my rods, but feel like I probably should. My biggest hang up is possibly the leash getting in the way while I'm fishing.
Does anyone have this type of problem? If not, what do you use, and where do you place the leash so it's not getting tangled up while fishing?

pictures?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

putting a leash on your rods 9 months 2 weeks ago #2

• Upstate NY
  • Stumpkiller
  • 250+ Posts!
  • 2016 YakAngler Supporter
Leashes make a LOT of sense when you stop to consider what goes where if you do a 360 degree roll.

I bought a bunch of 1/4" bungee and Nylon clips and made up some multi-purpose bungees. The clips are easy and fast to attach & detach.

The rod in my hand? Not leashed but I hopefully have the presence of mind to stuff it someplace it will stay while I get back on to of things . . . like my kayak.
Attachments:
Charlie P.

Perception Sport Sound 12.5

putting a leash on your rods 9 months 2 weeks ago #3

• cmonkey
  • 10+ Posts!
I make my own. You can see from the photo that I use velcro...for both rod leashes and paddle leash. Some fence wire crimps, crimping pliers, a bit of shrink tubing, and there you have it. But the real secret is in the line itself. I use a product called Tanglefree Decoy Line, and this stuff will not tangle, will not soak up water, you cannot hook it, and stays pliable in any temperature. I do also use it for duck decoys as well, so bought a whole spool, but I think it can be purchased in smaller amounts, in both drab like I have or clear.

I tend to keep spare rods BEHIND me in holders, such as on a crate. The rod I'm using at the time I don't usually leash, but if I roll at least I'm not losing everything. A trick to using the velcro for a paddle leash is to not put the velcro tight around the paddle shaft, or it will "climb", and in time shorten the tether. If it is loosely put around the handle so it can slide, it will never climb at all. Basically the only tether in front of me is the paddle leash, so really no tangles to speak of.

It's all in that cord though. Hope this helps...nothing to rust or scratch either and very lightweight.

Last Edit: 9 months 2 weeks ago by cmonkey.

putting a leash on your rods 9 months 2 weeks ago #4

• Ohio
  • crankbait09
  • 50+ Posts!
I guess if the rod you're using isn't leashed, if you do in fact roll it, you'd be holding tight to that rod anyway. At least that's my mind set.

thanks for the ideas.
(Sorry I did not respond sooner but I get zero notifications of posts made. I'm trying to get in contact with one of the mods to help me figure out why.)

putting a leash on your rods 8 months 4 weeks ago #5

• Apison, TN, USA
  • MontyMurdoch
  • 800+ Posts!
  • 2015 YakAngler Supporter2016 YakAngler SupporterAmbassador Medal2013 YakAngler Supporter 2014 YakAngler Supporter Presidents Day Boondoggle 2013Aficionado
Lots of videos/websites out there on how to make your own. I only leash what I am not holding.
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?